Jump to content
RCBlondie

Dreams Riviera Cancun - Brides post here (new thread)

Recommended Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosikj View Post
Help! My mother in law just went on a site visit to DRC this past week that she booked behind my back (another long story!). And she is claiming that it was "freezing" there and that it is far too cold that time of year to have an outdoor wedding. I am getting married January 15th, 2011, and she is telling my FI for us to change the wedding because our guests will be miserable. I have already sent out STD's and some of our guests have booked air. I have been to Mexico in February several times and never thought it was cold, but a little windy at night. I was planning on handing out Pashminias anyways.

Does anyone think that mid January it will be too cold to get married on the beach and have an evening reception on the pool deck? Did anyone have any complaints when they got married on the pool deck that it was too cold or too windy? Or has anyone gone to Riviera Maya in January?? I have been trying to google the temperatures and it is coming up 83 high, 63 low and that doesn't seem too cold. I need advice!
Goooooood luck with that mother in law! She sounds very controlling. Why the heck would she go to ur resort before u even got to? My theory is I rather tehe temp not be 90 degrees and humid. Who wants to be a sweaty bride,or be outside dancing in humid weather. Ur weather will be perfect in jan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel bad for asking ??s to Laura-- but if you dont mind :) haha SORRY :)

 

Or anyone for that matter who got a DJ... we are going to get the DJ- can I still put a playlist together for him to play? We do want to pick our own music.

 

Also- we are thinking of having the rehearsal dinner in Desires Terrace?? Is that inside or out? We are wanting to do a slideshow- where is the best place to do that and have any of you done that?

 

Finally :) My flowers are going to be a mix of dahlias, callas, tulips, etc... she has quoted me $60 for my bmaids and $150 for mine... If I am getting the Utlimate PKG- how does that work- if my bouquet is supposed to me included?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo View Post
Oh that is just ridiculous! I find I can still get an email once a week / every two weeks. I usually send an email (I have began to compile questions though and send a couple at once). Then if there is no response in one week, I send another email as a 'friendly' reminder. Once I did go above Ana to the Sales Manager I believe, and got 2 emails from her within 24 hours after that but now back to weekly. It is ridiculously frustrating, I have been planning this thing for 5 months!! Only 7+ months to go.

On a separate note, have any of the ladies been able to get a room upgrade. We are fine but my grandparents got the garden view room, we splurged just a little got the basic ocean view room. I was hoping to have them upgraded to ocean view or ocean front would be even better – has anyone had much luck with this?
What is the sales manager's email address?
I'm going on almost a month without a response and my wedding is in July. I sent her a reminder on Friday but still nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by allegraapple View Post
Laura and Carina,
I know you both had your own photographers (and also used the resort photographers as supplemental...) but would you have trusted the resort photographers for the entire weddinghuh.gif (i understand it would be an additional cost outside of the package because you'd probably need to add a few hours). Just looking for advice.
I would definitely trust the resort photographers for the entire wedding. They were really so nice and they know the resort so well, they would probably come up with some great spots for taking pictures. Plus, they are at the resort everyday so if you wanted to meet with them in person before your wedding, you could do that too. I think they are great. I guess you would just have to figure out how much more they would charge for the extra time. I know that when you buy prints from them it is $15 per picture. Although with the Ultimate Package you get 50 pictures. Definitely worth thinking about!


Quote:
Originally Posted by SDbeachgirl View Post
Laura and Carina,
I'm sure you are getting tired of all the questions! I have a few questions:

1. Did you have a sand ceremony? If so, did you bring your own vase or rent one from the resort?
2. Did you meet with your officiant prior to the wedding?
3. Did you use the resort's ceremony script or did you have your own?
4. Did you create menu cards?

I'm sure I have a lot more questions, but those are the most recent one's that I have been thinking of.

Thanks!
I don't mind answering questions at all! :)
1. I didn't have a sand ceremony so I can't help with this one :)
2. My officiant was my cousin so I didn't use the one from the resort.
3. I wrote my own ceremony - well, I put it together from a bunch of ceremony samples that I found online. I can post it if you would like...
4. I had the buffet and they labeled everything on the buffet (with really nice cards) so everyone was able to see what they were eating. If you are getting the buffet, you definitely don't need menu cards.



