Need advice if your a teacher, or know any

karenk77

Ok so last week we finally booked the date..and I was looking for dates that schools were in session so that it will be cheapest for my guests. Now im in a predicament because I am going to apply for teaching positions and how am i going to ask for a week off as a new hire. So then i was thinking about changing the date, which everyone is telling me is a bad idea, but I am not sure how principals would react to this info and its stressing me out. I dont want to jeopardize a potential job, but I also want to be able to enjoy this once in a lifetime thing..sooooo confused. What would u do?

Hey! In my school district you earn your personal leave days and sick leave. So If you work without taking any days off until your wedding Im sure you will have enough days. If you don't have enough days you can still take off you just don"t get paid. Also, in my school district if its the day before or after a Holiday you can't take it off unless you get permission. Just make sure you put your leave slips in early! I hope this helped!

What is your date?

I am a teacher in Ontario, Canada and in my board we finish at the end of June. In June 2010 it will be I believe the last day in June because of our late start date in Sept.

For us, it really depends on your principal. They can allow you the time or not. We only get 1 personal day that you can use for whatever you want. We also get 20 paid sick days but ...if they found out you were in Mexico or something, I'd pretty sure it would not be good!

Good luck!

Oh man im soooo confuseed as to what to do..I mean I dont have a job yet I am only first interviewing, (changed careers), but I am scared that if I mention it I wont get the job because of it. Then others are telling me that its a wedding,a nd if i let it be known at the interview that this has been long planned it should be ok..but i dont know how true that is. and im scared sad.gif

Hey,

My FI and I both are educators and the timing played a big part in our planning. I've been in the system for several years so I have days in reserve but we didn't want to take time off from work. We thought about having the wedding during a school vacation but decided to do it in the summer. This will give us time to relax after the weddingmoon.

As a new teacher you may not want to take all of those days off... be careful.

As a new hire, I wouldn't jeopardize it. There are so many people out there waiting to get a job anywhere- so don't take your chances. Plus, as a new teacher you need to see just how many sick/personal days you get. My first year, I got ONE personal day and TWO sick days; just check and see what your district's policy is. Just keep in mind your salary is obviously going to help and go towards your wedding, so don't disrupt your funding!!!

If your wedding date is close to your spring break, why dont you see if you can do your wedding/honeymoon then- that way you can still do both back to back? Just a suggestion. Either way, just remember that it is YOUR day and you deserve and should get your day to be everything you imagine, even if it means a conflict with your job! Best of luck!

I dont know I mean were gonna have a beach bbq on fri, a brunch on sun..so there are alot of things we are going to do..plus I want to have time to be able to feel like this is something enjoyable and not like im committing some crime lol. I guess maybe like 4 days? or is that straight obnoxious?

Yea i'm looking in NY..well Bklyn first then whatever else may come about..beggars cant be choosers lol. You know they had the freeze which was just lifted for Spec Ed so I am hoping with that I can find something.