Dreams Riviera Cancun - Brides post here (new thread)

A lot of that have been married at Dreams started planning and got exceptions made by Ana - and then honored by Gaby after Ana left.  Ana made a mess of everything, she made exceptions for everything and everyone and by the time Gaby got there, she inherited an unorganized exception nightmare - so I think she just seems a bit tougher on exceptions - but that doesn't mean she isn't flexible - it just runs smoother for everyone with less exceptions and mixing and matching with the menus etc.  Have you tried asking (sweetly) for an exception from Gaby?  They won't take any money off the price of the package but they'll probably let you bring an outside photographer.  Be prepared - if that photographer is NOT staying at the resort, you might also need to pay for a day pass for that photographer. 

It's pretty standard at all these resorts that there are more than one wedding a day - for a while Ana used to allow 3 a day, Gaby cracked down on that and only does two a day.  

As far as finalizing everything - for those brides just booking now - my advice (and what I did) is to book your date, time AND locations (ceremony, reception, cocktail hour) all at the same time and right away.  The rest of the details: food, flowers, decor will be done 2-3 weeks before your wedding.

When Gaby met with my husband and I the week of our wedding we really got along well and I've emailed her a few times since our wedding to chat - she really is a sweet and fabulous woman...she's just quick and to the point with her emails during the planning stages - but now I find her emails much more personal since we've met in person :) and we had some good laughs while we were in Mexico too.  

I'm sure it's hard for her, she wants you to have confidence in her so she wants to be professional and through email that might come off as cold or short.  I have a lot of respect for her because she stepped in one month before my wedding with nothing but an empty file folder with my name on it and my wedding was absolutely everything I hoped for and more.  I understand there are always frustrations but I admit it - I'm a Gaby Fan and a total Gaby cheerleader.  cheer2.gif

Originally Posted by MrsKellyG2B View Post

HI

I must admit the last few days have been a little annoying for me and my partner, Gabby seems quite abrupt and not so friendly in her emails to us.  We were told it was very relaxed and things could be arranged while were there and that we are likely to be the only couple getting married that day, so there was no need to worry about finalising anything.  Now were told no, no, no finalisation 3 weeks prior and also there IS another wedding and they have already booked our first choice for after drinks and canapes and reception!!!  We were also told NO outside photographers and yet we read on here that people have taken or used other photographers.

Does anyone else feel that everything is quite unorganised???

Kelly x

Lilly is absolutely right.  Ana made a mess of things and Gaby was left to pick up the pieces and try her best to move it all forward.  She really is a delight to work with.  I actually grew to like Gaby a lot and cried when saying goodbye to her-- she did a lot for my husband and I.  and she was very easy to work with ... Whatever you want, she will make it happen for you.  I am a Gaby fan, too!  We just all have to keep in mind- she has up to 2 weddings a day sometimes and then on top of that she talks to hundreds of brides daily.. she is very very busy.  As for the outside photographer-- if you are bringing one from home, etc and they are staying at the hotel-- that is fine.  If they are not staying at the hotel- they have to pay a day pass fee.  If they are another photographer from Mexico-- they will not allow that.

Originally Posted by lilly129 View Post

A lot of that have been married at Dreams started planning and got exceptions made by Ana - and then honored by Gaby after Ana left.  Ana made a mess of everything, she made exceptions for everything and everyone and by the time Gaby got there, she inherited an unorganized exception nightmare - so I think she just seems a bit tougher on exceptions - but that doesn't mean she isn't flexible - it just runs smoother for everyone with less exceptions and mixing and matching with the menus etc.  Have you tried asking (sweetly) for an exception from Gaby?  They won't take any money off the price of the package but they'll probably let you bring an outside photographer.  Be prepared - if that photographer is NOT staying at the resort, you might also need to pay for a day pass for that photographer. 

It's pretty standard at all these resorts that there are more than one wedding a day - for a while Ana used to allow 3 a day, Gaby cracked down on that and only does two a day.  

As far as finalizing everything - for those brides just booking now - my advice (and what I did) is to book your date, time AND locations (ceremony, reception, cocktail hour) all at the same time and right away.  The rest of the details: food, flowers, decor will be done 2-3 weeks before your wedding.

When Gaby met with my husband and I the week of our wedding we really got along well and I've emailed her a few times since our wedding to chat - she really is a sweet and fabulous woman...she's just quick and to the point with her emails during the planning stages - but now I find her emails much more personal since we've met in person :) and we had some good laughs while we were in Mexico too.  

