Help! Anyone have any experience with private vs public school as a teacher?

SDSteph

I know this has nothing to do with destination weddings but has to do with my sanity. I am faced with a tough decision to choose beetween two schools to teach. On is private and one is public. They both offer so many advantages and disadvantages. I am really torn and do think I can make the decision. Uggggg!

Well, I don't have experience as a teacher ... BUT I was a private school (private boarding school) and public school student, and my Mum has taught in both a private and public school system ...and we will both tell you, hands down, that private school is the better system.

Now, don't think me high and mighty and snobby and what-not. What's best about the private school system is the class size.

At Stanstead College I was in a class of 8 -- sometimes 12, depending on the class -- kids ... now that's incredible! In public school we were over 40, and where my Mum taught at one point she had over 50 kids in her class ... now that's just insanity!

What private school allows is for more direct approaches of teaching ... that's the best part. granted, you're going to come across kids that have very different "issues" when compared to public school kids (no on is perfect) but I think the structure and smallness of private school make those issues bearable and more easily solved and worked through.

I hope I'm not coming off as close-minded or haughty ... that's not at all what I want ... and as I said I went through BOTH systems, so know ...

If I was going to teach (and all the power to you, it takes great leadership and patience to be a teacher ... both my parents and grandparents are/were teachers ... and I just couldn't do it!) I would choose private school, hands down.

Sorry to go on so long ... hope this helped! blush2.gif

I am not a teacher yet, I have to pass the praxis II test and then I'll be good to go but I think you should probably ask yourself what you are looking for in a school district and maybe that will help you narrow down which school you should teach at. The points mentioned above are all things to take into consideration because class size is a determining factor to some teachers but not all. I know when I do become a teacher, I'm aiming for public school but, again, you should ask yourself what you're looking for in a school/district. Everyone's reasons are different.

So here are some more details..............

I was hired on mid-year last year at a Career and Tecnical Academy, a great school with great kids, they hired me based on my background as a scientist and without a teaching license because I was a teacher from the Museum of Natural History and I taught at a Aquarium for a long time. The principle helped me get my teaching license and created a amazing teaching position just for me in the Biotech/Bio Chemistry area of my qualifications. However will all of the budget cuts teaching spots have been really cut back and many are losing there jobs. During this summer I have been in the process of being hire but it has been a slow process so I started looking out for my financial well being and too a shot and applied at an amazing private high school a block from my house. They are in need of a Chemistry teacher. I interviewed, loved the principle and was offered the position. The position is only garenteed for a year.

I am still waiting on my contact from the other school and there are only 20 days still school starts.

The salarys are just about the same because the private school is giving me a few years experience so that my salary is higher. The benifits are better at the public school of course but that is not really that big a deal.

The private school is a 3 minute walk from my house and my "current" school is about 20 minutes away.

Both school are the best schools in town with regards to the student expectations and standards, which doesn't really matter to me anyways. I have taught all demographic and enjoy them all.

I feel commited to the tecnical academy and feel I should be loyal to them however I am not sure I should pass up a rare opportunity to teach at a great private school.

I really want to just do eany miny miny moe sad.gif

My letter to the private school sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

Hope all is well in Sunny California. This has been a really difficult week for me. After being smitten by Faith Lutheran, another offer planned itself in my lap from my former high school, Northwest Career and Technical Academy. During my brief employment with the technical academy, they pulled me in as a new teacher, gave me an opportunity to try on something new, even got me my teaching license, and now has offered and created a long term position for me to stay with the high school. While I agree that Faith Lutheran is a perfect fit for my personality, commitment, principles and career, I believe loyalty is going to win this battle. This was a very difficult decision for me but feel a long term position is healthier choice for me during this economy and at this point in my career. It would be my greatest request to keep you as a contact for that my teaching career is just beginning. It was a pleasure meeting you and being briefly acquainted with your amazing school and I wish I could have gotten to experience more. I am very grateful to you for your assistance during the interview process, and I thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,