guests who complain about everything...

bcbride

For those of you who have dealt with these certain guests who just have something to say about everything, how did you deal with them?

There is this one guest, who appeared to be so supportive of our idea to have a DW in the beginning, has now decided to complain about resort, date of the wedding, who we have invited, how much it will cost to go to Mexico (we gave our guests an approx quote so they can save and prepare 13 month notice), and I'm sure many more in the future.. (I'm surprised she hasn't said anything about the swine flu)

She is part of FI's extended family, and it has been difficult to ignore her since she will talk to FI's other family members (including immediate family members) and get them going too!!!

And I don't even understand why they are telling us, I don't care if they complain amongst themselves, but do they expect us to change resorts and our wedding date or something?

Seriously, if she doesn't want to come to our wedding, we dont need her negative attitude anyway and how she influences other people to join her misery.... thanks to forum for allowing me to vent!!!

Oh Hun, I am so sorry you have to deal with this! We have the same problem!! From my FSIL and FMIL and even my Dad!

The best you can do is remember this is YOUR wedding, and if they don't like it they can just suck it up!

I know it's hard to ignore, and it can be stressful, but you will have a beautiful wedding that is the one YOU wanted, and your family will be having so much fun that they won't be complaining when they get there! (That's what I'm hoping for me too... lets cross our fingers!)

Good Luck with everything!!

I too have had many voice their opinions about our upcoming wedding in DR. I would have to agree that you need to ignore it (and I know it's easier said than done) and also, I find that if I put my foot down and say "last I checked it is MY wedding". I have a lot of opinions/comments coming at me about the wedding party attire....getting pretty sick of it. I find when I say it's my wedding, it seems to shut people up. Also, it I do get to the point where I say "if anyone doesn't like it, they don't have to come".

Works pretty well.

Hope this helps.

Eek... sounds like this person won't be happy no matter what situation she's in. Just keep your head high- if your other relatives let her opinions ruin their glorious vacation, that's their problem.

Some people are addicted to complaining, even when they're in paradise, and you shouldn't let them ruin your special day!

I'm so sorry that you're having to go through this. That's really unfortunate. But, you have to remember, that no matter where you have your wedding, and how you choose to plan it, there will always be people who want you to do things differently. Ultimately, they need to realize that it is YOUR WEDDING and you have the right to plan it as YOU see fit.

If they continue to make their snide remarks, you can always politely tell them that while you appreciate their opinion, that it is your wedding, and that the only people who need to be happy with the organization of it are you and FI.

sorry you have to listen to that, but does the relative understand that they do not have to come. You do not want people there that will complain the whole time & try to put a damper on your wedding experience. Like someone mentioned, when they understand that your plans are not going to change, then they can get with the program and make plans to come or stay behind. Everyone has to make the decision that is best for them and understand that the wedding will still go on.

Tell her tostfu.gif jk :)

We dealt with the same thing with FI's sister....but eventually it died down. Im so sorry though you are dealing with the negativity. Hopefully she will just get over it and enjoy herself buy the time your wedding comes in Dec. Sorry i dont have too much good advice and i know its easier said than done but try not to let her get you down. Your wedding will be AMAZING!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malisa View Post
I'm sorry you're going through this. My MIL was this way. Luckily my FIL had her on valuum the entire trip. She had a blast and was quite entertaining.
hahaha....I'm sorry. I got quite a little giggle out of this comment. The idea of putting my mil on valium and watching her go just makes me smile a bit.