Jump to content

Photo

Reception Timeline?


  • Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#51 cinnagirl

cinnagirl
  • Jr. Member
  • 261 posts

    Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:50 AM

    I like the idea of speeches in bits and pieces between the dinner courses. Is anyone's parents making speeches? This is a common thing at the local weddings I've been to, but I don't seem to see any parent speeches on these timelines (unless I totally missed it). Is this different with DWs?



    #52 Peach

    Peach
    • Sr. Member
    • 1,293 posts

      Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:09 AM

      Originally Posted by cinnagirl 

      I like the idea of speeches in bits and pieces between the dinner courses. Is anyone's parents making speeches? This is a common thing at the local weddings I've been to, but I don't seem to see any parent speeches on these timelines (unless I totally missed it). Is this different with DWs?

       

      I generally think that one of the great things about DW is that you can do it however you want! If you want to include parents speeches, do it! 

      The local weddings I have gone to do parents speeches as a "welcome to the family" one. So FI's parents will probably do one  (FI is an only child) but mine will be open to my parents or any of my siblings (if any come... drama). If they don't come, we will just ask FI's parents to say something nice. I usually love the parents' speeches... some of the fathers of the bride ones are the best ones I have heard!

      So if you want to include it, go for it!



      #53 whatsup

      whatsup
      • Newbie
      • 110 posts

        Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:26 AM

        for all the weddings I've been to, usually the parents speeches are pretty generic, if a sibling is speaking sometimes they can do the "parents speech" to many speeches makes the evening too long for the guests. no open mike option



        #54 cinnagirl

        cinnagirl
        • Jr. Member
        • 261 posts

          Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:44 AM

          Originally Posted by whatsup 

          for all the weddings I've been to, usually the parents speeches are pretty generic, if a sibling is speaking sometimes they can do the "parents speech" to many speeches makes the evening too long for the guests. no open mike option

          Yes, exactly. And while I don't think it'll be an issue at my wedding as my parents and his aren't really big on lengthy speeches, I have been to weddings where the parents speeches were the longest and held up the rest of the night. 

           

          I guess I'll ask the parents and see if they want to makes speeches. Maybe no one does and it'll make it easy on me. :)



          #55 PuntaBride

          PuntaBride
          • Jr. Member
          • 313 posts

            Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:11 AM

            Originally Posted by cinnagirl 

            Yes, exactly. And while I don't think it'll be an issue at my wedding as my parents and his aren't really big on lengthy speeches, I have been to weddings where the parents speeches were the longest and held up the rest of the night. 

             

            I guess I'll ask the parents and see if they want to makes speeches. Maybe no one does and it'll make it easy on me. :)

             

             

            My ceremony is at 1:00pm and reception not until 6:30.  This is not my first choice.  I really wanted it to be later in the day, but that is not an option.  Anyone have any insight on timelines for this scenerio?  It would be helpful.  Not sure what to do with the time inbetween!  Don't want "the party" starting too early!



            #56 jello

            jello
            • Newbie
            • 128 posts

              Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:30 AM

              Originally Posted by PuntaBride 

               

               

              My ceremony is at 1:00pm and reception not until 6:30.  This is not my first choice.  I really wanted it to be later in the day, but that is not an option.  Anyone have any insight on timelines for this scenerio?  It would be helpful.  Not sure what to do with the time inbetween!  Don't want "the party" starting too early!

               

              You could make a beach day out of it and hang out with your guests by the ocean for the afternoon.  You can wear a bikini that says "just married" and have a margarita toast to your new status. 

               

              Or, go off with your new husband for some alone time and let your guests fend for themselves for a few hours.  They're in paradise, they'll be just fine.  If you're really worried about them being bored, you could ask your maid-of-honor / best-man to plan a group activity for the afternoon. 



              #57 Ryves

              Ryves
              • Jr. Member
              • 157 posts

                Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:04 AM

                Thanks guys. I just got an idea.



                #58 agm04

                agm04
                • Member
                • 548 posts

                  Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:55 AM

                  Originally Posted by cinnagirl 

                  I like the idea of speeches in bits and pieces between the dinner courses. Is anyone's parents making speeches? This is a common thing at the local weddings I've been to, but I don't seem to see any parent speeches on these timelines (unless I totally missed it). Is this different with DWs?

                  I think my parents (Dad) will still want to do a speech at the reception.  I'm from TX, and even though it's a DW, traditions die hard!  Haha.  Since my parents are "hosting", I'm sure they will want to say welcome, thank you for coming, etc.



                  #59 mrsnova

                  mrsnova
                  • Jr. Member
                  • 280 posts

                    Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:37 AM

                    I had a hard time deciding my reception timeline at first. We are not very traditional and want it to be casual and not dragged out with speeches and traditional elements of a reception (especially since we only have 3 hours for the reception!) Here is what I have so far:

                     

                    7:00-7:15- Bride & Groom entrance & greetings (no wedding party entrance)

                    7:15-8:15- 4 course served dinner *speeches/toasts in between courses (very short and minimal)

                    8:15- First dance

                    8:20- Father/daughter dance

                    8:25- Mother/son dance

                    8:30- Tribute song to parents

                    8:35-9:00- Dancing & fun!

                    9:00-9:10- Cut cake

                    9:10-10:00- More dancing & fun!


                    Married to the man of my dreams 3.1.13!!
                    wedding website: http://kaelaandjoel.ourwedding.com/
                    planning thread: http://www.bestdesti...g-thread-3-1-13

                    #60 Ryves

                    Ryves
                    • Jr. Member
                    • 157 posts

                      Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:13 PM

                      For cruising brides will the coordinators give a time line?






                      0 user(s) are reading this topic

                      0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users