How to Encourage Guests to Book at Host Hotel?

Hello everyone. We have worked out a great AI deal at an amazing resort. The resort is not all AI and is very special. We will be charged a very high per person rate for people not staying at the host hotel and not paying AI.

We have worked out a deal which we beleive should be VERY attractive to our guests. We have also scheduled a lot of events on property so to encourage people to stay and book the AI and not have to worry about cabs and stuff.

However, does anyone have any suggestions on how to really really encourage people to do this? While other hotels may be cheaper in the area...the one we are at is a million times nicer, and based on the amount that our group drinks makes it a cheaper option for them. They should figure this out on their own but how can I make sure they do?

ssleenyc, Good luck with this one. I'm on the same boat as you. I have gone out of my way to encourage all of our guest to stay at our resort. Specifically the drinkers. I've explained to ALL of them what the AI resort offers, and how ALL ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES ARE INCLUDED! Also, explained how all food including room service is included! I've sold some, and also haven't been able to persuade others. There really isn't much you can do, other than just inform them of what your AI resort offers and cross your fingers and hope for the best that they will stay at your Resort. I actually have gotten really fed up and tired of all the FAMILY (if you can belive that) calling us, complaining on how expensive the resort is.. I did give all the guest ample time to plan for this trip. 1 year and 1 month to plan and save to be exact. I'm now at the point where I don't answer family calls anymore... I've sent everyone emails on all updates.. Even down to sending emails on what the price difference is on what i've been able to find on the internet versus the good deal our travel agent has provided for us... It hurt my feelings to hear people complain! Like it's our fault or something. To have piece of mind for myself, I just tell my self that i'm just glad they are willing to pay to come to our wedding in another country, even if it is staying at another Resort/hotel.

Good luck on this one, and keep your chin up.. And you are totally not the only one.

On our wed-site, I only listed the host hotel and told my TA to encourage and promote the host hotel to our guests. We are also not paying the entry fee for people if they do decide to stay somewhere else. I included an excerpt from our site below. Good luck!!

There are other places to stay in Puerto Vallarta, but just be aware that you can only enter the Dreams property if you are staying there or pay a $70 per day guest fee. We will spend most of our time at the resort pool, bars, and restaurants to maximize the time with our guests.

I only listed information on our AI resort, and on the STD card I referred people to our website for details.... on the website I simply added a statement under the resort information that said something like "Because this is an all-inclusive resort and all of the wedding activities will take place at this resort, guests wishing to attend the festivities must be guests of this resort as well." No one has had anything negative to say about it yet, and the 20 that have booked have all said the resort looks great on the internet and they're excited to go there.

Is it wise to not say anything about the resort day pass and risk a guest booking somewhere else and then being surprised at the resort on the day of your wedding? I know some of my potential guests will be looking for the cheapest option possible which may not necessarily be my resort. I could just not mention other options, but then I feel I would run the risk of a guest being put out $100+ by not giving them full information. It is not in my budget to cover these day passes and I don't think it is right, considering I would not have put money towards anyone's cost to stay at the resort where the wedding is hosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSNM View Post
Is it wise to not say anything about the resort day pass and risk a guest booking somewhere else and then being surprised at the resort on the day of your wedding? I know some of my potential guests will be looking for the cheapest option possible which may not necessarily be my resort. I could just not mention other options, but then I feel I would run the risk of a guest being put out $100+ by not giving them full information. It is not in my budget to cover these day passes and I don't think it is right, considering I would not have put money towards anyone's cost to stay at the resort where the wedding is hosted.
That is the same thing I am thinking! In my travel information brochure, I put information about the resort. I also put this,

"Of course, you can stay at another resort or a hotel but will need to purchase a day pass to access the resort for the wedding celebrations. More info to come. "

Is that a good idea? I have not sent them off yet. I want them to stay at the resort and I'm feeling guilty for wanting them to stay at The Royal/Gran. That is why I picked The Royal/Gran because Gran is cheaper and they can come to my wedding at The Royal. I am not paying for any day passes, that's for sure.

I actually had alternative resorts on my website but I took them off. I only want the guests to stay at my resort. I know that its a lot of money but my guests are really being pampered at Moon Dance Resorts. I really want them to experience that. I certainly won't be paying for a guest pass for any guests. I think it is best to just tell them what resort all the activities will be at, and then just refer them to the travel agent.

I have done the same thing as some of you I have mentioned that we have worked really hard to find a fabulous resort at a great price but if you choose to stay somewhere else be aware that there is a fee fee that will be charge to be on the resort property the day of the wedding. I put something similar on our invites and on our website. Hopefully most will stay at the our Resort.

I am so nervous too... I just got off the phone with the travel agent and she said it would be around $1000 for 3 nights with airfare at my AI. I know my FI's family can afford that but my large extended family is going to have a problem... :-p

I was contemplating paying for guest passes for the people I REALLY want to come but cannot afford to pay for my resort, or getting a condo for people who cannot afford to stay in the resort and then having them pay the guest pass. I don't know!!! aghh!!!! Are you really not paying for the guest passes?

I wouldn't. It just doesn't seem fair pay for the day pass for some people who already chose a cheaper resort and then the people who stayed at the resort for the higher fee don't get a break. If I paid for one person's stay for the wedding day I would feel obligated to pay for everyone's day stay which really isn't practical unless you have a huge budget to work with.