Sign in to follow this  
JaimeLynne

Need help picking a location, leaning towards Dreams

Jaime-

I know I'm chiming in kinda late here, but thought I could maybe help out. I am a Dreams Cancun bride, and have actually been there. We went last October on vacation, and are getting married there this October. The gazebo location is gorgeous. It sort of juts out toward the ocean with a cliffy area on three sides. I thought the rooms were great. We stayed in a standard deluxe room in the pyramid building and were really impressed. Very clean, relaxing and tranquil environment, comfortable canopy bed, big marble bathroom, nice private deck, slippers and a robe, table and chairs for room service dining.... If your guests are really into their rooms, the Tower building as some plush suites (jacuzzis, seperate bedrooms, full dining rooms, etc. )

We were actually looking to go to Playa del Carmen, but "settled" on Cancun. I too remembered Cancun as a spring break haven, and definitely was looking for more of a romantic getaway. Anyway, Dreams is situated at the point known as "Punta Cancun". It is not on the downtown strip or in the hotel zone. We were there in October, and the area was very relaxing and quiet unless you ventured out more towards the club area. The hotel "next door" is the very posh Fiesta American Coral Reef (Coral something or other)...anyway it is very swanky and not an AI..not exactly a haven for partiers. The hotel on the other side was still being rebuilt from Hurricane Wilma, but also 5 star, and you actually can't even really see it as I recall. I thought the location was fab. The only hotel right on the point so it is surrounded on three sides by water. If you are not planning on marrying during spring break time (and even if you were), I definitely don't think Dreams attracts that sort of crowd.

We are so glad we ended up chosing Cancun as opposed to Playa del Carmen or RM because it is so easy to get to. Especially if guests are coming for just a long weekend...many major airports have direct flights to Cancun, and then it's just a short ride (maybe 10-15 minutes) to the resort. We left Chicago at 9am and were on the beach by 1pm.

The spa is also very impresive...with awesome outdoor cabanas, and a private sun bathing area.

Let's see...what else... great for kids and couples. They have a kids' club for your younger guests. They basically entertain them all day so the adults can relax. They even had movies on the beach and "camping" night while we were there...so kids were even busy while mom and dad had dinner.

I thought the size of the resort was perfect (about 400 rooms). By no means a mega-resort that you need a map to find your way around...but big enought that you don't have to all be on top of each other (if you don't want).

I can't really say what the weather is like in the summer. We had PERFECT weather while we were there in Oct. (sunny and about 85-90) and the ocean was like bath water.

Well if you can't tell...I was a big fan. My hesitant parents went to check it out when we decided on a DW there, and they loved it as well.

Shoot me a PM if you have any questions. I'd be happy to help as much as I can!

susan, hearing your description of dreams makes me so happy with my decision. I too was worried about the whole spring break atmosphere of cancun, but now I'm so happy we chose to go there. I think anywhere you there are going to be resorts that have a big party atmosphere, I certainly don't think dreams is somewhere the springbreakers would be staying and if you weren't going during that time of year I don't even think it would be a big concern.

I wish october would come quicker!