I'm sure it's hard for her, she wants you to have confidence in her so she wants to be professional and through email that might come off as cold or short.  I have a lot of respect for her because she stepped in one month before my wedding with nothing but an empty file folder with my name on it and my wedding was absolutely everything I hoped for and more.  I understand there are always frustrations but I admit it - I'm a Gaby Fan and a total Gaby cheerleader.  cheer2.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKellyG2B View Post

HI

I must admit the last few days have been a little annoying for me and my partner, Gabby seems quite abrupt and not so friendly in her emails to us.  We were told it was very relaxed and things could be arranged while were there and that we are likely to be the only couple getting married that day, so there was no need to worry about finalising anything.  Now were told no, no, no finalisation 3 weeks prior and also there IS another wedding and they have already booked our first choice for after drinks and canapes and reception!!!  We were also told NO outside photographers and yet we read on here that people have taken or used other photographers.

Does anyone else feel that everything is quite unorganised???

Kelly x

OMG. I could just scream right now!

Sure enough she is leaving, i sent her an email this morning. I started planning with Ana, then she left and everything was all screwed up and then Maria Magdalena made all these promises and said she wouldn't change things and blah blah, now SHE'S leaving too! Its bad enough they never seem to know whats going on when they e-mail you back- but now our (and other brides too) plans have been in two sets of hands, and now a 3rd!!

We leave in exactly two months, and I'm not feeling at all confident that they'll pull it off without some sort of disaster. I even have a small wedding- and im still freaking out! How is this fair? Everyone's being told different things and no one will truly know how it will go till they get off the plane and into the resort.

Am I the only one freaking out here? lol =(

I am a month away from my wedding, and have also been frustrated by communications with them.  I just keep reading on this forum and others about how everything turns out in the end.  I guess you have to give up some control when you plan a destination wedding.  I'm trying to relax about the wedding details for now because I have a crisis with some difficult family members on top of it all.  I'm going to try the "go with the flow" technique and see how it turns out. I've decided that as long as we end up married in the end, and everything looks beautiful, it will be a success.  Honestly, I don't think this resort can afford to screw up anyone's wedding.  Tourism in Mexico is down, and they must know that they have a bad reputation when it comes to communicating with clients.  They have to be able to pull it out in the end or they will lose a lot of future business.

Hang in there!  I know I am...

We leave in 8 days. . .so I'm right there with you chic!  I pulled together centerpieces to HAUL down there since I can't get an answer on what I want.  I started a master document of sorts that has every detail that I want for the wedding/reception.  I've sent an updated copy to Magdalena everytime we locked something down.  My MOH gets there next Friday and she is going to take the list and demand to meet with someone because even though my TA has emailed the resort as well . . . still not hearing anything from the new coordinator as stated I would in the email I got from Magdalena with her resignation announcement. 

hello Tsgnatko!!

In case you need any help with flowers, decor and furniture rental, I would love to help you!

My email is: glavor@planner1events.com , send me a email and I can send you amazing options for your so special day!!

Kindly regards

Gabi Lavor

Originally Posted by tsgnatko View Post

Can you please all help me?huh.gifhuh.gifhuh.gif?

I am gettting married 2/10/11 which is exactly 3 months from today

My plan is to have a "Welcome Party" in the Lobby bar and no rehearsal dinner

Is this a good schuedule

My wedding is at 3:00

Cocktail party 4-6

Dinner 6-8

Reception 8-11  

When do I go over all the details such as lighting for reception, music, table decorations, flowers, etc...

Please help

Do I need my own ceremony script of is what they have good

i am so freaking out

Hey ladies...not to be a downer, but has anyone heard about the recent explosion in a Playa del Carmen resort?

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/world/stories/DN-mexico_15int.ART.State.Edition1.e26e42.html

I know it's not in exactly the same area but I'm traveling down there on Friday and although I would never dream of cancelling plans, it's still a freaky story... :(

Maybe some of the vendors who live there know something?!

Originally Posted by Missy1 View Post

Sorry ladies...just saw on the Dreams facebook page that Magdalana is now gone...anybody else have her as a WC?

I also had Maggie after Ana had left. This is disappointing that she is also leaving. I wonder who they will stick us with now? Our wedding is not until June 18, 2011 and I hope this next coordinator will actually stay for the long haul.  I am just counting on the agreement that Ana had made on paper with me to follow through to the end. Does anyone know WHY she's leaving? My coordinator and I did not even get an email yet from Dreams regarding this....

I leave on Dec. 1 and my TA said it shouldn't affect anything. It was a natural gas line that exploded... nothing that could have been prevented or predicted. Have fun and don't worry about it!

Originally Posted by 1106wedding View Post

Hey ladies...not to be a downer, but has anyone heard about the recent explosion in a Playa del Carmen resort?

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/world/stories/DN-mexico_15int.ART.State.Edition1.e26e42.html

I know it's not in exactly the same area but I'm traveling down there on Friday and although I would never dream of cancelling plans, it's still a freaky story... :(

Maybe some of the vendors who live there know something?!