DW Activities for guests

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Brenners

• 807 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:53 PM

Since guests will be traveling long distances and paying for their stay, has anyone considered or done research on activities (outside of the wedding day) for the guests? This would include what kinds of activities, cost and who pays? I am worried not to have enough for guests to do but at the same time, planning activities and asking them to pay seems rude, however, wanting to keep costs down and within our budget makes it difficult to find the money to do this. Any thoughts or ideas or experiences?

#2 Destination Scout

Destination Scout
    • 600 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:58 PM

We had guests in town for about a week before the wedding. We scheduled an event every other day. Only one was expensive (Hidden Worlds @ $70/person). The rest were things like visit the Tulum ruins ($7/person) or go to the Carnival parade ($10/person for the ferry to Cozumel). People could come if they wished, but we understood if they just wanted to hang out on the beach.

#3 azulskies

• 1,131 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:00 PM

I asked something like this recently. What I've basically found is to let your guests know what type of activities you have planned and what the cost is so that they can decide whether or not to participate. The rehearsal dinner, ceremony and reception is the only thing you are supposed to be financially responsible for. Many people are probably using this as a vacation for themselves so I think they'll like the option of doing what they want or joining you guys on an excursion. Good luck!

#4 KLaBate54

• 438 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:01 PM

I actually did think about this too! While we can't afford to actually pay for our guests (we have quite a few) to do an excursion, we did put a list of some on our website. This way they will at least have an idea of what things there are to do and can obviously plan something if they want to. Of course we would love to be able to plan and pay for one, but it's definitely not in our budget. I wouldn't worry about people not having enough to do though...they're on vacation, which means they'll probably be happy just relaxing with everyone too! :)

#5 Sheree10

• 1,026 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 11:57 PM

Depending on the number of guests I wanted to do a welcome reception and possibly a farewell breakfast. Then I'll provide a list of excursions for the guests to do on their own.

I agree on not planning too much... you want your guests to be able to do what they want to do.

BRIDE + GROOM + 60 GUESTS!!

#6 Ginalyn

• 2,754 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:18 PM

Do you have a wedding website? If so, you can have a page of "Things to do in _________". That way guests can see what types of activities are out there. You could also post prices or links to other websites.

#7 cruisebride0410

• 178 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:06 PM

I like the idea of a welcome activity - we are doing a cocktail reception as a meet and greet. Aside from that and the rehearsal dinner, wedding, you could definitely give people the option of doing other activities, but you should not feel obligated to pay. (I like the idea of posting the info on your Web site or sending it with your invites) People will probably want time to hang out on their own too and relax!

#8 Brenners

• 807 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 09:55 PM

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the feedback. We don't have a wedding website yet but I do think it would be very useful for our guests to be able to have lists of and links to various activities. I like the idea of a meet and greet brunch or something similar. Great ideas and much appreciated!

#9 shoyum

• 159 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 05:18 PM

I also posted a things to do on our website. Although the activity on our website has been very poor. What are you all doing to get people to go on it. I have it posted on facebook, and everytime i do a mailer to the guests i always include it. Is anyone else having this issue?

#10 Tonir

• 283 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 09:03 AM

We are doing a welcome dinner on the second night (night before the wedding) instead of a "rehearsal dinner." We also plan on doing a few excursion type activities, like a sail or scuba diving, during the week. I'm going to research them and set a time/date and then whoever wants to come can come!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users