Sign in to follow this  
kenlyn8984

Symbolic Ceremony?

I was wondering if any of you are legally getting married in the US and then just having symbolic wedding in cabo? I'm thinking it would be way easier to do and not have to worry about getting to mexico 4 business days prior to the wedding, and blood tests and all the crazy stuff they require there for a legal wedding...

any advice is much appreciated! :))

My FI and I will be legally getting married in Canada before we head down to Cabo for our wedding. We didn't want to go through the hassle of getting the blood tests, being there 4 days early, etc..

My fiance and I are doing the same thing. It just seemed like too much red tape to have a legal wedding in Mexico. We are going to have it done legally in Los Angeles before heading to Cabo.

We are getting legally married up return to the US, this way it will feel more like filling out paperwork and then the first time we say vows to one another it will be in Mexico.

We are getting legally married here first then having the church wedding in Mexico. It seems most girls do the legal ceremony at home so its easier! Also then you get 2 weddings!

My FI and I are going to legally get married here in the States and are then having a symbolic wedding in Cabo. I think all us brides know how much planning destination weddings entail and adding blood tests, xrays, extra $200 charges just seems like a nightmare.

I agree. My FI and I are just going to do the symbolic ceremony in Mexico and get married legally in Canada when we get back. I can't be bothered with all that extra stuff a legal ceremony entails in Mexico :)

Just to offer another perspective - we got married legally in Cabo and it was not a lot of extra work. The hotel provided all the paperwork to fill out and I emailed everything to them in advance so I wouldn't forget anything. The doctor came to our room to take the blood tests. We always planned to go down early so that didn't matter and we did both a legal and symbolic ceremony in Mexico so we could personalize it.

I don't think it's a lot of extra work, I think the main issues are cost and getting there early. Those are obviously big deals. Just don't let the red tape scare you away if you want it because that part isn't bad - we wouldn't have done it any other way!

We're doing the same here in Texas, as well. It definitely seems way less hassle. My friend, whose getting married in the Domincan in September, said they told her it would be month before she got her marriage license, if they did the legal wedding there. That's way too long for me!

I'm doing the same as Erika. We are getting married when we return from Cabo. We didn't want to exchange vows here in the US and then have it take away from our actual wedding date.

I can't wait to walk down the aisle and see my FI.

Jess