Photo

Costa Rican legal requirements

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 SSNM

SSNM
  • 675 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 07:18 PM

Does anyone know if you need a birth certificate to marry in Costa Rica? My FH has lost his and I would really like to have a legally binding ceremony abroad (doing the city hall thing locally is an absolute last resort for me). Most websites where I read up on legal requirements never say that you need a birth certificate although one resort I came across listed it as a requirement.

#2 marisa8161

marisa8161
    • 7 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 02:48 PM

I am getting married on November, and just finished emailing our lawyer all of the required documents. We were told you need:
      1) color copy of birth certificate - my fiancee lost his also and we had to get a copy from the State of Maine (we live in NY) relatively easy, filled out a form and paid like $15. It came in the mail about 2 weeks later
      2) passport - valid for at least 6 months after the wedding date
      3) a document stating neither of you have been/or are currently married - we had to go to City Hall and get an "application for license to marry outisde of the US" - or something. That was the only thing that stated we weren't previously married. This was easy but a little annoying, had to go to 2 other offices to get it notarized, etc ...

Hope this helps!

#3 SSNM

SSNM
      • 675 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 11:23 PM

Geez, sounds like there is no way around it...my FH is from bangladesh and so getting his may be a bit of a challenge...I hope he can get his hands on it!

#4 fernando

fernando
        • 6 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 07:26 PM

the most experienced wedding officiant in the country is Marcelo Galli Esq.
          do a web search for him (i don't know that it's cool to plug people's direct websites here).

if you have him do the wedding he'll get around the birth certificate requirements.

#5 Steve&Julia

Steve&Julia
          • 113 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 03:16 PM

HI quick question,

Do we need a lawyer to get married? I have my bc as does my FH our passports but I guess we'll have to get something from city hall we haven't been married in the past but who do we submit this too? and how early before the wedding?

I am a little concerned cause this is the first i'm hearing of this. the DWC hasn't mentioned anything to me. well she also hasen't emailed me back either but i guess thats a different story.
            Jewels

#6 SSNM

SSNM
            • 675 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 05:13 PM

I believe it is a lawyer that performs the civil ceremonies in Costa Rica, or at least makes them legally binding. The requirements are relatively simple and you should have no problem if you have your birth certificate and a passport. They will probably want to know things like your occupations but nothing involved like a blood test. The declaration of being single is new to me for Costa Rica and may just be the above person's specific resort/hotel requiring it.

#7 Steve&Julia

Steve&Julia
              • 113 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:01 AM

Does anyone know the lawyer fee?
                Jewels

#8 SSNM

SSNM
                • 675 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 01:35 AM

Could be as low as $450 or as high as $800+. I got quotes for both. It depends on who you go with.

#9 SillyGirl

SillyGirl
                  • 155 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 01:47 PM

I was just going to ask that, thanks for the info

#10 marisa8161

marisa8161
                    • 7 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:17 PM

I also was quoted ~ $350 and up for a local Spanish speaking lawyer ...and up to ~ $800 for an English speaking lawyer to travel from San Jose.

The declaration of our single status was required specifically from the lawyer, who is independent from the hotel. He said it is required for the marriage to be legally recognized in the US ... for what its worth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users