If you know Photoshop and Photo Post Production Techniques I have a Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitri_Markine View Post
This is the first time I hear about using IR converted camera for weddings! It's mostly used for landscapes. I doubt he really did this as that would be a bit insane. He probably just used photoshop to do it. A few Photoshop plug-ins can achieve similar effect.
On the other hand, you should have looked at his portfolio if he has similar images in there, then that's his style and he was under impression this is what you hired him for. All of us have different styles and are known for it.
If he doesn't anything similar on his website, you can approach him and tell them that what he gave you is different from the examples on his website. The more experience the photographer, the more consistent are the images. When photographers first start out, they tend to try many things to see what works for them. Sometimes this can be dangerous because weddings are not the best time to try new things.

Good luck!

a few posts above she posted his reply that he did use an IR converted camera.

I think using them in weddings is a recent trend. He does have some other IR on his wesite.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
a few posts above she posted his reply that he did use an IR converted camera.

I think using them in weddings is a recent trend. He does have some other IR on his wesite.
It's not a trend I was aware of. I certainly don't know anyone who ever used it for weddings. It's quite easy to replicate it in photoshop too(well at least for me)

However, I did just visited his website to see the big photos and I think he does indeed uses an IR camera. A lot of pictures there seems to be done that way. It is his style and there's nothing wrong about it as he's clearly showing it to his clients.
So in this case, I think he just did what he always does and it's too bad Kits55 hired him before looking at his work.

Quote:
It's not a trend I was aware of. I certainly don't know anyone who ever used it for weddings. It's quite easy to replicate it in photoshop too(well at least for me)

However, I did just visited his website to see the big photos and I think he does indeed uses an IR camera. A lot of pictures there seems to be done that way. It is his style and there's nothing wrong about it as he's clearly showing it to his clients.
So in this case, I think he just did what he always does and it's too bad Kits55 hired him before looking at his work.
If you read the entire thread you would have seen that I don't mind the B&W IR but rather it's the color IR I hate. You will also see examples of the color IR. I spent months and months looking for a photographer and am insulted and offended that you would insinuate I would randomly pick a photographer. If you read the rest of the thread you would also see that I went to his studio to look at the thousands of pictures he has that are not on his website. On his website there are only 2 IR photos out of 6 pages. That to me is not representative of his work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
I think the B&W infrared images he tooked look cool. Do you not like those? I haven't seen them large to really judge, but the little versions look nice.
The B&W IR are fine. The underlying issue is now there are a limited number of choices to modify these in PS. I wanted images that I could play with. I wanted images all in full color so they could be modified numerous ways. I prefer having choices and the ability to switch from B&W to full color I think is invaluable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kits55 View Post
If you read the entire thread you would have seen that I don't mind the B&W IR but rather it's the color IR I hate. You will also see examples of the color IR. I spent months and months looking for a photographer and am insulted and offended that you would insinuate I would randomly pick a photographer. If you read the rest of the thread you would also see that I went to his studio to look at the thousands of pictures he has that are not on his website. On his website there are only 2 IR photos out of 6 pages. That to me is not representative of his work.
It was not my intention to offend you and I apologize if something I said here sounded bad.
You've posted a few times on this board about your problems with this particular free photographer and even PM'ed me for an advice. I made my comments only based on that.

Quote:
It was not my intention to offend you and I apologize if something I said here sounded bad.
You've posted a few times on this board about your problems with this particular free photographer and even PM'ed me for an advice. I made my comments only based on that.
I appreciate your previous help regarding what I thought of as a lack of photos and wondering why I had not received more from him. According to the previous emails between myself and him he had mentioned that if he took as many pictures as he thought they would I would receive multiple CDs and in reality ended up with only one. Unless he advertised that I'm not sure how I was supposed to have known that from his website.

I have complained about the lack of photographs received, receiving a CD with low res files (he told me I can print 8 x 10s so that issue is cleared up because we'll go back to him for anything larger than an 8 x10), and the feeling that he shot more for his artistic purposes than for our wedding. This is something that cannot be demonstrated by his website or by the pictures we saw of his.

He wasn't "free" given that we paid thousands of dollars for his service and his assistant but no money exchanged hands if that is what you mean. I didn't know to ask of him if I would receive unedited photos and how many I would end up with. That is my fault but how do I know what I don't know?

The trade was looked upon as a win-win situation and I still see it that way. There are many things that brides unknowingly overlook when booking photographers. I did not know exactly which shots would be the most important to me. I did not believe that a few thousand pictures into his consultation would produce so many IR photos. He only has two color IR photos on his website out of 85 photos total. That's only about 2.3% which to me is not indicative of someone's overall work. That would not cause me to believe he would bring an entire IR camera to shoot wedding and resort pictures. Had he told me ahead of time he was bringing an IR camera I would have investigated what that means and told him not to take any ceremony and group photos using IR. Had I known what they would end up looking like I would have told him just leave the camera at home unless you want personal pictures with it.

Of the pictures at his studio roughly 50% were B&W with the other 45% were color. The other 5% was washed out, muted colors like ones that are in our album. We have a fairly high percentage of the muted color pictures. The bottom line about having B&W or full color pictures (which we wanted) is they can be manipulated in Photoshop, IR cannot. Yes, I can turn IR color to IR B&W but I'll still never see what the pictures actually look like.

Sorry to hear the final outcome of this. Mostly, we all think that it seems a bit foolish to assume a bride would want a bunch of IR shots on her wedding day, and like others pointed out, odd that his assistant wouldn't have been right there with him shooting some "regular" photos but I digress. =( I think the majority of us agree that it is truly lamentable. So if you can't get color photos, i guess the next best thing would be to see if he can adjust the coloration to something you like more. Unfortunately because what is done can't be undone, you will have to settle on something that was different than you truly wanted-- but that doesn't necessarily have to be all negative! Maybe there's a way for him to tweak the really good shots that were in IR and who knows, you could be showcased as the trend-setting bride with pictures that are different from the standard! Trends do get set in the strangest ways smile03.gif You just got married to the man of your dreams and despite the photo coloration you were still beautiful lol.. some of us don't have it that lucky wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheeoni View Post
Sorry to hear the final outcome of this. Mostly, we all think that it seems a bit foolish to assume a bride would want a bunch of IR shots on her wedding day, and like others pointed out, odd that his assistant wouldn't have been right there with him shooting some "regular" photos but I digress. =( I think the majority of us agree that it is truly lamentable. So if you can't get color photos, i guess the next best thing would be to see if he can adjust the coloration to something you like more. Unfortunately because what is done can't be undone, you will have to settle on something that was different than you truly wanted-- but that doesn't necessarily have to be all negative! Maybe there's a way for him to tweak the really good shots that were in IR and who knows, you could be showcased as the trend-setting bride with pictures that are different from the standard! Trends do get set in the strangest ways smile03.gif You just got married to the man of your dreams and despite the photo coloration you were still beautiful lol.. some of us don't have it that lucky wink.gif
Awww, Sheeoni, thank you so much for the sweet post! If the trend started forming of IR photos I'd hate to see it go that way! :) lol

You do a great job at cheering people up; I am feeling better about it already! :) Thank you!smile03.gif