Jump to content

Photo

Dreams Riviera Cancun - Brides post here (new thread)


  • Please log in to reply
12142 replies to this topic

#10841 Judany

Judany
  • Newbie
  • 51 posts

    Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:50 AM

    I think I saw somebody post this in the past but not sure which page.  I'm trying to find out what alcohol they have.  I want to see if we will have a signature drink but want to see what they have so they don't charge extra.  Does anyone who has been there know if they have Hypnotiq and Silver Patron?



    #10842 TIGERLILYODP

    TIGERLILYODP
    • Newbie
    • 122 posts

      Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:58 AM

      Hi, This thread has been amazing and helped me and the other half decide that we without a doubt want to get married at Dreams! We haven’t booked anything yet but are looking to get married in October 2014 and will be booking this in May 2013 once the flight plans are confirmed. There will be around 25 guests and we will be going for the Ultimate Wedding Package. There are so many questions I have before booking tho so I'm hoping some of you will be able to help me please... Thomas Cook So we are from England and will be booking our holiday/wedding all together with Thomas Cook, has anybody else done this? I've not heard any horror stories about weddings booked with Thomas Cook and we have used them in the past for holidays to Mexico and Cuba and were impressed , so I am confident that things will be okay but you never know.  We are hoping to get a group discount as there will be at least 15 of us staying at the hotel for the full 2 weeks. And also a ‘Welcome Pack’ is also mentioned but I don’t really know what this is? Legal Stuff I'm a little confused about all the legal stuff... In the Thomas Cook brochure it advises to get all our documents translated in England then send them to Thomas Cook who will then sort everything out but on the Dreams website it says that the documents need to be translated in Mexico for them to be valid? This is the only thing that I'm really concerned about as I don’t want anything legally to go wrong or not be done before we fly. If anybody who has booked with Thomas Cook could let me know what the correct procedure is that would be great! Ceremony We were thinking of getting married on th e beach, are there different parts of the beach you can get married on? And can we decide on the time the ceremony will be at or is that something the planner works out? I would love a violinist for the ceremony and don't mind the cost as it’s something I have dreamt of! Has anybody else opted for this? And as we are having the violinist, we wouldn't need the sound system but would like a microphone so people can hear us saying our vows, do they charge for the use of the microphone? Also it mentions in the Thomas Cook brochure that the person conducting the ceremony won’t speak any English and suggests paying for an interpreter, is this true? And I’d like to meet with them before hand to discuss the order of the ceremony and what will be said. For the decorations I want white drapes with flowers here and there, really simple and not too OTT so I’m hoping the hotel can supply with me the drapes and flowers? In regards to a rehearsal, can this be done the day before the wedding? As I have bridesmaids and a flower girl I really want a rehearsal so that everybody knows what they are doing on the actual day. Cocktail Hour We are thinking of having the Mexican Trio included in the package at the cocktail hour so our guests can have a boogie and take photos with them whilst we are off with the photographer. Can anybody suggest a place for the cocktail hour? As I would like this to be away from the beach for this part of the day. And what exactly happens at the cocktail hour, is it literally just drinks and the entertainment you choose? (Sorry if I sound clueless). Reception  I would love the reception to be on the beach but have read posts about it being really windy at night time? Any other suggestions of where to have it would be great!. Even tho we are having a small wedding I would still like the DJ and light up dance floor because there a few party people in the group, what is the resident DJ like? And also would I be able to contact the DJ with a list of songs we would want playing at the reception? I don't mind splashing out a bit as everything would still work out cheaper rather than having a big English wedding like we were originally planning. For the reception decorations I would bring my own place cards, favours, table decorations and cake topper but was wondering what the tables and chairs at the reception are like? I would like one big table with all of us on but I’m not sure if they’ll be able to provide a table that big? And the flags and the lights that they offer, what are they like and are they worth the price because I really like the idea of them and it would save me bringing my own decorations over from England and with everything else I’m sure I’ll have minimum room in my suitcase! Also what is the latest you can have the reception until? There will be children at the wedding so don’t want it to be too late but would still like the day to last J Hair & Make up As the hair & make up is included in the package I defo want to take advantage of this, I have an idea of what I want my hair & make up to look like so will bring pictures of these along. I was wondering whether I should book a trial before hand? or just trust the people in the salon on the day? I would also like my bridesmaids to get their hair done at the salon so they feel special too; does anybody know how much this would be? Wedding Planner I’ve read some posts about people not actually making any decisions regarding decorations etc until they arrive at the hotel and also that the wedding planners aren’t that quick at replying to emails (which is understandable judging by how many weddings they do) so I was wondering whether it is worth emailing them asking for all the different options and deciding beforehand or just write down what we want and decide everything when we meet them at the resort? I know I have asked so many questions and probably not all of them can be answered but any answers/suggestions/tips would be greatly appreciated! I’m so excited for my wedding and just want everything to be planned down to the last detail. Thank you so much in advance! J

