Scared of dress shopping anyone?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 karenk77

karenk77
  • 369 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 04:28 PM

Ok so tomorrow i'm going dress shopping for the 1st time and im scared lol
    just curious of anyone else felt that way..im not scared in your typical bride way of not finding a dress i love or anything like that..i'm scared that the sales people are going to annoy the crap out of me and i have no patience WHATSOEVER..even the phone convo got me annoyed lol
    what to do?

#2 *HOLLY*

*HOLLY*
    • Banned
    • 3,639 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 04:31 PM

Just enjoy it. Sometimes you will get a lady who helps you out that you want to smack in the mouth but take it all in. It is so much fun trying on dresses. My advice at most is to branch out and if it looks funny on the hanger sometimes it can be the one! Good luck! Remember to take pics!!!

#3 KittenHeart

KittenHeart
      • 3,103 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 04:36 PM

Great advice Scubadiva!

I'm the SAME way, I love shopping but I was scared to death to try on dresses! I thought it was gonna be a nightmare. I brought 3 girls with me the first time and we made a girls day of it. Stopped by Starbucks on the way out, I mapped out all the places I wanted to check out. We had a sushi lunch together and got frozen yogurt it was a great day. Granted I didn't find ANYTHING remotely close that day and the last chick irritated all my girls more than me even because I was just not going to let anyone get me down.

We all had a fabulous day and I tried on dresses I never would have thought looked good that did and found out that the dress type I was after looked terrible on me, it was a learning experience which later led me to going at it alone and finding the one :)

Just don't freak out, relax, you'll find it and know when you have, enjoy finding your dress because it doesn't happen again!

#4 karenk77

karenk77
        • 369 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 04:36 PM

Thats what worries me..you have to have a certain personality to work with brides and that personality doesn't mesh well with mine lol..i mean granted i can make friends with a rock i'm super friendly..but when those overly excited woman that just loooooooooove working with women get to me i want to shoot myself in the leg.

#5 *HOLLY*

*HOLLY*
          • Banned
          • 3,639 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 04:43 PM

Some of the good bridal consultants are good with all types of brides hopefully that is in the cards for you because I would hate to get shot in the leg, hahaha

#6 slapsappyhappy

slapsappyhappy
            • 443 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 04:51 PM

I know what you mean about that type of bridal consultant... they think they know what you like and then they give you the granny dresses, lol! It is a laugh though, you have to look at it that way... I am more scared about picking the wrong dress though. I went with my mom and the bridal consultant and tried on a dress that I LOVED and she kept tell me I looked great it was gorgeous, then came back 2 days later with my sis and cousin and the exact words were: "you look like a parachute, or a sack of potatoes, it does nothing for you" so just DON"T LISTEN TO THE BRIDAL CONSULTANT!!! even if she tells you something looks good get a few other opinions!

#7 karenk77

karenk77
              • 369 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 04:55 PM

lmao! im sure u looked great and not like a parachute..that actually reminds me when i was in college i worked pt in a regular dress shop for like a month( love clothes just not the people that hawk u to sell them) so I would tell people take that off..or go up the block the other store has better dresses..what a commodity i was lol

#8 KittenHeart

KittenHeart
                • 3,103 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 05:17 PM

HAHA! Man I hated those... I got kinda mean with one after I kept telling her bring me NOTHING with beads or bling and that's ALL she brought me. The girl I ended up buy from was so similar to me I wanted to go get drinks with afterwards :) We would put on a dress and cock our heads to one side and both be like.... no, next! It was great.

#9 Love3

Love3
                  • 785 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 05:28 PM

if you go in with a negative attitude what do expect the out come to be? Just be positive and have an open mind. Good luck
                    ~Heather~

#10 kt1011

kt1011
                    • 21 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 05:42 PM

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by karenk77
                      Ok so tomorrow i'm going dress shopping for the 1st time and im scared lol
                      just curious of anyone else felt that way..im not scared in your typical bride way of not finding a dress i love or anything like that..i'm scared that the sales people are going to annoy the crap out of me and i have no patience WHATSOEVER..even the phone convo got me annoyed lol
                      what to do?
                      Awe don't be scared. They are only trying to help, and if they get a little to agressive, just simply tell them to lol. Well good luck and happy dress shopping, I have not purchased my dress but I am narrowed down to 3 that I have already tried on and taken pictures in, etc...My wedding is in July 2010 so I probably won't buy a dress until Dec/Jan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users