Sign in to follow this  
jk1101

Invitations - FI is a Jr but doesn't use it.

So FI's full name is James Michael Whoever, Jr.

He goes by Jim.

I wanted to do more informal invitations and just use our first and last names so

Michele Somebody

and

Jim Whoever

but do I need to use the Jr?

His father, ie the Senior, is not invited, and FI can't stand him. I've only met him once. He considers his stepfather to be his father and that is who will be at the wedding.

Thoughts?

Ettiquete police?

my DH is a Jr. as well....he uses it pretty often though so we had it on our invites. Like Amy said, if your FI doesn't use it very often then you should leave it out especially if he doesn't really have a relationship with his dad.

oh also forgot, as far as etiquette goes....our entire wedding went against the traditional "etiquette" so I would say whatever you guys are most comfortable with. Ask your FI...what does he want? if he doesn't want it on there, then don't put and don't worry about what people "might" say....afterall it is your wedding! wink.gif

As long as there is no chance for confusion (and if FIL isn't coming, I don't see how there could be), then there's no reason you should feel compelled to use them. So, go for it - let Jim be Jim!!!

I would probably not use the Jr, especially since he doesn't get along with his dad, the Senior. i think using Jr links him more to his dad. But I would do whatever your FI wants.

I kinda have the same issues, but my FI name is Greggory Alen .... II He goes by Cory. I have never called him Greg and never will. His own parents do not even call him Greg, so is it okay that we put Cory? I think if we put Greg some people might not even know who it is other than the last name.

Im not the etiquette police by any standard, but I agree with most - if he doesnt use it, then I wouldnt put it on the invites. We didnt use my full name on our invites either. My real name is Kathleen, but no one calls me that ever. We just used Kayte.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoor_girl1010 View Post
I kinda have the same issues, but my FI name is Greggory Alen .... II He goes by Cory. I have never called him Greg and never will. His own parents do not even call him Greg, so is it okay that we put Cory? I think if we put Greg some people might not even know who it is other than the last name.
I'd use Cory on the invitation if nobody knows the name Greg.

I'm going to show FI the invitation tonight and ask him if he wants the Jr in it or not.

If he isn't close with his dad and he isn't invited - I wouldn't see any reason to use the Jr - especially since you are doing informal invites. Are any of his extended family invited though that would be offended by not using it?