Photo

"exercise does not contribute to weight loss"

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 MissBlade

MissBlade
  • 70 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 11:23 AM

Has anyone read this article in People Magazine? INTERESTING! It actually makes total sense. Exercise is great for so many reasons and no one is denying that. (I exercise at least 4-5 days/week.) Think about it though, when you are exercising, you give yourself the "okay" to eat a little more. I've been an athlete my entire life but weight loss has only been acheived when I dramatically changed my eating habits and cut calories.
    I just thought it was worth sharing as so many of us are trying to look our best for the big day!!!

#2 Outdoor_girl1010

Outdoor_girl1010
    • 657 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 11:41 AM

Your right that exercise won't doing anything if you aren't eating right, but if you are eating right and exercising you will see a bigger lose this way.
      Cory & Jennifer
      March 13, 2010Punta Cana D.R.!!http://i150.photobuc....3/IMG_6740.jpg

#3 ~*Kathy*~

~*Kathy*~
      • 5,649 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 11:41 AM

Interesting theory. I lost 20 lbs last year and I truly don't believe that it was solely because of what I was eating. I put in a ton of time and effort at the gym and I think that doing so, in conjunction with eating better, helped me lose that weight. That's just my opinion though.

#4 ~*Kathy*~

~*Kathy*~
        • 5,649 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 11:42 AM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by Outdoor_girl1010
          Your right that exercise won't doing anything if you aren't eating right, but if you are eating right and exercising you will see a bigger lose this way.
          I totally agree, this is basically what I was trying to say. :)

#5 MissBlade

MissBlade
          • 70 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 11:46 AM

IDK...I'm no expert but I thought it was intereting. It's amazing how a new study comes out every week regarding weight loss and if you listen to them all you will end up very confused!
            I've personally put an end to dieting and just try to live healthfully and do what makes sense to my body. Excerise is definitely a part of my life but on the other hand, if there is a day (or two) that I don't feel like going, I don't! It is all about balance in the end.

#6 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
            • 18,759 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 12:03 PM

I think they are referring to a recent study showing that people often eat as many extra calories as the burned working out because they worked out. so overall, no weight loss. but, those who are successful losing weight combining exercise & diet don't do this.

I saw it a lot working at a gym. Someone would come in & do a 30 minute workout & then buy a protein bar on the way out. Those things are about 300 calories & they probably burned less working out.

#7 The Mandy in Chandy

The Mandy in Chandy
              • 307 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 12:15 PM

That's not to say you can't lose weight without exercising, but really- unless you are a major athlete (and thus putting a lot of time into it)- exercise doesn't burn all that much for the effort you put into it.

#8 ~*Kathy*~

~*Kathy*~
                • 5,649 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 12:20 PM

That's true, however, building muscle from lifting weights will help you lose weight. The more muscle you have, the more effectively your body burns calories at rest, which is important.

#9 The Mandy in Chandy

The Mandy in Chandy
                  • 307 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 12:26 PM

Also true, which helps with maintenance. I mean who wants to be at goal weight and having to eat 900 cals to maintain because their metabolisms aren't up to par because of lost muscle mass, right?

#10 Outdoor_girl1010

Outdoor_girl1010
                    • 657 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 12:32 PM

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by MissBlade
                      IDK...I'm no expert but I thought it was intereting. It's amazing how a new study comes out every week regarding weight loss and if you listen to them all you will end up very confused!
                      I've personally put an end to dieting and just try to live healthfully and do what makes sense to my body. Excerise is definitely a part of my life but on the other hand, if there is a day (or two) that I don't feel like going, I don't! It is all about balance in the end.
                      I am like you for the most part I don't really diet. I just eat healthier and work out a little. And like you said if I dont feel like going I don't. The thing with the gym is, it will help you more if you are dieting and not just going to the gym and stil not eating right. If you are just eating healthy and are happy with the weight you are at, then the gym will tone you up and help maintain that weight.
                      Cory & Jennifer
                      March 13, 2010Punta Cana D.R.!!http://i150.photobuc....3/IMG_6740.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users