      hi im from Nottingham in the uk and I too have booked through Thomas Cook. iv been told lots of things about when and what to translate. But im sure that because webare getting married at dreams they do everything for you.there are extra charges.if you give me your email I can send you this info plus lots more.also you have to have blood tests before they can wed you.this is done in resort too.There is the north beach and south.smaller wedding parties get married at the north beach.thats where I get married as we have 22 people going.you can have your cocktail hour at the bech or by the jacuzzi or at desires terrace. im having mine on the beach so we can enjoy the band and everyone can get involved with the photos.im having a trial with my hair in England so I sort of know what I want .but from what iv heard and seen the hotel does a fab job.im deciding before I go what decorations we want.iv got alot already that iv bought and ill be taking with me .the dj is a min of 2 hrs and costs around £180 per hour plus tax the reception lasts 3 hrs.ours finishes at about 10pm then we are going to desires club on site for drinks.the reception cant go on past 11 which is a downer.the cocktail hour is drinks music and canap©s. ooo I forgot you can hire a dance floor and lighting for your reception too.we are having ours on the pool terrace watching the sun set .sorry if I haven't answered everything. but iv got all the info and prices plus pics so if u want it just email me at karaodp@gmail.com and ill be happy to help a fellow dreams bride :)

      #10843 Savs1027

      Savs1027
      • Site Supporter
      • 458 posts

        Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:34 AM

        Originally Posted by EmilyT 

        Girls... I booked the honey moon suit and i really want to stay in the presidential.... how good do u think these chances are ? lol

        You will probably get upgraded to the master suite since that's the next level up unless there are a bunch of other weddings that day! If you want the presidential, I would book the master suite instead.



        #10844 Savs1027

        Savs1027
        • Site Supporter
        • 458 posts

          Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:49 AM

          Originally Posted by mrscowbag79 

          Hi,

           

          This thread has been amazing and helped me and the other half decide that we without a doubt want to get married at Dreams! We haven’t booked anything yet but are looking to get married in October 2014 and will be booking this in May 2013 once the flight plans are confirmed. There will be around 25 guests and we will be going for the Ultimate Wedding Package. There are so many questions I have before booking tho so I'm hoping some of you will be able to help me please...

           

          Thomas Cook

          So we are from England and will be booking our holiday/wedding all together with Thomas Cook, has anybody else done this? I've not heard any horror stories about weddings booked with Thomas Cook and we have used them in the past for holidays to Mexico and Cuba and were impressed , so I am confident that things will be okay but you never know.  We are hoping to get a group discount as there will be at least 15 of us staying at the hotel for the full 2 weeks. And also a ‘Welcome Pack’ is also mentioned but I don’t really know what this is?

           

          Legal Stuff

          I'm a little confused about all the legal stuff... In the Thomas Cook brochure it advises to get all our documents translated in England then send them to Thomas Cook who will then sort everything out but on the Dreams website it says that the documents need to be translated in Mexico for them to be valid? This is the only thing that I'm really concerned about as I don’t want anything legally to go wrong or not be done before we fly. If anybody who has booked with Thomas Cook could let me know what the correct procedure is that would be great!

