DIY Invitation - non BP/Passport

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

• 267 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:58 AM

Just wondering if anyone could help me out with my DIY invitation project. I love these invitations (http://www.tangodesi....Shell_blue.jpg), but can NOT afford them. So I thought I'd put my "crafty" side to work. I'm already finding myself at a stand still though because I can't seem to find the right materials! Any suggestions as to where to I buy or order the materials?

#2 nmoreau

• 80 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:09 PM

Do have a craft store around?
      You buy the basic paper and then there is a macine your run it thru that makes it crinkle like that.
      The top part looks like velum and you can just run that thru the printer.
      Most craft store will have the decals you can attached and the raffia string that they made the tie with.

Hobby Lobby
      Most Fabric Stores
      Wal-Mart & Target sometimes have that kind of stuff in their flower and fabric area.

Stampin' Up will have all those products but will cost a little more.

Good luck, they are neat invites.

#3 KPEG

• 267 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:13 PM

There's a machine that corrugates the paper?? Gosh, I am not crafty at all! lol. What's this gadget called?

And yes, the top sheet is vellum but I've read that you can only print on it using a lazer printer (which I don't have).

Thanks for the suggestions!

#4 nmoreau

• 80 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:19 PM

Do you have Archivers there? They have work areas in that store that may let you borrow the machine? I think it is just called a paper crimper.

Also I would bet Kinkos or some printing store would print the vellum for you pretty reasonably. I haven't tried printing on it.

My friends are all huge stampers and scrapebookers so I learn from them.

This is stamping up website and you can search in the tools section for all the gadgets.

#5 KPEG

• 267 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:48 PM

Unfortunately, we don't have Archivers in Canada. I'll try Michaels to see if they have one. Thanks!!

You know, I was in Minneapolis this past weekend and was in Archivers but was so overwhelmed and hadn't decided on an invitation style before today. Shoot!

#6 becks

• VIP Member
            • 4,881 posts
            • Wedding Date:August 9, 2008
            • Wedding Location:Riviera Maya
            • LocationNew York

Posted 05 August 2009 - 01:52 PM

You can find the background paper by googling "corrugated cardstock" - it's not too hard to find. Velum paper is pretty easy to work with - just be sure to get paper that works with your printer - ink jet velum is different than laser velum. And if you do laser, set the printer to a glossy paper finish, and you're set!

Good luck!

Happily married since 2008

Allurements by Rebecca - Destination Wedding Invitations and more

#7 MissM

• 184 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 06:27 PM

Ooohhh I love this invitation! Looks like it wouldn't be too hard to make. You can buy corrugated paper so you don't have to do it yourself. Have fun!

#8 Bali83

• 221 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 06:33 PM

Good luck on your diy...they are very pretty & you'll be so proud of yourself when you're finished :)

#9 Sue

• 86 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 11:10 PM

very pretty - if you dont wont the bulky shell - you could always use a starfish or shell punch on the vellum and the bottom blue color will show through

#10 JaimeandBrandon

• 370 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 02:15 AM

I love it! Good luck... be sure to post some pics when you're done!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users