We are having our engagement/pre-wedding party this summer and I need some help. This is the only party we will have in MN and I know a lot of our family can't make the trip so I want to make it fun. We are on a very tight budget as I am planning on quitting my job to go to school full time (yikes!) but I am pretty good at DIY stuff.

We have rented out a beautiful pavilion located by a lake ( it is MN after all)

Click the image to open in full size.

and the picture doesn't show it but there are 10 very long newer picnic tables that fill the room up. On the far end there is a table of sorts that had plug-ins for electrical outlet that we will be using to warm food.

Soooo I need help making the tables look nice with out spending too much money. I had thought about using table clothes but after seeing that the tables are nice I am going to skip that but am looking for a way to dress the tables up. My idea is to buy thick ribbon ( about 4 inches wide) and have to run the length of the table. Then placing tea light or votive down the center. The problem is that now we are looking at 5 candle holders per table plus the cost of ribbon.

I purchased paper lanterns and am planning on hanging them up and I also have a few hurricane candle holders that will be displayed on the lead table. I am making a tree that will hold fairies and butterflies and also serve a purpose in that the name tags will be clipped to it.

Maybe this is good enough but I would like to hear what else you girls can offer up .

THANKS!

• VIP Member

I like the ribbon idea, or even table runners. I know there were some brides who were trying to sell their runners. Perhaps you could borrow them for the event or get them at a very small cost?

I am pretty sure we had an anniversary party at that park... it is up near Andover? I can't remember the town's name, but it looks really familiar.

I remember the lake, and there was a golf course too- a great place for a party!

i also think this park looks familiar!! i'm sure there are only a few in MN that look like this, ha!

I think what you have is good. It is a park and i think here less is more! I love the paper lantern idea.

Stephanie-

The location looks gorgeous...so I wouldn't spend a lot of money on decorations. I think the ideas that you mentioned are plenty to dress it up just a bit. I really like the natural setting, so I wouldn't want to take away from that with over the top decorations... IMO.

Yep I agree with Susan, your ideas are really good and enough without overdoing it. I went to a similar event once where they rented a bubble machine and that was neat to have bubbles floating around but it may be too much. I really like your ideas, simple but festive.

I would go to your local fabric store and buy material, its usually much cheaper and this way you can pick the exact color you want if you can't find it already made. Then they sell double sided tape for fabric so you can finish off the sides or bottoms of the runner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamsgrrl View Post
I would go to your local fabric store and buy material, its usually much cheaper and this way you can pick the exact color you want if you can't find it already made. Then they sell double sided tape for fabric so you can finish off the sides or bottoms of the runner.
Great Idea! Thanks.