Quote:
Originally Posted by volosikj View Post
Help! My mother in law just went on a site visit to DRC this past week that she booked behind my back (another long story!). And she is claiming that it was "freezing" there and that it is far too cold that time of year to have an outdoor wedding. I am getting married January 15th, 2011, and she is telling my FI for us to change the wedding because our guests will be miserable. I have already sent out STD's and some of our guests have booked air. I have been to Mexico in February several times and never thought it was cold, but a little windy at night. I was planning on handing out Pashminias anyways.

Does anyone think that mid January it will be too cold to get married on the beach and have an evening reception on the pool deck? Did anyone have any complaints when they got married on the pool deck that it was too cold or too windy? Or has anyone gone to Riviera Maya in January?? I have been trying to google the temperatures and it is coming up 83 high, 63 low and that doesn't seem too cold. I need advice!
When I was there in February, it was a little chilly at night, probably in the 60's and windy. During the day, it was in the high 70's-80's. I did not think that it was freezing at all! My ceremony was on the beach and my reception was on the pool deck and the day I got married it was extra windy. Everyone had such a good time! It would have been nice if it weren't so windy, but nobody complained about it. I was there for 7 nights and then right next door at the Excellence for 5 nights and the temps were about the same the whole time. The Mexican people we spoke with, however, said that the temps were unseasonably cool and that it is usually warmer than what we experienced. I would have no problem going back in February. Actually a group of our guests are already trying to plan a trip back for next February. I think you will be fine! And if you are giving out pashminas, then your guests will definitely be fine!


Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsjcr View Post
I feel bad for asking ??s to Laura-- but if you dont mind :) haha SORRY :)

Or anyone for that matter who got a DJ... we are going to get the DJ- can I still put a playlist together for him to play? We do want to pick our own music.

Also- we are thinking of having the rehearsal dinner in Desires Terrace?? Is that inside or out? We are wanting to do a slideshow- where is the best place to do that and have any of you done that?

Finally :) My flowers are going to be a mix of dahlias, callas, tulips, etc... she has quoted me $60 for my bmaids and $150 for mine... If I am getting the Utlimate PKG- how does that work- if my bouquet is supposed to me included?
Are you getting DJ Doremixx (Ivan)? If so, he will ask you for a playlist of songs. He will want to meet with you before the wedding and you can give it to him then. He told us that he could get any song that we wanted him to play. We didn't really have a playlist for him and told him just to play what he thought would be fun and he did a fantastic job! He is very accommodating and I am sure he would work with you.

We had our cocktail hour on the Desires Terrace. It is outside and set up like a lounge with couches and tables. If you were having a dinner with tables, there is also a terrace in front of the entrance to Desires, which is also their back-up spot in case of rain for the ceremony. They could easily set up tables for a dinner there. I am not sure about the slideshow - I didn't do that and didn't see any being done. However, if you were doing that the night of the rehearsal dinner, there would be space for that on the Desires Terrace where all the lounge furniture is, I think.

As far as the flowers, I picked my bouquet from what was included. Unfortunately, I think that if you want something different, you will have to pay for it. Although, maybe you could negotiate a little with Ana and get extra bouts or a bridesmaid bouquet or something like that since you are not using the bouquet that is included.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura22610 View Post
I would definitely trust the resort photographers for the entire wedding. They were really so nice and they know the resort so well, they would probably come up with some great spots for taking pictures. Plus, they are at the resort everyday so if you wanted to meet with them in person before your wedding, you could do that too. I think they are great. I guess you would just have to figure out how much more they would charge for the extra time. I know that when you buy prints from them it is $15 per picture. Although with the Ultimate Package you get 50 pictures. Definitely worth thinking about!




I don't mind answering questions at all! :)
1. I didn't have a sand ceremony so I can't help with this one :)
2. My officiant was my cousin so I didn't use the one from the resort.
3. I wrote my own ceremony - well, I put it together from a bunch of ceremony samples that I found online. I can post it if you would like...
4. I had the buffet and they labeled everything on the buffet (with really nice cards) so everyone was able to see what they were eating. If you are getting the buffet, you definitely don't need menu cards.




When I was there in February, it was a little chilly at night, probably in the 60's and windy. During the day, it was in the high 70's-80's. I did not think that it was freezing at all! My ceremony was on the beach and my reception was on the pool deck and the day I got married it was extra windy. Everyone had such a good time! It would have been nice if it weren't so windy, but nobody complained about it. I was there for 7 nights and then right next door at the Excellence for 5 nights and the temps were about the same the whole time. The Mexican people we spoke with, however, said that the temps were unseasonably cool and that it is usually warmer than what we experienced. I would have no problem going back in February. Actually a group of our guests are already trying to plan a trip back for next February. I think you will be fine! And if you are giving out pashminas, then your guests will definitely be fine!