           

          Ceremony

          We were thinking of getting married on the beach, are there different parts of the beach you can get married on? And can we decide on the time the ceremony will be at or is that something the planner works out? I would love a violinist for the ceremony and don't mind the cost as it’s something I have dreamt of! Has anybody else opted for this? And as we are having the violinist, we wouldn't need the sound system but would like a microphone so people can hear us saying our vows, do they charge for the use of the microphone? Also it mentions in the Thomas Cook brochure that the person conducting the ceremony won’t speak any English and suggests paying for an interpreter, is this true? And I’d like to meet with them before hand to discuss the order of the ceremony and what will be said. For the decorations I want white drapes with flowers here and there, really simple and not too OTT so I’m hoping the hotel can supply with me the drapes and flowers? In regards to a rehearsal, can this be done the day before the wedding? As I have bridesmaids and a flower girl I really want a rehearsal so that everybody knows what they are doing on the actual day.

           

          Cocktail Hour

          We are thinking of having the Mexican Trio included in the package at the cocktail hour so our guests can have a boogie and take photos with them whilst we are off with the photographer. Can anybody suggest a place for the cocktail hour? As I would like this to be away from the beach for this part of the day. And what exactly happens at the cocktail hour, is it literally just drinks and the entertainment you choose? (Sorry if I sound clueless).

           

          Reception

           I would love the reception to be on the beach but have read posts about it being really windy at night time? Any other suggestions of where to have it would be great!. Even tho we are having a small wedding I would still like the DJ and light up dance floor because there a few party people in the group, what is the resident DJ like? And also would I be able to contact the DJ with a list of songs we would want playing at the reception? I don't mind splashing out a bit as everything would still work out cheaper rather than having a big English wedding like we were originally planning. For the reception decorations I would bring my own place cards, favours, table decorations and cake topper but was wondering what the tables and chairs at the reception are like? I would like one big table with all of us on but I’m not sure if they’ll be able to provide a table that big? And the flags and the lights that they offer, what are they like and are they worth the price because I really like the idea of them and it would save me bringing my own decorations over from England and with everything else I’m sure I’ll have minimum room in my suitcase! Also what is the latest you can have the reception until? There will be children at the wedding so don’t want it to be too late but would still like the day to last J

           

          Hair & Make up

          As the hair & make up is included in the package I defo want to take advantage of this, I have an idea of what I want my hair & make up to look like so will bring pictures of these along. I was wondering whether I should book a trial before hand? or just trust the people in the salon on the day? I would also like my bridesmaids to get their hair done at the salon so they feel special too; does anybody know how much this would be?

           

          Wedding Planner

          I’ve read some posts about people not actually making any decisions regarding decorations etc until they arrive at the hotel and also that the wedding planners aren’t that quick at replying to emails (which is understandable judging by how many weddings they do) so I was wondering whether it is worth emailing them asking for all the different options and deciding beforehand or just write down what we want and decide everything when we meet them at the resort?

           

          I know I have asked so many questions and probably not all of them can be answered but any answers/suggestions/tips would be greatly appreciated! I’m so excited for my wedding and just want everything to be planned down to the last detail. Thank you so much in advance! J

          Ceremony - There are 2 different beach locations... North and South Beach. I think the North beach is a little bit less busy but it's still right in front of the hotel. You can decide on the time of the ceremony as long as there is no one else booked for that time. Time and location are the 2 first things I would book and finalize with the wedding coordinator. If you get married on the beach I believe that white drapes are included. They can do flowers too but you'll have to pay extra. We did a rehearsal 2 days before the wedding with the wedding coordinator. You'll have to schedule it with her. The minister we used spoke perfect English, but I'm not sure if it's someone else that they use if it's a legal ceremony. Ours was just symbolic. We met with the minister the day after we arrived and picked out our entire ceremony. 

           

          Cocktail Hour - Desires Terrace or one of the jacuzzis is a good place if you want to be away from the beach.

           

          Reception - I recommend the pool deck or Seaside Grill. The pool deck is by the beach and it wasn't too windy. It started getting windy for us because it ended up raining though. You can send the DJ a list of songs you want and you can also meet with him after you arrive to go over everything with him. Latest to have a reception is 11pm I believe. There is a dance club you all can go to afterwards if you want to keep partying. I've seen long tables in pictures, but I think most people use the round tables around the dance floor. I'm not sure how 1 long table would work out if you had the dance floor too (depending on where you are having the reception). Our hanging lights on the bamboo poles were completely worth it for the price. They lit up the entire area and we got a lot of compliments on them in the pictures. 

