Photo

Question for anyone doing the legal part at home

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#51 DRod0214

DRod0214
  • 173 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 05:17 PM

we are doing one at our church for the immediate family that cannot attend. Decided last minute so that no one would try to not attend. I am only doing it back home for my grandmother who is very old and can't come.
    Diane

#52 SusieQ

SusieQ
    • 1,603 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 06:41 PM

We are getting married here first, I found a person online that will come to your house,coffee shop, name the place and time. We have arranged to do a dinner here at home with a couple that can not make it do to they have a disable child.
      We will not tell any of our guest, not even my FI's mom.
      It'll be a secret... We are planning to get married the weekend before we leave. Try looking online for non denominational marraiges.

#53 hollym

hollym
      • 62 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 09:10 PM

My fiance works at a law firm and knows someone who can legally marry us so we're doing it over a fancy dinner with two witnesses before our DW. I didn't like the idea of doing it at the ugly courthouse so this is perfect for us.
        mattandhollytietheknot.com

#54 lily17bear

lily17bear
        • 217 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 08:44 PM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by SusieQ
          We are getting married here first, I found a person online that will come to your house,coffee shop, name the place and time. We have arranged to do a dinner here at home with a couple that can not make it do to they have a disable child.
          We will not tell any of our guest, not even my FI's mom.
          It'll be a secret... We are planning to get married the weekend before we leave. Try looking online for non denominational marraiges.
          I like your idea. I'm not too fond of the courthouse thing, but couldn't figure any other way to do it. What sites did you look through, if you don't mind?

#55 GracieBebe

GracieBebe
          • 354 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:29 PM

We already had our symbolic ceremony in Sept. Now we plan to get the paper work done and since we will be in Hawaii in Dec, we are going to try to get the paperwork done while we are there. So I guess, in a way, (if everything works out), we'll end up having 2 destination weddings, LOL!
            - Grace
            Location - Chateau de Challain, Challain la Potherie, France
            Engagement Date - Sept. 6, 2008
            Wedding Date - Sept. 9, 2009
            Our Pro wedding photo website:http://fanelliweddin....l&startIndex=0Our wedding planning website:http://www.mywedding...graceandmichael

#56 echo2_62

echo2_62
            • 1,049 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:32 PM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by hollym
              My fiance works at a law firm and knows someone who can legally marry us so we're doing it over a fancy dinner with two witnesses before our DW. I didn't like the idea of doing it at the ugly courthouse so this is perfect for us.
              That's great that your FI knows someone who can do the legal part for you! I wish we had that option here :)

I've barely even thought about this part to be honest! I know it's something that needs to be done but I like all the fun part of planning the rest of our wedding!

#57 nicitica

nicitica
              • 186 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:49 PM

Same here. We're going to City Hall in Chicago and not mentioning it to the guests. I dont want to wait until the AHR to make it legal, but I do think that's also a great idea.
                Akumal, Mexico 05.29.10

#58 echo2_62

echo2_62
                • 1,049 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:06 PM

We don't even have the option of going to city hall or the court house to get married here! It has to be either a religious clergy or a certified marriage commisioner here in Alberta. And we're not having an AHR so that's not an option for us as well!

However we're still not planning to tell our guests because we don't want them to feel ripped off. Plus we are probably doing it after the wedding anyways. Haha, although I did already let slip to my sister that it wasn't our legal ceremony we're doing in mexico, but thankfully she's probably the first person I'd call as a witness anyways so no big deal!

#59 ~Crista-Lee~

~Crista-Lee~
                  • 329 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 10:01 PM

I'm so happy to know that I'm not alone with my thinking. Something about blood tests and xrays in Mexico freaked me out. I also have a grandmother that's pretty upset about our choice to do a DW. Obviously I love my Gran to death and I want her at my wedding, but there is no way she'll go. You've all given me a great idea with doing a private ceremony and only inviting my Gran and parents.

#60 lydiag

lydiag
                    • 28 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 01:27 PM

we are doing our legal ceremony at home a couple of days prior to our departure for our destination wedding.

We were only going to invite the immediate family but my mom pulled a guilt trip on me and insisted i invite extended family as well - to the church and to the after-wedding celebration at our house with appies and cake.

I didn't want to do this because I wanted our wedding to be the "destination wedding" and of course I should have stuck with my gut instinct because now i'm getting people asking me why, if we are getting married here and having an intimate gathering after did they have to book the destination wedding - almost sounding annoyed.

Did anyone else have this problem or is it just me - how do i handle their nasty remarks which are making me feel like going to Mexico (getting married in Cabo) is the worst thing that could have happened to them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users