Photo

drunk SPEECHES?!?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#11 cruisebride0410

cruisebride0410
  • 178 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 09:27 PM

At the last wedding I went to the father gave a speech, my FI (a co-best man), the other best man, two MOHs, and then these two random ladies who were friends with the bride's mom got up and each gave speeches. It turned into an open mic night! I think it's important to set limits on who gets to give speeches so they don't take the whole reception. I have heard a lot of drunken speeches, so I like the idea of doing them at the rehearsal dinner.

#12 Jocy

Jocy
    • 209 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 04:31 PM

I'm torn on this one as the speeches are my favorite part of any wedding and probably what I'm looking forward to the most about my own wedding!!

Although it's not tradition for MOH to do a speech in the Scotland so I'm saving my Sisters the stress and putting all the pressure on my pops!!

I can't wait!

#13 boscobel

boscobel
      • VIP Member
      • 24,213 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 04:46 PM

We skipped speeches for our wedding, but our best man ended up saying something nice b/c he wanted to. I told my sister that she didn't have to b/c I was her MOH a few years ago and I can NOT talk in front of people, so I didn't want to make her do something that I was unable to do myself.

But I was in a wedding this weekend where the best man had a totally inappropriate speech, so if you are afraid of what might come out, skip it!

(He talked about the divorce rate, he said "fucking" when talking about the priests homily, he mentioned how he could see down the brides dress while standing, etc. It actually goes on and on how bad it was)

#14 blumenthale

blumenthale
        • 242 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 05:57 PM

I have heard great some great speeches at weddings and what they all had in common, was that they were SHORT! Do what makes you happy and assign some one to take control ( create a diversion, etc) if the speech is too long or goes bad.

#15 *Lo*

*Lo*
          • 2,993 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 06:03 PM

I plan to have my brother be in charge of the microphone and control speeches. I actually don't care if drunk people make speeches as long as they are short. Cause I know most people will be drunk by then and probably I will too. I am weird I hope people make hilarious drunk speeches. And I hope it's captured on video.

So for me, the key is short.

#16 jajajaja

jajajaja
            • VIP Member
            • 9,794 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 06:29 PM

haha Lori- we ended up with really funny drunkish speeches too. I liked it and thought it was funny. We had some good laughs.
              Happily married since 2008

#17 SusieQ

SusieQ
              • 1,603 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 06:57 PM

Ok I know I posted this story in another thread it totally belongs here:
                I was at a friend's daughters wedding a few years ago the grooms parents were divorced for a number of years, however there was some unresolved anger issues there. During the speeches the dad of the groom gets up to speak..(few drinks into him) he went on to say how much he loved his only son and how pround he was. Then on to his new daughter inlaw and how brides how always look so beautiful on their wedding day and he was so confused how the world ended up with so many F*cking ugly ex wives. Well you could of heard a pin drop in a hall of 200 people. He continues on to put his glass up for a toast and says " I hope she not like your mother and leaves you with at least the shirt on your back and pants on your ass. At this point someone is taking him away.......after the shock wore off and I was heading home I laughed so hard I thought i would put the car off the road.
                sorry if I am repeating... However is this not your worst nightmare:

#18 boscobel

boscobel
                • VIP Member
                • 24,213 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:25 PM

Yeah, I don't mind the drunk speeches. I went to a wedding last October where the best man was so drunk that he was swaying and slurring and not making ANY sense. And that's just comical. Not sure how the bride felt about that, but I woulda thought it was funny. I just don't think it's appropriate to talk about exes or divorce. That's ahole material.

#19 NewYorkie

NewYorkie
                  • 80 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:16 PM

I agree with everyone that says it depends on the crowd. As for me, I attended a wedding where the bestman, the groom's brother was totally trashed and got so off topic that everyone who was sober were nodding their heads in shame. In the end for mumbled his last few sentences and yelled don't mess with **** brothers.....lol! I bet they couldn't wait for that inspiring speech on tape.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users