Scared of dress shopping anyone?

karenk77

Yeah, easy for me to say as I stuffed my face w/ cheese sticks & pizza for dinner. well, there's always tomorrow. or monday.

Didn't you know? You HAVE to go out to eat after dress/bathing suit shopping b/c you starve yourself before going! he he

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yah I'm glad to read this tonight! I went dress shopping today and it was both good and bad. This was day #2, stores 3 + 4. The first place I had a girl helping me who was very nice, didn't often even offer an opinion but was young and honestly might not have been able to know what changes to a dress would work best for me. But I found two dresses that are on "the list" of ones that I really liked, but just don't know if I LOVE them. The second place I didn't enjoy. They try to give you a more upscale experience by creating a semi-private environment for you, except that it also meant I wasn't really allowed to go searching through the dresses in the room - I had to tell the woman what I liked/disliked and hope that she brought me something close. There were a few details that I knew I didn't like upfront, and after trying on a couple that still had some part of those details, I finally just refused to even zip up, lace up whatever. The sales girl was not too impressed that I flat out told her not to bother lacing up one dress. Finally, FINALLY she started to get the idea of the shape I wanted and then said 'oh sorry we don't have time for more' because it was about closing time. I'm fine when a store needs to close - I worked retail long enough - but I was really unimpressed that they had half the lights off already and that when I got into my car, it was ten minutes earlier than their actual closing time. It honestly felt like she was just tired of trying to help me. Needless to say, despite liking one single dress that I tried on, it wasn't a perfect enough dress to really make me want to return.

I'm just starting to really feel bummed out by the whole dress event. There are lots of dresses that I like part of, and some that I like all of... but there still hasn't been the ONE. It makes it more difficult to keep going back, you know??

Ugh, definitely need the glass of wine tonight!!

I've found that sometimes it's best to take a break in between shopping. I went to look for dresses about three weeks ago and I made a few appointments to check out some next week. It can be exhausting and I don't want to make a quick decision and not like my dress next year.

echo, I totally feel you..and you're in the same boat as me because our weddings are kind of around the same time so we have limited time.

And I agree...i think its so much better if you can see the dresses and then decide what you want to try on..but most stores dont have that..not the boutiquey ones ive been to anyway..but hang on..dont give up..ull find something you love.

maybe first go and try on different sillouhettes(spelling?) to see what shape you think fits your body best, so that ateast you know the shape your looking for and now when you go into stores it will be easier? then atleast part of the confusion is less?

thanks Karen77! I think the biggest confusion is that I'm torn between two styles that are very different and highlight different features on me. Everyone keeps asking which I like better but the problem is that I like them both for completely different reasons!!

I'll just keep at it and last resort, I might take a flight down to Seattle since I think that's the closest retailer for a line of dresses that I really REALLY liked! We'll just have to wait and see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo2_62 View Post
thanks Karen77! I think the biggest confusion is that I'm torn between two styles that are very different and highlight different features on me. Everyone keeps asking which I like better but the problem is that I like them both for completely different reasons!!

I'll just keep at it and last resort, I might take a flight down to Seattle since I think that's the closest retailer for a line of dresses that I really REALLY liked! We'll just have to wait and see!
You are in the same situation I was in before! I ended up posting pics on here and had the ladies take a poll. They were so differant but beautiful in there own way. I fianlly made my decision and im sticking with it. We went BM dress shopping yesterday so I got to try it on again and I know I made the right choice!