Sign in to follow this  
Sheeoni

Arranging travel TO the cruise port

I am still fairly newbish when it comes to figuring out good key words to search for, so I didn't find any threads about this yet. I am in a slightly different position than many of you may be as I'm being married as a landlubber but doing a cruise to celebrate ... sorta like a family/friend vacation the day after the wedding so people have more reason to come to TX for the wedding.

As such, I will be needing to transport for whichever friends/family members decide to go. I was thinking about getting a charter bus depending on how many people there were. Has anyone done something like this? Are there more things I need to consider that I'm not just yet? I figure the morning after the wedding, we can all gather at one of the hotels and hop the bus down to Galveston... and on the way back, the bus can drop us off somewhere. Maybe we should arrange it from the Austin Airport? Anyone have insights or experience with a situation similar to this? Any thoughts are appreciated, thank you.

you could do that. another thing to look into is that a lot of the cruises offer shuttle bus pick-ups at the hotels people are staying at...if I remember correctly it is complimentary or low cost. You might want to call your cruiseline and find out.

I hired a bus from our hotel in Miami to the port, then since people are going to different places after the wedding I'm not doing transportation back but it is close to port so people can get cabs without a problem.

Thanks for the replies. I guess the problem really is the distance from Austin to Galveston. Nobody will be in a hotel even close to the cruise port so we will have to leave the morning of the cruise and travel down there. I'm sure I can figure something out with a charter bus or similar =)

I have hired a couple of vans to come get my guests from our hotel in LA and take us to the cruise ports. We are all arriving on Saturday afternoon , having a nice dinner together Saturday night and then leaving on Sunday on our cruise! I think it's a nice gesture if you can afford to do it.

Oh I am so interested in your responses. We are also considering doing a charter bus to get our guests from Charleston to Jacksonville (about a 4 hour drive). We still have some time, but we will probably start calling charter bus companies this fall and get prices. We have a lot of guests going so hopefully we can work something out. I will keep you updated as I find out any more information. Good luck making your arrangements!