My TA is killing me!

jk1101

There have been threads about DestinationWeddings.com and I have not really said much because my TA has been ok.

She got my guests what seemed to be a good price for a 4 night stay at the resort and even volunteered that it would be cheaper for my guests to book their own travel on Air Jamaica. It bothered me that they'd have to do this, but I thought it was nice that she was giving me "inside" advice.

So now my friend went to talk to the AAA TA we used to book our DR trip last year, and she quoted her a price $400 less PER PERSON for the same amount of nights!!!!!

And found out that we could fly Continental rather than Air Jamaica (a lot of us have enough points to fly free) as they are flying DIRECT from our closest airport 3 days a week. But the fare is about the same if you pay for the tickets.

Seriouslyhuh.gif?

I emailed her last night with all of the details and asked her how she intended to handle this because she is going to lose all of my guests. She wrote back that she would see what she could do.

PLUS I could probably get my trip cheaper and it's already booked through her and I have 10 rooms held at the hotel?

I seriously walked in the door from vacation to this and to finding out I didn't get the job I interviewed for and with PMS so I was bawling...

Anyone have any advice on how to handle?

I'm so sorry for you, this is never a good situation to be in. As for the TA situation, although your trip is booked I will stay on top of her to see if she can offer the better deal to your guests and also ask if there is anything she can do to adjust your trip as well. In the meantime grab a bowl of your favorite ice cream and a heating pad and watch a good chick-flick to keep your mind on other things. I hope everything works out with the TA situation and that another job comes your way that is even better!

Please keep in mind that travel pricing is fluid and changes daily - when she provided the original quote it may have been higher and now there may be a sale. Sorta like when you purchase a gallon of milk at the store- you buy it at one price then they run a sale a week or two later and it's half the price.

Also the airlaines add new routes all the time ( and don't get me started on how ofdten th eprices change for flights) - then they cancel them or change them if they are not selling like they should. Sometimes they are the same year after year- more often though they tweak the weeks each year.

This year has been a strange one- pricing is all over the board- sales are rampant but sporadic-which at times means our suppliers haven't quite caught up with getting everything loaded and unloaded in their systems!

Unfortunately as TA's we don't have a crystal ball to say what will happen & when (I would love it if I had one though-woohoo-believe me I'd be traveling all the time!). We can only provide advice based on years prior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA Maureen View Post
It sounds like you signed a group contract if you have 10 rooms blocked off? If you sign a group contract you are agreeing to pay that price for those rooms. I try to explain to brides all the time that it is not always best to get locked into group rates but they iften insist since they have a group they want that group rate. It isn't always the best deal. yeah you may get the 26th passenger free or something like that but that's not really a big deal if your group can book individually an take advanatge of sale rates going on at the time of their booking. i can often get individual bookings adjusted and get the sale rate for my clients but a group contract often is binding.

Hopefully your TA is one of the good ones and she will look into it and see what can be done and maybe there is something that can be done.
She did tell me that the price was locked as that it wouldn't go higher but if it went down she could get the lower rate. But now that I'm reading the contract over, that is not stipulated in there. I'm going to lose money if everyone books through the other TA, but I can't stop them if it saves them money...and now FI is involved which I was trying not to have happen. this is awful.

Geez... $400 less is a lot to save for each guest. Plus, the fact that some guests can travel for free... I hope that agent can help out. I do agree that travel rates change so often sometimes from one minute to the next- Im sure it wasn't done on intentionally - it's just a chance we take.

I worked with DW.com too and had the same thing happen with Mexico and the swine flu. DId you already pay in full? If not, I would say go ahead and lose your $150 deposit and cancel with them and rebook the cheaper route. That is what I wish we had done.

FI was so good about letting me do whatever I wanted with the wedding, but I have to say he was awesome about calling the TA and telling her what was going on, etc. Definitely had one of those "this is why I love him" moments!

She's gotten the price within $20 of the other TA - I'm waiting for her to send it in writing, and it also cuts a lot of $$$ off of our 10 day trip.

But she did accuse the other TA of lying....what a cut-throat business this is....

SIGH.....

Thank you everyone for your support.

Ok, so Monday afternoon she told FI she'd get us this information. I emailed her this morning and he called her this afternoon and we haven't heard anything. I don't know if I'm being inordinately impatient, but I feel like even a quick email back (I know she has a blackberry) would be in order, especially when she knows that we're unhappy. On the website they have an email address and phone # for a manager - I think I'll be contacting her tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseykitten View Post
She did tell me that the price was locked as that it wouldn't go higher but if it went down she could get the lower rate. But now that I'm reading the contract over, that is not stipulated in there. I'm going to lose money if everyone books through the other TA, but I can't stop them if it saves them money...and now FI is involved which I was trying not to have happen. this is awful.
have her try to negotiate the rooms currently booked at the lower sale rate. i am usually able to do this without a problem as well as book new reservations at the sale rate as long as the promotion is running, then after sale ends go back to the contracted group rate.

I haven't had an issue yet with the resort not crediting that reservations booked at the sale rate as part of the group.