Jamaican getting married in Jamaica..Do I need a TA?

Depends on where your having the wedding. At an expensive AI it might be helpful, because your guests can put down a deposit then pay in installments. Otherwise, I say don't bother. I am in a similar situation, and I included a TA's info in my invites, but only 1 person out of 60+ has contacted her so far. It wasn't worth it going through the hassel to find one. I am having my wedding at a small hotel owned by a relative, so we didn't need to do deposits.

Hope this help wink.gif

Thanks so much for replying Carla! I was feeling ignored for a minute. Yes the place I'm considering is a large AI so I'll go ahead source an agent...something tells me they still won't use him/her. Stubburn Jamaicans! lol

Do you mind if I ask where your having your's ...I'm still not decided on the location and I have until Oct find my definite spot.

Our Past Time Villas in Negril. It is a small hotel, 17 rooms (10 ocean view/7 garden), on the beach, right between Sandals Negril and Beaches Sandy Bay. It is not AI. It's basic, but cute, clean, and very affordable. It is owned by a cousin of my Mom. That's not the only reason why I'm having it there though...I actually wanted an AI, but they were charging way to much for day passes and very few hotels wanted to do a New Year's Eve wedding. With so many of my guests living in JA or planning to stay with family, I couldn't afford to pay for day passes for everyone.

The manager has been great to work with, and is getting me local prices for everything, so it's saving me lots of $$$$.

BTW, I read in another thread you were considering Grand Palladium. I stayed there in Feb, and the resort was fab, however the beach in Lucea is not that great (a bit rocky). My mom loved the resort, but said she wouldn't go back b/c of the beach. This is coming from a born and raised JA.

If your interested, here is the website for OPT Our Past Time Villas - Negril Beach - Norman Manley Boulevard, Negril P.O. 45, Negril, Westmoreland, Jamaica W.I. - (876) 957-5422, Fax: (876) 957-5105, info@ourpasttimenegril.com - http://www.ourpasttimenegril.com

The manager's name is Hazel.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the heads up. Yeah the guest passes are a killer because I'm sure most of my out of town guests will stay with family and the others are local sad.gif

Grand Palladium is giving me a great rate with an event pass so I can avoid the guest pass thing but if the beach is no good I may have to reconsider. My mom, daughter and sisters just went down today for a month so I have them going by to check it but I'm going to have them look at Our Past Time Villas. Thanks again for help...I appreciate it more than you know!

I would not suggest a travel agent it is money youycannuse to do other things. You have family on the island let them source a villa which is affordable and can room a good number and is AI. Source a wedding planner that works well with the hotels etc and is very familiar with Jamaica and spend your money there.