Sign in to follow this  
ErinS

Melia las Dunas - ceremony at 6pm!!

Hi,

We just got our confirmed ceremony time. It's 6pm...in February. Has anyone else gotten married in Cuba around this time (in Feb). I just hope there is enough daylight (and time between ceremony and dinner) to take some good pictures. We don't want to see each other before the ceremony so we are not going to take pics until after.

Thanks!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitri_Markine View Post
In February the sunset is at around 6:10-6:20 and then darkness comes :) Pictures at night are not easy to do and then they rarely look as good as pictures at other times of the day.

Good luck!
That's true, sunset is at around this time ^^^. Check this website for last February sunset time: Sunrise and Sunset for Cuba – Havana – February 2009

I think you should consider doing pictures before the ceremony, if you are ok with that idea. (That's what I did!)

EDIT - Sorry, I just re-read the last sentence of your post. If you don't want to see each other before the ceremony but want good pictures, you should ask for another time for your ceremony, if it's possible...

6pm is quite late. I mean,weddings do run late all the time. Yo will only have a window of about 20 minutes. If you are late, the ceremony is going to be at night and that's not ideal. Especially because there are power interruptions a few times a week and who knows...

Hey girl-- we got married at 6pm this June, and while the sun sets a little later in the summer, the hotel wouldn't necessarly have allowed the time if they thought you'd be doing it in the dark (as they don't want the notary driving accross the bridge in the dark-- it's scary at night!)

Here is a sunset / sunrise calendar for Havana (it was bang on for us) the "sunset" lasts about 1/2 hour-- so keep that in mind when you're scoping out Feb.

Monthly Sunrise Sunset Times for Havana, Cuba

Thanks for that calender Ash.

I figured they wouldn't book us at 6 if it was going to be dark.. We have tried to reschedule but they are booked solid with weddings!!

We will just make the best of it and take super quick photos after the ceremony! I'm sure it will be a great day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinS View Post
Thanks for that calender Ash.

I figured they wouldn't book us at 6 if it was going to be dark.. We have tried to reschedule but they are booked solid with weddings!!
We will just make the best of it and take super quick photos after the ceremony! I'm sure it will be a great day!
Erin, are you two planning on doing a TTD the next day?? To be honest, DH and I did all of our group shots/ ceremony photos from 6:30-7:30 (the last few were dusk with the middle end being sunset and gorgeous)
All of our best day photos were from our TTD sesh anyway-- something to consider when you are worried about getting enough full-daylight shots. :)

Are you taking a photog or hiring one from the resort?

Thanks for the calendar Ashley, it's a great help. I'm also getting married at 6pm and i think i'll be taking most of my pictures before the ceremony and take a couple with my soon to husband at sunset. Do you know if can make my hair appointment early in the day so i have a couple of hours before the ceremony do take pictures and do we make this appointment before getting there or only when we arrivehuh.gif

Thanks for all the great tips and i loved reading your review!

Congrats again!

Sylvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvie5140 View Post
Do you know if can make my hair appointment early in the day so i have a couple of hours before the ceremony do take pictures and do we make this appointment before getting there or only when we arrivehuh.gif

Sylvie
Hey Sylvie-- You can definitely choose to have your hair app't bumped up (I just didn't think I needed to) If you are doing the 6pm ceremony book your app't for 3:30 MINIMUM! Maria Elena will actually have your app't booked for you ahead of time, but you can mention that you would like it earlier in the day once you have arrived and they are pretty great at accommodating you.

If you're really concerend, Melissa (Melia Cuba rep for Can) can help you out by relaying info. to Maria Elena for you (photog. preference, hair app't, menu questions) She may not be able to guaruntee anything for you, but she can try. :)