Are you getting DJ Doremixx (Ivan)? If so, he will ask you for a playlist of songs. He will want to meet with you before the wedding and you can give it to him then. He told us that he could get any song that we wanted him to play. We didn't really have a playlist for him and told him just to play what he thought would be fun and he did a fantastic job! He is very accommodating and I am sure he would work with you.

We had our cocktail hour on the Desires Terrace. It is outside and set up like a lounge with couches and tables. If you were having a dinner with tables, there is also a terrace in front of the entrance to Desires, which is also their back-up spot in case of rain for the ceremony. They could easily set up tables for a dinner there. I am not sure about the slideshow - I didn't do that and didn't see any being done. However, if you were doing that the night of the rehearsal dinner, there would be space for that on the Desires Terrace where all the lounge furniture is, I think.

As far as the flowers, I picked my bouquet from what was included. Unfortunately, I think that if you want something different, you will have to pay for it. Although, maybe you could negotiate a little with Ana and get extra bouts or a bridesmaid bouquet or something like that since you are not using the bouquet that is included.
THANK YOU SO MUCH Laura. Did you have a rehearsal dinner?? If so- where did you do it?

Also- I read above that you would post your wedding ceremony. My brother is doing ours and he is having a hard time finding what he wants to do, so if you would please post that- that would be VERY helpful. THANKS :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosikj View Post
Help! My mother in law just went on a site visit to DRC this past week that she booked behind my back (another long story!). And she is claiming that it was "freezing" there and that it is far too cold that time of year to have an outdoor wedding. I am getting married January 15th, 2011, and she is telling my FI for us to change the wedding because our guests will be miserable. I have already sent out STD's and some of our guests have booked air. I have been to Mexico in February several times and never thought it was cold, but a little windy at night. I was planning on handing out Pashminias anyways.

Does anyone think that mid January it will be too cold to get married on the beach and have an evening reception on the pool deck? Did anyone have any complaints when they got married on the pool deck that it was too cold or too windy? Or has anyone gone to Riviera Maya in January?? I have been trying to google the temperatures and it is coming up 83 high, 63 low and that doesn't seem too cold. I need advice!
Wow!! That wasn't very nice of her to do a site-visit without you or your FI asking her too, and it just adds unneeded stress to your plate in regards to the weather. I'm from the south (Florida) and my family still lives there, so honestly.. like Laura said it was just a freakishly cold winter for them this year. In my family's 11 years in Florida they have never had it as cold as this year. So I think you'll be fine next January :) Don't let your mother-in-law scare you off from your wedding date!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsjcr View Post
THANK YOU SO MUCH Laura. Did you have a rehearsal dinner?? If so- where did you do it?

Also- I read above that you would post your wedding ceremony. My brother is doing ours and he is having a hard time finding what he wants to do, so if you would please post that- that would be VERY helpful. THANKS :)
We had our rehearsal dinner at El Patio. It was great! Here's a link to pictures the resort photographer took for us...
Laura & Don

And here is our ceremony...
Attachment 4755

 

 

wedding ceremony.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura22610 View Post
We had our rehearsal dinner at El Patio. It was great! Here's a link to pictures the resort photographer took for us...
Laura & Don

And here is our ceremony...
Attachment 4755
Laura! Thanks for posting!!!!! Your review has been so helpful. Great photos at El Patio (I can't open the ceremony pdf). I love your gift bags. Where did you get them?

Did you schedule the welcome dinner directly with the restaurant? How soon did that have to be done?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by t1219 View Post
Laura! Thanks for posting!!!!! Your review has been so helpful. Great photos at El Patio (I can't open the ceremony pdf). I love your gift bags. Where did you get them?

Did you schedule the welcome dinner directly with the restaurant? How soon did that have to be done?
I got the bags on Amazon... here is the link
Amazon.com: Olive N Figs Plain Vanilla Jute Handbag/Tote: Clothing

We did schedule the dinner directly with the restaurant. We did this on Tuesday ( and the dinner was Thursday). However, if you could get the email address for the restaurant manager beforehand, that might be helpful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×