Should I book now OR wait????

Ok, i need some help outside of my family and friends.

I have a group rate with Sunwing for our trip to the Majestic Colonial in July 2010. I only have until this Wednesday to book 10 people and reserve this rate until April 2010.

Most of my family and friends think these rates are too high and I should wait it out but then I talk to people who have been to the Majestic they all think my rate is a good one? I am listing my quote below, i need some advice on what to do.

Jul 20 departure

$1189.00 + $309.00 tax = $1498.00 per adult / $899.00 + $309.00 tax = $1208.0 per child

Jul 17 departure

$1299.00 + $309.00 tax = $1608.00 per adult / $1009.00 + $309.00 tax = $1318.00 per child

Suggestions?

I went through the same thing (also with Sunwing)... our quote was only good for a few days and then we would've had to re-quote.

I decided to go ahead with it and for ease/speed, I put up an e-vite page to spread the word and collect responses. It was pretty stressful and I felt that it was a bit of a pressure tactic by Sunwing, but it was a one time sale and I checked with a few other TA's who all confirmed it was a good rate/sale.

In the end, we got 26 people who booked (and have to pay the full amount by October) and probably another 20 people who are going to wait until next year and try to book.

The rates you posted above sound about right to me for that resort, it was one of the ones we looked into as well.

And Sunwing doesn't have great children's rates, so we're waiting to see if those go down before any of the parents with children book. There should be some promotions - because seriously, how much do kids eat/drink?!

I kinda had the same issue...From Regina to Puerto Plata Staying at a Riu resort we are paying with tax $1605 for 1 week all inclusive. We are going mid February which is high season but most of our friends think it's to expensive. All our family has put down the deposits, but no friends who say they are coming but wanting to book last minute to get a good deal. My travel agent has advised against doing this because first out resort has less than 500 rooms, so they will fill up quickly and also if they do fill up really your guest can't come to your wedding if they are not at your resort. I know our resort requires 80% of guests to be staying at our hotel or they cannot come.

I would really try to encourage people to pay ahead of time, this is not just a vacation this is your wedding. I feel that for our situation, the people who truly cared about us have already booked.

This is really truly a touchy subject... I have been looking into quotes for my wedding next July (2010) and the rates were good, but it meant that all of my guests that paid deposits had to be completely paid up before Nov. 30th, 2009. There is no way that my guests have that kind of money just laying around, and some people are paying for themselves and their kids! We are waiting until after the early booking period to check out rates, because after that period the rates are what they will be (except for last minute packages) and it gives people until 60 days before the wedding to pay for their vacations. Just our way of doing it! :)

I didn't have quite the same scenario but my experience might be helpful. My wedding is November 27th 2009 and I had about 20 guests put a deposit for their rooms in January and this locked in their rate. Well, now the hotel is having a sale and the rooms are 35-40% off. Because I saw the rates and have an ok TA we were able to rebook all of the rooms for the lower rate and some people are saving hundreds of dollars and others just upgraded their rooms. The process to re-book was very time consuming and we really had to press the hotel to get the rates.

One thing I will say is book your flight as soon as the rates become available. When our flights first came out they were $426 and the same flight now is over $1000. I will say that if you book a direct flight early it may be split up. 2 of ours were.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefiner View Post
Ok, i need some help outside of my family and friends.

I have a group rate with Sunwing for our trip to the Majestic Colonial in July 2010. I only have until this Wednesday to book 10 people and reserve this rate until April 2010.

Most of my family and friends think these rates are too high and I should wait it out but then I talk to people who have been to the Majestic they all think my rate is a good one? I am listing my quote below, i need some advice on what to do.

Jul 20 departure
$1189.00 + $309.00 tax = $1498.00 per adult / $899.00 + $309.00 tax = $1208.0 per child

Jul 17 departure
$1299.00 + $309.00 tax = $1608.00 per adult / $1009.00 + $309.00 tax = $1318.00 per child

Suggestions?
Those rates don't look too bad. I was quoted $1304 for May 2010 out of Newark NJ in the USA. However my TA called the airline directly and reserved 20 seats on the plane and this gave my guests 2 weeks to book their tickets. Once I had 10 people the airline pushed the date back to Feb 2010 to book...so some of the last minute people still have time and less pressure to book.

I checked through westjetvacations.com and I checked everyday. Those prices sound great for Ontario to PC in July.

My wedding is October - low season. When I booked my ticket in March it was $1323. Prices fluctuated weekly and sometimes daily. One time it was even $2000 for an October package which was ridiculous seeing as that's what I paid for a January package. Well, today the price is down to $1270 and that's flying from Thunder Bay to PC.

I found westjetvacations to be my cheapest option. BUT make sure you have a date with the co-ordinator FIRST! (don't know if you did that already).

I do have a date booked, Wednesday July 21st. The flight schedule with Sunwing (who i have the rates with) is currently Tuesday to Tuesday. So we would be getting married the day after we arrive.

I have only until tomorrow to make our decision.... ohh what to do?