           

          Hair/Makeup - I didn't do a trial and I'm glad I didn't because I loved how they did both my hair and makeup. They did mine, my bridesmaids, and both of our mom's and everyone loved their hair and makeup. If you have room in your budget then you could do it but I don't think it's necesary. Make sure to make your appointments ahead of time though because if there are other weddings that day you might not get your first choice of time if you wait too long. 

           

          Wedding Coordinator - I think if you know what you want, go ahead and email them. THen you can always change anything once you get there. My wedding coordinator told me that some things that have to know in advance (i'm not sure what though). If they don't respond for awhile, just understand it's because your wedding is further away. Once it gets closer they will start responding more frequently. The  3 most important things to book right away are your date, times and locations of ceremony, cocktail hour and reception (and the rehearsal dinner/welcome dinner if you're doing that). Other than that, I think most things can wait until closer to the date. 

           

          Hope this helps. 

          Here's a link to our slideshow and wedding video if you haven't seen it already...

          http://171212ryan.dr....com.mx/#/ryan/



          #10845 MCree

          MCree
          • Jr. Member
          • 276 posts

            Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:52 AM

            Originally Posted by EmilyT 

            Girls... I booked the honey moon suit and i really want to stay in the presidential.... how good do u think these chances are ? lol

            Emily,

             

            We too booked a honeymoon suite in hopes of being upgraded! After reading about so many other brides who were upgraded to a master or presidential suite from their honeymoon suite, I realllly got my hopes up that we would too. Long story short, it didnt happen. :( Even though we were married on December 1st(technically low season). there were two other weddings on my wedding day, many the days before and after, and most upper suites were booked up.  I tried to politely ask the woman who checked us in at preferred club and even after that didnt work, I tipped our wedding coordinator $100 at our initial meeting, sweet talked her, then asked her as well! The woman at check in desk told me that they typically upgrade from lower levels rooms to the honeymoon suite, but not above. I was thinking yea right! She added that we could upgrade for $500.  I was like, "Uh, that's not he type of upgrade i was hoping for!" lol!  Hope you get an upgrade, but just giving a forewarning because this kinda started our trip sour because we wanted an upgrade so bad!



            #10846 EmilyT

            EmilyT
            • Jr. Member
            • 278 posts

              Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

              Originally Posted by MCree 

              Emily,

               

              We too booked a honeymoon suite in hopes of being upgraded! After reading about so many other brides who were upgraded to a master or presidential suite from their honeymoon suite, I realllly got my hopes up that we would too. Long story short, it didnt happen. :( Even though we were married on December 1st(technically low season). there were two other weddings on my wedding day, many the days before and after, and most upper suites were booked up.  I tried to politely ask the woman who checked us in at preferred club and even after that didnt work, I tipped our wedding coordinator $100 at our initial meeting, sweet talked her, then asked her as well! The woman at check in desk told me that they typically upgrade from lower levels rooms to the honeymoon suite, but not above. I was thinking yea right! She added that we could upgrade for $500.  I was like, "Uh, that's not he type of upgrade i was hoping for!" lol!  Hope you get an upgrade, but just giving a forewarning because this kinda started our trip sour because we wanted an upgrade so bad!

               

              Oh wow how dissapointing!! I booked 24 rooms for my wedding.... i deserve an upgrade LOL i guess we will see what happens. I am hoping to use the presidential suit on the day of the wedding to get ready however, i think thats typical but not guaranteed. i want to walk out from there, so if i don't get the room where would i walk from!?!?! ahhh and btw i love ur video u looked gorgeous and everything was soo nice.



              #10847 MCree

              MCree
              • Jr. Member
              • 276 posts

                Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

                Originally Posted by EmilyT 

                 

                Oh wow how dissapointing!! I booked 24 rooms for my wedding.... i deserve an upgrade LOL i guess we will see what happens. I am hoping to use the presidential suit on the day of the wedding to get ready however, i think thats typical but not guaranteed. i want to walk out from there, so if i don't get the room where would i walk from!?!?! ahhh and btw i love ur video u looked gorgeous and everything was soo nice.

