Photo

AHR Location?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Brenners

Brenners
  • 807 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 06:20 PM

FI was asking me my opinion about an AHR - we both want one but I would really like to keep it simple. We are getting married in February so I think waiting until June when the weather is nicer and more people could attend would work best. I was thinking about renting a covered picnic area at a local lake would work best. We can grill, ask our families to help as much as possible with preparing food, buy the drinks and people can hang out, swim, playground for kids, etc...Our home is way to small for anymore than 20 people and I don't want a formal reception at a hotel. Any other suggestions?

#2 GracieBebe

GracieBebe
    • 354 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 03:23 PM

That is totally doable. We just had our AHR this past weekend and we prepped and cooked all of our own food and provided all of the drinks for approx. 100 people and with the park rental, decorations, supplies and food and drinks, it cost about $1500-1600. If you put the hot food out on chafing trays, you can cook it all up at once and then they will stay hot in them. Put all the salads and cold dishes in trays and then stick them in another tray that already has some ice in it and that will keep those foods cold. We put all the food out buffet style and hired one of our friends who used to be a bartender to bartend the party. Hope that helps. :-)
      - Grace
      Location - Chateau de Challain, Challain la Potherie, France
      Engagement Date - Sept. 6, 2008
      Wedding Date - Sept. 9, 2009
      Our Pro wedding photo website:http://fanelliweddin....l&startIndex=0Our wedding planning website:http://www.mywedding...graceandmichael

#3 kellynadam2010

kellynadam2010
      • 187 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 06:58 PM

We are doing something very similar - we're having a BBQ at my parents house (they have a big yard). We didn't want anything too costly or over the top - a simple, fun get together. I have no desire to do the grilling, so we're having a company come - they bring their own grills, set it all up and do the grilling. We might get a bounce house (or whatever those are called) to entertain kids.
        I think your idea sounds great

#4 cruisebride0410

cruisebride0410
        • 178 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:15 PM

I think your location sounds great for an AHR - a casual atmosphere is a great way to celebrate and everyone feels comfortable!

#5 Jo 2010

Jo 2010
          • 291 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:49 PM

Thats sounds great for an AHR

We were thinking or renting a room at our local club and just doing finger food and drinks about a month after the wedding... But I think I like your idea much better! A BBQ is a great idea, and a great atmosphere...

#6 GracieBebe

GracieBebe
            • 354 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 11:04 AM

It is an awesome time and everyone has fun. The only thing you really have to be concerned about is weather, especially if the area you rent or have does not have a covered section for your guests. Luckily, we had great weather! If it had rained, we still planned to use the picnic area, but b/c it had a large covered pavilion, we were going to do a huge poker tournament with the winner getting a 50/50 jackpot.
              - Grace
              Location - Chateau de Challain, Challain la Potherie, France
              Engagement Date - Sept. 6, 2008
              Wedding Date - Sept. 9, 2009
              Our Pro wedding photo website:http://fanelliweddin....l&startIndex=0Our wedding planning website:http://www.mywedding...graceandmichael

#7 Kristy!

Kristy!

VIP Member

• VIP Member
              • 6,368 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 11:20 AM

We rented a covered pavillion at a park for our AHR and it worked out great. We decided to have a pig roast, so we hired a local deli to cater the event. It was perfect. So glad we didn't soak a lot of money into a fancy reception.

#8 Brenners

Brenners
                • 807 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 09:50 PM

The park we are considering has a large covered pavilion with picnic tables that would easily hold around 150 guests - although I doubt that we would have that many people. You all have great suggestions for ways and things to serve. Thanks for the great feedback!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users