Photo

Invitations - FI is a Jr but doesn't use it.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jk1101

jk1101
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:07 AM

So FI's full name is James Michael Whoever, Jr.
    He goes by Jim.

I wanted to do more informal invitations and just use our first and last names so
    Michele Somebody
    and
    Jim Whoever

but do I need to use the Jr?

His father, ie the Senior, is not invited, and FI can't stand him. I've only met him once. He considers his stepfather to be his father and that is who will be at the wedding.

Thoughts?
    Ettiquete police?

#2 Amarillis

Amarillis
    • 1,913 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:12 AM

I don't think you need to use the Jr. -- if FI doesn't use it, you don't need it included on your invites.

#3 Andi

Andi

VIP Member

• VIP Member
      • 3,490 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:15 AM

my DH is a Jr. as well....he uses it pretty often though so we had it on our invites. Like Amy said, if your FI doesn't use it very often then you should leave it out especially if he doesn't really have a relationship with his dad.

oh also forgot, as far as etiquette goes....our entire wedding went against the traditional "etiquette" so I would say whatever you guys are most comfortable with. Ask your FI...what does he want? if he doesn't want it on there, then don't put and don't worry about what people "might" say....afterall it is your wedding!

#4 becks

becks

VIP

• VIP Member
        • 4,881 posts
        • Wedding Date:August 9, 2008
        • Wedding Location:Riviera Maya
        • LocationNew York

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:17 AM

As long as there is no chance for confusion (and if FIL isn't coming, I don't see how there could be), then there's no reason you should feel compelled to use them. So, go for it - let Jim be Jim!!!

Happily married since 2008

Allurements by Rebecca - Destination Wedding Invitations and more

#5 meghan

meghan
        • 832 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:19 AM

I would probably not use the Jr, especially since he doesn't get along with his dad, the Senior. i think using Jr links him more to his dad. But I would do whatever your FI wants.

#6 super19

super19
          • 1,123 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:51 AM

I would skip it if he doesn't use it and especially if he doesn't get along with the Sr.

#7 Outdoor_girl1010

Outdoor_girl1010
            • 657 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:56 AM

I kinda have the same issues, but my FI name is Greggory Alen .... II He goes by Cory. I have never called him Greg and never will. His own parents do not even call him Greg, so is it okay that we put Cory? I think if we put Greg some people might not even know who it is other than the last name.
              Cory & Jennifer
              March 13, 2010Punta Cana D.R.!!http://i150.photobuc....3/IMG_6740.jpg

#8 Sloan

Sloan
              • 1,279 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 12:15 PM

Im not the etiquette police by any standard, but I agree with most - if he doesnt use it, then I wouldnt put it on the invites. We didnt use my full name on our invites either. My real name is Kathleen, but no one calls me that ever. We just used Kayte.

#9 jk1101

jk1101
                • 2,582 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 12:48 PM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Outdoor_girl1010
                  I kinda have the same issues, but my FI name is Greggory Alen .... II He goes by Cory. I have never called him Greg and never will. His own parents do not even call him Greg, so is it okay that we put Cory? I think if we put Greg some people might not even know who it is other than the last name.
                  I'd use Cory on the invitation if nobody knows the name Greg.

I'm going to show FI the invitation tonight and ask him if he wants the Jr in it or not.

#10 Jess

Jess
                  • 4,455 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 12:53 PM

If he isn't close with his dad and he isn't invited - I wouldn't see any reason to use the Jr - especially since you are doing informal invites. Are any of his extended family invited though that would be offended by not using it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users