Dreams Riviera Cancun - Brides post here (new thread)

lcraney--You mentioned fireworks, were these supplied by the DJ or did the resort do a firework display?  Also, although my wedding isn't until May 12 2012, I'm having a time getting in touch with the resort. I don't know how to get the money to these folks. I would like to start picking and choosing and paying over time but is this even an option?  I'm afraid if we try to save money, we won't have enough to pay for everything. How are the rest of you handling the arrangments?

Shoes:

I wore fancy flip flops which were great. I could have done barefoot and been okay. the sand is soft and usually not too hot by 5pm.

Other people wore little thicker heels and seemed ok. They provided a basic aisle runner so it was flat down the aisle, just tricky walking from sand to the aisle if you wore heels.

Heels are fine on the deck. 

Dancefloor:

We did not purchase a second dance floor. people just started dancing on the beach next to the deck for fun and it became another area for us to party. :)

First dance floor i think you have to pay for, and I have NO idea about the fireworks and who set them up. They only went off once and were small and seemed to be attached to the dance floor somehow. That was all a mystery to us. 

Pictures:

We had limited time so we stuck to the beach and gazebo. Stayed in the area, we did not feel like getting too crazy running around the resort for pics. Though there are definitely awesome places to shoot around the hotel.

Fireworks: 
These were like tiny sparklers, not real fireworks. they were tiny and surprising, we don't know how or why they came to be. We did not expect them or ask for them and I doubt the DJ was responsible, but maybe he was? Sorry I don't really know about that stuff. 

For the wedding May 12, 2012, I am sorry to say you most likely won't hear much at all for another 6 mos. Or it will be spotty. They only really start responding better a few months out. And honestly, that is all you really need. Be prepared to feel nuts because there are only little things you can do in the meantime, while friends getting married locally will be doing big things for months in advance. But that is actually the beauty of this choice for a wedding--it is low key and super easy to make it spectacular!

Paying a little bit at a time is not an option with the resort, unfortunately. At least I have never heard of them doing it thus far. We gathered prices of everything via email and made choices on things based on our budget and the hotel worked with us a little to keep to our budget, and we did not upgrade much at all. We started saving up in a wedding fund account, and then we just put the whole charge on our CC to get CC points, and will be paying it off sometime in the next few weeks with our savings. You can do it! Good luck!

Was the pool opened during your reception? I have seen a few pictures where there are people in the pool watching the reception. Not that I would probably even notice on my wedding day! But I am getting married in November so I know that everything will start earlier because the sun sets earlier and we need time to get pictures.

Originally Posted by lcraney View Post

Dancefloor:

We did not purchase a second dance floor. people just started dancing on the beach next to the deck for fun and it became another area for us to party. :)

First dance floor i think you have to pay for, and I have NO idea about the fireworks and who set them up. They only went off once and were small and seemed to be attached to the dance floor somehow. That was all a mystery to us. 

Pictures:

We had limited time so we stuck to the beach and gazebo. Stayed in the area, we did not feel like getting too crazy running around the resort for pics. Though there are definitely awesome places to shoot around the hotel.

Thanks girls for all of your info!!  It helps us future brides out sooo much!  I can't wait to start packing.... 20 more days!!  cheers.gif  My bridesmaids and I are going to see BRIDESMAIDS tonight...I hear it's hilarious!!

June 18th wedding - 30 adults!

Originally Posted by FutureMrsRobart View Post

We did have tooth paste, mini white tooth brushes and adding to the list lotion, a mini-sewing kit, shower caps and mini mani kit that had a nail file :-)  Robes and Dreams slippers were also provided.  For some reason I don't remember conditioner but thats probably because I brought my own lol

Icraney!!!!  Congrats on being a MRS.!!!  WOW!! You're review was absolutely awesome!  Can not wait to see your pictures!  Thanks for letting us know about the whole shoe thing with the sand and pool deck.  I was concerned about this.  You have set my mind at ease and I simply cant wait for my turn on June 24th!!  I had scheduled my cocktail hour right after the ceremony and you've brought up sooooo many good points that now I'm re-organizing my timeline....I was wondering if you'd share your spreadsheets with me as well...Please send anything you wouldn't mind sharing...  my email address is:  el45@nyu.edu

Again, thanks so very much for your wonderful reviews!!!!  It was insanely helpful!!!!!!

You ROCK!!!!! cheer2.gif

Congrats again!!  email address is:  el45@nyu.edu

-Evelyn

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcraney View Post

Shoes:

I wore fancy flip flops which were great. I could have done barefoot and been okay. the sand is soft and usually not too hot by 5pm.

Other people wore little thicker heels and seemed ok. They provided a basic aisle runner so it was flat down the aisle, just tricky walking from sand to the aisle if you wore heels.

Heels are fine on the deck.