Photo

Advice on guests and events

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#11 ~Debra~

~Debra~
  • 500 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 01:27 PM

Our guests arrived over 3 days and since it was only 30 of us, we invited everyone to the rehearsa/welcome dinner & we had one excursion, a catamaran cruise and the majority of our guests went. The rest of the time was theirs to do what they wanted. I didn't want to plan an event per day because our guests were on vaca as well as being there for our wedding and who wants all their time planned out for them? It worked out great for us.

#12 azulskies

azulskies
    • 1,131 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:42 PM

Thanks ladies! I guess I'm concerned as etiquette goes...are we responsible for paying for a welcome dinner? I just don't know if it'll be in our budget...

#13 s_katrese

s_katrese
      • 182 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 12:27 AM

I only have two plans set out depending on how many guests we have coming.
        Plan A- If we have a small number 20 or less I'm planning to have a rehearsal/ welcome dinner.
        Plan B- If we have a larger group over 20 I will have a get together for drinks/appetizers (pass out OOT bags and introduce everyone) very simple.

#14 purrfected

purrfected
        • 396 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 12:52 AM

We are having a welcome BBQ on the beach on the friday before our wedding. The wedding is Saturday and anyone who wants to go can go horseback riding with us on Sunday afternoon. I put t-shirts in everyone's bag that say "The Robinson Wedding Jamaica 2009" and will advise them to wear them on Sunday for a group pic. I am not planning any other group events or tours. I am going to leave that up to each individual.

#15 sperger

sperger
          • Banned
          • 474 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 12:26 PM

Typically, the rehearsal dinner is paid for by the groom's family - in our case, we are doing a dinner cruise the day before the wedding, and they are graciously footing the bill for that.

#16 Destination Scout

Destination Scout
            • 600 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 03:58 PM

What type of venue do you have? Are you renting a house or something private where you could have a backyard BBQ?
              With excursions, I scheduled out things we were doing and invited everyone to come with us. There's a ton of things you could do in Maui. Snorkeling, hike up to the live volcano, hiking.

#17 Jo 2010

Jo 2010
              • 291 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:26 PM

We are going over this October (wedding isn't until next October) to plan a list of activities.

We are going to provide guests with an itinerary of what we are doing to whole time, and they are free to join in or skip whatever.

So far all the options are below (we have a busy trip planned this year!!) and we will narrow it down after we try them all

A sailing cruise around the north islands
                Welcome Barbeque
                A Shark dive
                Cocktail Afternoon before the wedding (early night)
                Shopping trip
                Volcano Hike
                Wedding recovery session/Pool party
                Jetski safari to southern islands
                Golf Day

We have asked our guests to come on holiday with us, so we want to be available to them - however they are on their own holiday too so have the freedom to do whatever they like.

Most people are planning to arrive 3-4 days before and staying 4-5 days after so we have a while to play with...

Once we get it all finalised I will be begging for creative wedding themed titles for all the activities :)

#18 ~Debra~

~Debra~
                • 500 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 02:16 AM

Krystall, from an etiquette standpoint, you are supposed to pay for the rehearsal dinner. Maybe you can do something that would be a little cheaper than a full dinner. One girl said they did just appetizers and drinks. I don't know if this would be an option for you cut back on costs...

Good luck with whatever you decide!

#19 s_katrese

s_katrese
                  • 182 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 03:21 PM

I know that if you were having a traditional wedding (which your not because its a DW) the grooms parents are suppose to pay for the rehearsal dinner with your parents footing the wedding (ceremony and reception). I am no help with DW etiquette...sorry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users