buy house and plan wedding?

We bought a house (well built one) , a new car and got engaged all within 2 months and it was a little crazy! We decided to wait a year and a half before planning our wedding and Im very happy we did because I have so much more time for planning it and enjoying planning it now. Personally buying a house was the most stressful thing I have ever done and it would have taken the fun out of wedding planning. That is my opinion anyway, but I think it depends on your situation...if you think you can do it, I say go for it :)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We put in a bid on our house in Dec, were married in Feb, and the house closed in May. I had moved in with him a year before we were married and were able to put my income aside for our wedding fund. He's always been a big saver and we had enough left over for our down payment and the required fix up projects - but his old house hasn't sold yet and we are now paying two mortgages. We are ok, but certainly holding our breaths hoping that we don't have any huge surprise expenses.

Wow! I'll give you ladies credit. We moved into our new home in March '08 and sold our old home in April '08. Everyone kept joking that it would be the ideal time to get engaged. I actually threatened my DH that if he did that (after waiting 12 years) I would kill him. wink.gif

What I didn't know was he was working on purchasing my engagement ring around the time of the settlements - it was a custom ring that took several months. We got engaged in Sept '08. I was so glad we did not do everything at once.

But, as indicated, it is a very personal decision - you have to decide what you and your FI can handle - emotionally, mentally, physically and financially.

We decided to push our home search back until after our wedding. We were going to look for a house & get married but due to our budget, we decided to wait a few months after our wedding to purchase a home. We got married in July & will start looking for a home in a couple of months so that we could space things out. We are making it work right now in our 1 bedroom apartment but I will be glad when we move.

I'm in the same situation...

We actually closed on our house (it's a new build, so won't be ready until right after the wedding next year) the same week as we booked our wedding trip... talk about STRESS!

I was trying to fax papers here and there while trying to get people to RSVP and put down their deposits at the same time.

I even had a little breakdown one day as I was driving to the sales office to give them our down payment cheques...

Since we have 8 months to save, the closing costs and wedding costs - it's going to be a TIGHT year financially... but you gotta do what you gotta do!

All the best to you!

• 2 weeks later...
Quote:
Originally Posted by blckrevpower View Post
Hey guys,
i just wanted to know if anyone planned their wedding AND bought a house in the same time frame. Our wedding is next year, but we've been looking at houses. We found one, and it's great.
My fiance says we should push the wedding back and focus on the house. I say we should just continue with wedding, but on a smaller scale.
What should be do?
My fiance is concerned because we need to put down a deposit on the resort and provide $ for a down payment on the house in the same time frame. The house doesn't need a lot of work, but we do want to work on small cosmetic things, one at a time.
Are we taking on too much? Should we wait another year to get married?
I did not buy a house, but we are in the process of doing some major home renovations and this has been a real struggle for us. We had to postpone our wedding until Jul 2010 even though we were engaged in Feb. 2009 just to finish everything up. I didn't mind postponing a bit, but I can understand your concern. Ultimately its a very personal decision, but once you make one, you should stick with it. We hit a rocky patch a couple of times when I would spaz out about putting money into the house before we were married, but ultimately, both are very important to me. Would you and FI consider just going to JP for now, having the destination wedding as planned for the future date?

Me and my FH's ambitions are: wedding, home, car, and business. Personally, I am the type to go "jack-of-all-trades style" and try to do it all. At the moment, that is what we are doing and we're okay with that so far; nothing is orgasmic, but nothing is completely run down either. As everyone has said, it is a very personal decision and there is no generic right or wrong answer. Just do what you and your FH are comfortable with.

• 1 month later...

I don't know what to do either. We had talked about a house but recently decided that with the way the market is going, we could build. So our wedding is in May 2010 and we could possibly have a house built by May as well. The only thing is that I currently own a condo and they are changing management companies by Dec 2009. If I sell, I want to sell prior to that, but then I have to think about where to live and christmas is also coming up and it'll be a busy year end at work and tax season. I'm want to go forward with the house, but I'm a chicken. I don't know where to go for advice on selling and then building...all while planning a DW!