                We only had 13 rooms booked, but that is exactly how I felt Emily. lol!  My wedding was on North Beach so after they told me we could not upgrade rooms for the week, my next plea was if we could just use it for wedding day.  I tried to be very sweet and convincing, but that didnt happen either tho! :(

                Overall, it wasnt that bad because atleast our honeymoon suite was on the North side so we could look down from balcony and watch the whole set up while geting ready(def request that your room be on this side if your wedding is on North Beach! we had to move from the south side and even that was tough task!) To get to the North ceremony site, you just have to go down the elevator or stairs in the building at walk past Seaside Grill. But im not going to lie, it would have been so nice to have used the room for pics and to walk straight to the site even if just for that day! From the research i did on this site in the past, it seemed as if about 60-70% of brides get upgraded, but I really just think its just luck of the draw!  Our wedding was absolutely wonderful overall, but not getting upgraded after spending so much money and bringing in 28 guests sucked! lol!



                #10848 MCree

                MCree
                • Jr. Member
                • 276 posts

                  Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

                  Originally Posted by MCree 

                  We only had 13 rooms booked, but that is exactly how I felt Emily. lol!  My wedding was on North Beach so after they told me we could not upgrade rooms for the week, my next plea was if we could just use it for wedding day.  I tried to be very sweet and convincing, but that didnt happen either tho! :(

                  Overall, it wasnt that bad because atleast our honeymoon suite was on the North side so we could look down from balcony and watch the whole set up while geting ready(def request that your room be on this side if your wedding is on North Beach! we had to move from the south side and even that was tough task!) To get to the North ceremony site, you just have to go down the elevator or stairs in the building at walk past Seaside Grill. But im not going to lie, it would have been so nice to have used the room for pics and to walk straight to the site even if just for that day! From the research i did on this site in the past, it seemed as if about 60-70% of brides get upgraded, but I really just think its just luck of the draw!  Our wedding was absolutely wonderful overall, but not getting upgraded after spending so much money and bringing in 28 guests sucked! lol!

                  And thank you so much! :)  Overall, Im so happy we did the video! Its a super sweet keepsake!



                  #10849 ashley822

                  ashley822
                  • Site Supporter
                  • 24 posts

                    Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

                    Originally Posted by EmilyT 

                    Girls... I booked the honey moon suit and i really want to stay in the presidential.... how good do u think these chances are ? lol

                    I think the chances are good if your ceremony location is the North Beach and there are not a lot of weddings on the same day (but I'm not sure how you would find that out). We were there in a peak season in January and ended up getting upgraded to the Presidental just for the day. We didn't even ask and we had actually booked a Preferred Club Oceanview. We were upgraded to a Honeymoon suite right when we checked in and then the day before our wedding Gina called our room and left a message that there was a room available for the night for the groom (which we didn't really care about) but she could not get the Presidental Suite like she had tried to. We didn't even know she was trying for us and we hadn't asked about it. We stopped by the wedding office the morning of our wedding after breakfast to tell her the room the groom was going to be getting ready in so she could tell the photographer and that's when she told us if we wanted to go get the key to the Presidental Suite from the front desk we could! We were super surprised and so excited! So it really seems like a last minute decision based on how full the hotel is, what they are using the room for, etc...(Gina later told us that that is the room they use to show the hotel for prospective guests, groups, etc...) so hopefully everything will work out and you will be able to have it! We didn't know til literally a few hours before our ceremony so don't lose hope! :)



                    #10850 LindseyM

                    LindseyM
                    • Jr. Member
                    • 380 posts

                      Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

                      Originally Posted by EmilyT 

                       

                      I spoke to Lorena about this and she confirmed that outside vendors are 150 per person BUT some there are no fee and this includes Mike Cantarell!! YaYyyYY i had already confirmed with him so now I will keep him. Seems like the prices are close anyway plus I will still get whatever is included in the video package from dreams since I did the ultimate package. I just emailed him to remind him since we confirmed so long ago.

                      That's great!!!  I didn't think we paid much if anything but I had to push for it.  He must have developed a relationship with them.  They wouldn't use the resort videographer during our ceremony because they said he'd get in Mike's way and vice versa so they videoed my rehearsal dinner and had guests leave messages to us, which is nice to have too!






                      0 user(s) are reading this topic

                      0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users