How to determine dress size??

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 lexibride

• 276 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 09:03 AM

Ok, so I'm going to a running of the brides event and it will be the first time trying on a dress so I don't know what size I should be trying on. I'm a usually a 10/12 in street clothes so I'm thinking I'll be a 14/16 in a wedding dress right??

#2 tracyann

• 189 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 09:05 AM

Would it be possible for you to go to a store before this, get measured and see what size the measurements fit?

But, if you can't do that, I would think that a 14/16 would be close.

#3 dolfinluck

• 2,424 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 11:00 AM

I would think 14/16 maybe even a 12 depending on the cut of the dress. For me certain cuts i had to go up a size and others down a size.

#4 lexibride

• 276 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 11:04 AM

I think I'd feel really funny going to a bridal salon and not making an appt to try dresses on and how could I really get measured without doing that? anyhow, I think I'll just wing it because it's not like I'll be able to pick the sizes I grab, so I'll try anything on I guess!

#5 Kristin_And_Stewart

• 153 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 11:07 AM

When i was trying on dresses, i always had to go up a size. And when i got measured they said i fit perfectly into their "8" category...which makes sense cause i'm usually a 6 in anything else. And the floor model was actually an 8...and it fit perfectly...so i don't feel like they were lying about the size i needed.

Also you can always take-in a dress, but you wouldn't want to add extra fabric if it needs to be bigger, you'd lose the shape of the dress.

#6 jk1101

• 2,582 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 11:50 AM

I agree with the other girls - I'm a 10 street size and after measuring they ordered the 14. They can always make it smaller if neccessary - it's much harder to make it bigger.
              Good luck at the Running - it's supposed to be insane!

#7 hsims1

• 356 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:02 PM

I too agree, I am a street size 4, but for my ceremony wedding dress they ordered a 6. It really does also depend on the fit of the dress. I have two dresses one for ceremony and one for the reception. My reception dress is a size 8.

#8 Sloan

• 1,279 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:07 PM

I guess Im weird. I got the same dress size as my street size. I guess airing on the side of caution and getting a slightly larger size is best. You can always have it altered, right?

#9 kgeecee

• 194 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:16 PM

go bigger cause its easier to make it smaller. plus its gonna depend on what style and how your built.
                    I have a bigger rib cage so things had a hard time zippering dresses up so I actually had to go 2 sizes up.... i will be ripping that tag out right away!!!

#10 lexibride

• 276 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 05:19 PM

That's a great point that a certain part might be bigger, I remember when I was in high school (pre-breast reduction) I was a size 8 but my boobs were 38DD so I had to order a 16 just to cover the girls and then half the dress came off to fit my waist!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users