Dreams Riviera Cancun - Brides post here (new thread)

Thanks for the heads up! My TA is still waiting to hear back about overall availability October 2011.

I really don't want ceremony or reception on the beach so it sounds like the pool deck is the only other outside area large enough.

Good luck with your location!!!

Originally Posted by Missy1 View Post

I'm getting married at the gazebo and the only problem I've been told that there maybe with that location is that is not very private. It right by the pool area so everyone at the pool can watch your ceremony, which was fine for me (the more the merrier) but I know some people want a really private and intimate spot for there ceremony and the only choice I was given was the beach or the terrace  which doesn't hold 75 people. I've also read that if your concerned about the people at the pool being noisey or anything during the ceremony alot of brides have said that they haven't had any problems and that everyone has been very respectful as far as keeping it down during the ceremony.

Depending on your date, some of the reception spots maybe booked already. I really wanted the pool deck but it was already booked so they told me my only other options were the beach, which my fiance' was totally against and the ballroom. I had seen some other photos of brides who had had private receptions at on of the restaurants so I inquired about that and the deal with that is, they can close one of their restaurants for you for you must have at least 40 people, its and additional $30 per person, which is a minimum of $1200 just to close the restaurant, not including the additional fees you have to pay for every person thats not covered in your package and they have to know which restaurant 2 months in advance. This is kind of the option i'm leaning towards because the beach reception is out i'm just not crazy about the additional $1200..and i'm still waiting to see pics of the ball room.

So word to the wise, upon booking your date, book your ceremony and reception spots immediately. I wish I would have known sooner.

I just want to jump in here regarding the information our, heck I am going to call her a DWP (Destination Wedding Planner) because she is more than a travel agent.  What she told us regarding the pool deck is not that wide because of the chairs there for the day use and on one side you can have people walking through to get to the beach.  It seemed like the beach or some terrace area was the only place that was more private.  We decided not to use the resort because if they are giving me problems now whats going to happen when it gets closer to my wedding. Oh, another item I did not like was when our DWP showed us pictures she took while staying there.  The bathroom is wide open.  I have sisters who would share rooms.  The headboard for the bed on the other side is the sinks and a frosted door for the toliet and shower, no, I am not going to put them into that.

Oops a few more tidbits! 

In my meeting with Gaby we were chatting and she mentioned they are going back to what was originally the plan - TWO WEDDINGS A DAY - no more of this three business..PHEW! (but that probably explains why May June and July are booked - I booked over a year in advance and was able to secure my locations then).  We were supposed to have three weddings on my day but one of them cancelled three months ago. Gaby is the one that put her foot down on the number of weddings a day. So I could see she was coming in and cleaning up that department. 

Also - Gaby previously worked at the Ritz in Cancun - so for anyone who might be worried about her experience - you shouldn't be.  She is highly qualified and highly experienced...this isn't her first rodeo. 

Have patience with her, when Ana left she was left with a huge unorganized mess and empty file folders (our file literally had our names and wedding date written on the top and nothing else) - she's getting caught up and training another girl right now.  She's also working to secure vendors - and when I met with Ivan he told me she had chosen him for the dj :)

Awesome review, and so helpful for so many of us. Thanks for your review on tripadvisor also- I stalk that site daily =)

I'm still so up in the air about the room- we have the pref club ocean view booked, and from what i hear the wedding couple usually gets upgraded, but what if its not avialable? I really want the extra space and bigger balcony in the honeymoon suite- but it is like 400 or 500$ extra to change to that room, when we may just get that upgrade for free when we arrive.

anyone have thoughts on this??

Hey ladies - I did not bring anything with me other than paper products (favor tags/programs etc) - so the tablecloths and napkins were from DecoCancun - they cost $13 for the tablecloth and $1.20 for the napkins.  The chairs we had were also from deco cancun, they cost $8.  

The centerpieces cost $80.00 (you get one included in the package)

My bridesmaids bouquets (pink roses and pink calla lilies) were $120

My bouquet cost an extra $100 and that was for the orchids.  So if I had just done roses and calla lilies my bouquet would have been included in the package.  

Bouts were mini pink calla lilies for the groomsmen and cost $25 

Grooms bout was a single green orchid and she did not charge us extra for that

Rose petals for my flower girl were $22 and one bag is all you'll need

Thanks for the kind words!!

We did the same thing originally, we booked the preferred club ocean view and then about 3 months until the wedding we decided to rebook in the honeymoon suite.  We knew we'd have about 25 welcome boxes to put together - we had an entire suitcase filled with welcome box stuff so we wanted to be able to spread out and get those done and secondly I knew on the wedding day I'd have about 10 people hanging out in my room getting ready and I didn't want to be crammed into a regular room.  I know from a few of my guests that when they got down there and they had an ocean view room they were offered upgrades to plunge pools or suites at much lower prices then what they had seen online.  Personally, I'd say - do it - it's your wedding - enjoy the honeymoon suite! Besides they give you a bottle of champagne on your first night :) And a door sash...ours said happy anniversary...hahaha

I used to get so upset reading tripadvisor and my travel agent suggested I post there as well. Trust me, I know it's so hard to plan a destination wedding - I realized after I met with Gaby that this was no longer in my hands, it was in hers and I needed to just sit back and relax and enjoy my guests.  So stress all the way up until you arrive at Dreams and then let it all go and have a good time :)

Originally Posted by BethAnne View Post

Awesome review, and so helpful for so many of us. Thanks for your review on tripadvisor also- I stalk that site daily =)

I'm still so up in the air about the room- we have the pref club ocean view booked, and from what i hear the wedding couple usually gets upgraded, but what if its not avialable? I really want the extra space and bigger balcony in the honeymoon suite- but it is like 400 or 500$ extra to change to that room, when we may just get that upgrade for free when we arrive.

anyone have thoughts on this??

Thank you so much for the review and pictures/prices!  It looks like your wedding was beautiful!! 

Originally Posted by lilly129 View Post

Hey ladies - I did not bring anything with me other than paper products (favor tags/programs etc) - so the tablecloths and napkins were from DecoCancun - they cost $13 for the tablecloth and $1.20 for the napkins.  The chairs we had were also from deco cancun, they cost $8.  

The centerpieces cost $80.00 (you get one included in the package)

My bridesmaids bouquets (pink roses and pink calla lilies) were $120

My bouquet cost an extra $100 and that was for the orchids.  So if I had just done roses and calla lilies my bouquet would have been included in the package.  

Bouts were mini pink calla lilies for the groomsmen and cost $25 

Grooms bout was a single green orchid and she did not charge us extra for that

Rose petals for my flower girl were $22 and one bag is all you'll need

Thanks for the kind words!!