• 3,639 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 03:34 PM

Here is a link to my thread

http://bestdestinati...om/forum/t46358

#23 karenk77

karenk77
      • 369 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 06:49 PM

OOOOO they are both beautiful!! I didnt read through the entire thread..but from what I understand you went with the first right?

#24 *HOLLY*

*HOLLY*
        • Banned
        • 3,639 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 08:59 PM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by karenk77
          OOOOO they are both beautiful!! I didnt read through the entire thread..but from what I understand you went with the first right?
          Yes I did. I will be taking the straps off though! They also suggested I can cut off the train of the dress underneath and just keep the lace beading as a train which would take lots of weight off the dress. No sure if I am going to anymore. I will check with my BM's this weekend to see what they think!

#25 karenk77

karenk77
          • 369 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 09:07 PM

I am so glad you said that because while the 2nd is beautiful..i think the one you chose looks so beautiful on you and gives you such a nice figure. I think you made the right choice.

#26 *HOLLY*

*HOLLY*
            • Banned
            • 3,639 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 09:30 PM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by karenk77
              I am so glad you said that because while the 2nd is beautiful..i think the one you chose looks so beautiful on you and gives you such a nice figure. I think you made the right choice.
              Thank you! Now go out and find your perfect dress :) I WANT PICS :)
              HAHAHA

#27 KarenM

KarenM
              • 1,920 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 09:36 PM

Hey K! So glad you had such a great experience! Definitely a good idea to try on a bunch more dresses, but at least you found one you really like already! Sounds like a great day!

-long post alert-

So, my story isn't really all that funny; more annoying with funniness sprinkled in, but I had to laugh about the nonsense (some of it my own).
                First, back in Jan. I went to RK Bridal & had an attendant who was nice, but somewhat blunt, and she told me I was looking at all the wrong dress styles for my "womanly" body type. nice. Great way to start off by telling me I'm a fat-ass, right? I had been looking at lace, sort of straight/sheath or minimally trumpet styles & thought they'd be good for curves (& still do) but she was trying to convince me to get a bigger a-line style. I kept insisting I didn't want a big dress and was clear from the beginning that I wanted a beachy, light, minimally bedazzled dress since we're getting married on the beach in MX. It was like she didn't hear me! ugg. I stayed open-minded and tried all her crap on, but knew I wasn't getting any of them. I had pretty much given up on the idea of a lace sheath-style from that one visit which was kinda depressing since I had really thought that's what I wanted, but whatever.

So, fast forward like 6 months & I decide to try again; this time at Macy's. I already have a bug up my butt about Macy's that's totally unrelated, but this visit DID NOT help change my opinion. I had an appt & brought a friend w/ me and the attendant (and I use this term very loosely) was ridiculous. She asked me what I was looking for (which is fine) & I told her "getting married on a beach - think beachy, chiffon maybe, light-weight, & simple". I start looking through their gowns and one is worse than the next. Like one in the whole store is anything close to what I'm looking for. They're all designed by 1 dude who seems to approach gown design/embellishment like a kindergarten abstract painter. It looked like beading & lace & crap was literally just thrown on. He'd have a semi-pretty dress and then totally ruin it with random appliques or something gross. It actually was so funny my friend & I couldn't stop giggling. The attendant brought me some gowns, mostly big poof-monsters (one of which was bright pink), even though I had told her that's not what I wanted, because she really didn't have anything else to offer. Then at one point she says to me "honey, if you don't tell me what you want I really can't help you". Seriously?!? ha! We left the store laughing.

Then I tried David's Bridal in Manhattan and that was just a joke all around. First of all, who decides it's a good idea to go try on wedding dresses after they get their eyes dilated at the optometrist?!? Yeah, that's right. I do. I seriously couldn't even see my watch much less details on a wedding dress but I had the appt so I stumbled myself over there. It didn't help that the salesgirl couldn't be bothered to help me so I lugged dresses around and picked what I thought I wanted (mind you I still couldn't really see!). So I tried on like 3 dresses & figured there was no point so I left. Why do I do this to myself?

The story ends well though. In the beginning of July my two friends who've been going shopping w/ me decided we needed to go looking in NJ since one of them had a car for the weekend. So last minute I call a David's Bridal in Paramus to see if they have an appt for that same day and they did so we went. And it was really really nice! I felt like I was in a real bridal salon instead of the Mickey-D's of bride stores. :) The lady helping me was wonderful & really listened to me. I tried on a bunch of dresses - even some crazy ones my friends picked that I never would've tried. Anyway, long story short I found my dress! And it was $100 off! yay! I ordered it the same day and it came in like 2 weeks later so I already have it and I keep trying it on. :) Funny thing is, it's exactly like what I started out wanting in the first place.

Here's the dress
                Click the image to open in full size.

Sorry for the long post!! Definitely let us know how the dress-hunt goes!
                :)
                K~

#28 islandbride317

islandbride317
                • 1,866 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 05:36 AM

KarenK -- so glad you had a great dress-trying-on experience, love!

Don't feel pressured by ANYONE (family, friends, or salesclerk) to buy anything that doesn't "speak" to you as YOUR wedding gown!

#29 KarenM

KarenM
                  • 1,920 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:37 AM

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Scubadiva
                    Yes I did. I will be taking the straps off though! They also suggested I can cut off the train of the dress underneath and just keep the lace beading as a train which would take lots of weight off the dress. No sure if I am going to anymore. I will check with my BM's this weekend to see what they think!
                    Holly, that dress is so lovely on you and I think it'll look even prettier w/o the straps. I def like it better than the 2nd, though I see why you liked that too.

I also want to have the train fabric removed from underneath the lace. I think it'll look cool on the sand with just the lace.

#30 *HOLLY*

*HOLLY*
                    • Banned
                    • 3,639 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 10:31 AM

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by KarenM
                      Holly, that dress is so lovely on you and I think it'll look even prettier w/o the straps. I def like it better than the 2nd, though I see why you liked that too.

I also want to have the train fabric removed from underneath the lace. I think it'll look cool on the sand with just the lace.
                      Totally with the lace going over the sand very pretty :) Thank you!
                      Im glad you had a good experiance one point at DB! Mine sucked big time!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users