If you know Photoshop and Photo Post Production Techniques I have a Question

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VIP Member

Hmmm... I don't think I've ever seen a filter for a camera that could do that kind of work... because each image is a little differently done. It looks to me like post processing. I can actually almost name you some Photoshop Actions which would do the exact effects. So, hopefully he does have plain edits. If so, and he gives them to you and they are lack luster, feel free to send me a few of them and I can do some color pops to them. Then you could end up with some beautiful color photography like you wanted.

I would be very surprised if the filters were on the lens. Nobody uses lens filters anymore because this stuff is so easy to do in Photoshop. The only filters used are UV and polarizing filters for bright sun. Filters that produce these special effects either don't exist or are obsolete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kits55 View Post
I actually wanted Elizabeth Medina but FI didn't like her images and she didn't email me back after 1-2 emails so I just kept looking. Now I am kicking myself so much! I also have a list of things that I wish I had done while looking for a photog and in guiding a him more clearly. I was really excited because even with paying everything for the two of them we still came out spending less money than if we had paid for a local photog. I never really looked at RM photogs besides Elizabeth Medina. I sure wish we had!
really, he didnt like EM's pics? weird

I've heard of many people having an old camera turned into an infrared camera. That could be what he did & in that case you won't be able to do a lot with the images. I think they will look much nicer in B&W at least though & get rid of that brown/ mint green.

You know, I think it would be really nasty of him to not re-process those pictures. Best case scenario, he gives you a disc with all your photos in raw format so you can have the originals AND copies of these photos re-touched. I am with pretty much all of these ladies that this is work that he's created in photoshop. My cousin's mother does a lot of bridal portraits and engagement shots, and I know 100% for sure that she changes photos to black and white AFTER, she never usually does any oddly colored pics though.

If I were in your shoes, I would just say that you would prefer to have those pictures in their original color format.

Worst case scenario, the pictures didn't have great colors which is why he tried to get creative with them. If you had the originals, however, a lot can be done to try and fix that.

Bad internet =.=;;; sorry for dbl post

While I am re-reading, I noticed you said he shot them in "infrared" which seems like baloney. If that is ACTUALLY the case, and it does that weird color-sucking-out thing, then the next best thing would be to have these changed into black and white or sepia tones.. if you have any pics of your sister's dress or the correct colors of some things, the only salvation those pictures may have if NONE of them have original color counterparts is that someone very good with photoshop does some color correction/substitution for you.. but that would take skills.

Why would someone intentionally experiment like that, especially when you had a clear idea from the example on his site, what you would have wanted? I think that's a selfish thing to do, considering all of those photos could have been taken normally and with a bit of time in post processing, he could have done similar (if not identical) things. I would love to say he's bluffing about the photos being taken in infrared, but based on some of the things you've said, now I'm not so sure. At any rate, I'm sorry you're disappointed. I'm not an expert but I like to play with photoshop, and if you'd like, I can try to help the way Tlseege has offered and do the color pops as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlseege View Post
Hmmm... I don't think I've ever seen a filter for a camera that could do that kind of work... because each image is a little differently done. It looks to me like post processing. I can actually almost name you some Photoshop Actions which would do the exact effects. So, hopefully he does have plain edits. If so, and he gives them to you and they are lack luster, feel free to send me a few of them and I can do some color pops to them. Then you could end up with some beautiful color photography like you wanted.
Thank you so much! That is incredibly kind of you! :) I am getting excited thinking about trying to figure out if these edits are from the lens or done in PS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy Host View Post
really, he didnt like EM's pics? weird
I know! It was the shock of the year. I was so ready for him to love them too because I had been raving about them for a while before we got a chance to sit down and look at them. sad.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
I've heard of many people having an old camera turned into an infrared camera. That could be what he did & in that case you won't be able to do a lot with the images. I think they will look much nicer in B&W at least though & get rid of that brown/ mint green.
If these are irreparably "damaged" shall I say; I am taking your advice and changing them into black and white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheeoni View Post
Bad internet =.=;;; sorry for dbl post

While I am re-reading, I noticed you said he shot them in "infrared" which seems like baloney. If that is ACTUALLY the case, and it does that weird color-sucking-out thing, then the next best thing would be to have these changed into black and white or sepia tones.. if you have any pics of your sister's dress or the correct colors of some things, the only salvation those pictures may have if NONE of them have original color counterparts is that someone very good with photoshop does some color correction/substitution for you.. but that would take skills.

Why would someone intentionally experiment like that, especially when you had a clear idea from the example on his site, what you would have wanted? I think that's a selfish thing to do, considering all of those photos could have been taken normally and with a bit of time in post processing, he could have done similar (if not identical) things. I would love to say he's bluffing about the photos being taken in infrared, but based on some of the things you've said, now I'm not so sure. At any rate, I'm sorry you're disappointed. I'm not an expert but I like to play with photoshop, and if you'd like, I can try to help the way Tlseege has offered and do the color pops as well.
The thing about seeing his pictures before we booked him...we actually went to his apartment because it's also his "studio" and saw hundreds of his photos and clearly remember liking every image he showed us.

Thanks everyone for the offers and information! Now I feel better armed to deal with this. Down below is actually part of the last email he sent me and shows the frequency with which he uses the "it's a stronger image" card. Also, I may have mis-interpreted the email regarding the infrared so please let me know if I did fail to understand it!

On page 211, image 569 isn't going to fit the space the current ceremony photo takes up, as it's a vertical. You and Chris also look happy in the current photo. I think it's a stronger image.
Click the image to open in full size.
There are more images that are horizontal orientation than this one...plus I don't think it's very flattering of the judge, or us!

The bottom left swap in the TTD spread is really quite a change. I think I understand why you want to, but the photo that's currently there is a lot stronger.
What I want instead of the lower left hand picture of us kissing against the tree with DH without his shirt on is one of us kissing, cropped in closer, WITH DH's shirt on and standing apart from the tree which I think is "stronger" (and more suitable to show my grandpa and small children

On page 214, again, I'm not sure what you're asking for. Perhaps it's because all of the photos are in infrared. The choices are either black & white or false color, like in the main image. I can't turn that into a normal color photograph. I like the contrast of the main photo to the others, being a mix of false color and black & white IR.

6516 is IR. That is a full color image.

From what he is saying, I think he had a camera converted to IR. It has been a pretty common thing to do lately. I'll find out if there is a way to check him Exif data to see if that is the case or if he is just saying that.

I think the B&W infrared looks fine. Are you OK with those? I hate the false color IR he has done.

I'd tell him to make all the false colors B&W.

Also, it shouldn't matter which image is stonger. You should have the pictures in your book you are comfortable with. I also didn't want the sexy images in my album. It's the book I'm sharing with my grandparents & future kids. I'm sure if my photographer made the album I would have had to fight her on putting the sexy images in my book. She sounded pissed that I didn't put them in the albums I made originally (which we intended for our parents.)