Jump to content

Photo

Island Time


  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 hockeymom97

hockeymom97
  • Sr. Member
  • 2,458 posts

    Posted 25 July 2009 - 11:26 AM

    I thought this was kind of funny and thought I would share :) So I had contacted Rick's Cafe in Negril through their web site almost a month ago, July 4th to be exact. I wanted to get information regarding what they offer as far as group rates, etc, as we were thinking about having our rehearsal dinner there the night before the ceremony. Well I FINALLY received a reply yesterday - 20 days later!! It had been so long I kind of forgot that I had even sent them the email. I'm not upset - I know things move slower down there, but WOW! That's what I call being on Island Time!!
    Heather & Eric ~ May 5th, 2011 ~ Beaches Turks & Caicos

    #2 *Karla*

    *Karla*
    • Sr. Member
    • 4,854 posts

      Posted 25 July 2009 - 11:13 PM

      That's pretty much how people in Jamaica are. Frustrating, and you never get used to it. Hope you find a good place for your Rehearsal Dinner.

      #3 Perplexy

      Perplexy
      • Jr. Member
      • 207 posts

        Posted 27 July 2009 - 01:05 PM

        It's sometimes frustrating to us from North America, where everything is GO GO GO GO GO GO!

        But in the islands, 20 days is proabably a record time! (Ha ha ha) when it's something as pleasurable as a rehersal dinner (or anything, for that matter) we should all just take it in stride! Wouldn't it be nice if we all could react like them??

        Good on you for asking so far in advance!
        http://tickers.Ticke....4a37/event.png


        ~Stay positive and love your life!~

        #4 Hoosierfan

        Hoosierfan
        • Jr. Member
        • 341 posts

          Posted 27 July 2009 - 01:07 PM

          "Island time" is something I'm going to put in our welcome brochure (and emphasize) for our guests when they arrive in Mexico. It's a good reminder that vacation is for relaxing - several of our guests have never been outside the US, so it will be an adjustment from what they are used to!
          http://www.whenismyw....a87ad6d9f7.gif Wedding Ticker from WhenIsMyWedding.com

          #5 ~*Lisa*~

          ~*Lisa*~
          • Sr. Member
          • 2,287 posts

            Posted 27 July 2009 - 01:23 PM

            that's cute hockeymom! I actually didn't find Jamaica bad when I went. But MEXICO, man, it took us 1 hour just to check into the hotel. I was so frustrated because it was hot, we'd been travelling, blah blah. Once you realize what island time is, it's all good MAN!!

            #6 hockeymom97

            hockeymom97
            • Sr. Member
            • 2,458 posts

              Posted 27 July 2009 - 06:48 PM

              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Perplexy
              But in the islands, 20 days is proabably a record time! (Ha ha ha) when it's something as pleasurable as a rehersal dinner (or anything, for that matter) we should all just take it in stride! Wouldn't it be nice if we all could react like them??
              I agree - I wish we could react more like them instead of being SO freakin rushed all the time! But I can just imagine if I took 20 days to get back to some of my clients at work - I think I'd be fired for sure. I have clients that are so demanding that if they don't hear back from me within an hour, they're calling my call phone. Geez!!


              Quote:
              Originally Posted by lisaloo79
              that's cute hockeymom! I actually didn't find Jamaica bad when I went. But MEXICO, man, it took us 1 hour just to check into the hotel. I was so frustrated because it was hot, we'd been travelling, blah blah. Once you realize what island time is, it's all good MAN!!
              Believe me, I'm ALL about island time when I'm on vacation. I turn my blackberry off and there is NO schedule - except for my wedding day in this case, lol - we need at least a little bit of a schedule for that one day!

              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Hoosierfan
              "Island time" is something I'm going to put in our welcome brochure (and emphasize) for our guests when they arrive in Mexico. It's a good reminder that vacation is for relaxing - several of our guests have never been outside the US, so it will be an adjustment from what they are used to!
              That's probably a good idea. I also have relatives possibly attending that are not big travelers and would not be accustomed to this.
              Heather & Eric ~ May 5th, 2011 ~ Beaches Turks & Caicos

              #7 Perplexy

              Perplexy
              • Jr. Member
              • 207 posts

                Posted 29 July 2009 - 09:17 AM

                Island time: Should be the theme for everyone's DW.

                If it doesn't happen at that very moment, it'll happen eventually!
                http://tickers.Ticke....4a37/event.png


                ~Stay positive and love your life!~

                #8 drucky14

                drucky14
                • Newbie
                • 39 posts

                  Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:29 AM

                  I agree with the island time. About 3 weeks ago I emailed the WC and I still have yet to hear back from her. But since our wedding isn't until next June, there is no real hurry.

                  As for when we get there, you're all absolutely correct. It's vacation time and there is no hurry for anything.

                  #9 QueenDiva

                  QueenDiva
                  • Member
                  • 521 posts

                    Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:14 PM

                    Three weeks ago I emailed the Rockhouse Hotel in Jamaica to reserve a villa for this September... still no response

                    #10 SSNM

                    SSNM
                    • Member
                    • 675 posts

                      Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:12 AM

                      lol, I am adjusting to the island time thing myself. I my wedding isn't until summer 2010 so I guess I just feel I have time. I'll send my questions and I no longer feel the need to send fifty more to get a response. Also, I am realizing how busy these WC's must be -- they seem thoroughly overworked. No point in me harrassing them especially when I am not even sure if I will end up choosing their resort.




                      0 user(s) are reading this topic

                      0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users