Jump to content

Notice: The site will be offline this Saturday evening (4/21/18) for a major software update. Thank you in advance for your patience while upgrade to a new-improved version of BDW.

Bring your own photographer? Turks & Caicos

  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mburke529

  • Newbie
  • 2 posts

    Posted 13 August 2009 - 05:49 PM

    I would like to bring my own photographer, but I've read you need a temporary work permit for them. I'm having a private wedding at a residence... do you think it is necessary? Thank you!

    #2 Tropical Imaging

    Tropical Imaging
    • Vendor
    • 336 posts

      Posted 14 August 2009 - 11:25 AM

      As someone who has lived on island for more than 12 years, it is necessary to obtain a temporary permit as it is illegal to work on island (paid or unpaid) without one. It is up to you if you wish to do so without. You can try to sneak them in, but Immigration has been much more vigilant in the past 18 months (with the economy) and we have heard of photographers being denied entry and deported. If it is at a private residence, you don't have as much possibility of immigration seeing you on site, so it is really up to you to take that risk.

      Just as my husband (who is a british citizen) cannot work in the US legally without a lot of paperwork and a huge amount of money, the same goes for ALL foreign countries not just the T&C. Is is possible to get away with it? Yes. But it is up to you. I know of one case where a photographer was denied entry and we were called at the last minute to fill in but were booked. It's not something we personally pay attention to because it is done and we're quite busy so I don't know how many "fly under the radar" so to speak. I know my hubby has turned down a lot of requests to come shoot in the states because he doesn't want to take the small risk he would get caught and it's too expensive to do it legally.

      Just trying to be honest as there are a number of photographers on the island and for the cost of flying and hotel, you may find someone who works here legally to do the work for you. Personally our company pays over $20,000 a year for permits for our employees to work here legally (and that doesn't include our taxes and business costs). The government is trying to protect those who work here as yours does in the US.

      A temporary is $500 the last I heard. I don't have any other info as I know it is the wedding planners on island that go through the work to get those for clients.

      As for any other info on the T&C please don't hesitate to ask, we've been around for a long time and are happy to help with info whether someone uses us or not. It's a great place to visit and to live and we like telling about our favorite spots! Feel free to use our blog for info and ideas as well in planning. Photos I think always help!


      0 user(s) are reading this topic

      0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users