Photo

How much do you tip your non-wedding hair stylist?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 frazali

frazali
  • 245 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 03:49 PM

I'm in NYC and my hair stylist is expensive - $240 for highlights and glaze. I only get it done about once every 3 months or so.

I went last week, and tipped $30. I think I usually tip $40, but for some reason on Friday I thought that was a lot. I also tipped the shampoo girl $7.

I'm now thinking that I left him too small a tip.

I'm curious - how much do you pay your hair stylist, and how much do you tip (both the stylist and shampooer)?

#2 meghan

meghan
    • 832 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 03:53 PM

$240!! That seems crazy expensive! I go to a very nice salon and pay about $120 for a cut and highlights for half my head. My hair dresser is the owner, and I dont think you normally tip the owner, although I'm not 100% sure....I will usually tip her around $10...lol maybe i'm being cheap with the tipping any other thoughts on if u tip the owner?

#3 JOSIE

JOSIE
      • 1,792 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 03:55 PM

OK so whoops......I've never tipped the shampoo girl! But I tip the stylist 20%

#4 frazali

frazali
        • 245 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 03:56 PM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by meghan
          $240!! That seems crazy expensive! I go to a very nice salon and pay about $120 for a cut and highlights for half my head. My hair dresser is the owner, and I dont think you normally tip the owner, although I'm not 100% sure....I will usually tip her around $10...lol maybe i'm being cheap with the tipping any other thoughts on if u tip the owner?
          I know, Meghan, it's totally expensive. But he does such a good job. I tried the salon where I get my hair cut ( I go for my cut at a place that specialized in curly hair) for highlights and they were atrocious.

I have read that you don't tip the owner, but I think I'd feel uncomfortable not tipping. But that's just me - I think I have a tipping problem - lol!

I think I've read that a salon tip should be 15%.

#5 ~*Kathy*~

~*Kathy*~
          • 5,649 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 03:56 PM

Hmm I don't know, I don't get my hair cut as often as I should and I've stopped coloring it but as a rule of thumb, I tip 10% for most things.

#6 CrystalM

CrystalM
            • 829 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 03:58 PM

I've never tipped the shampoo girl either. I tip about 10% since even at the crappiest salons they get 50% of the actual price.
              I have a fabulous photographer I can share in the United States Virgin Islands in late April/early MayP.M. if interested!http://img.weddingco....pvbh7hxc5u.png

#7 jk1101

jk1101
              • 2,582 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 04:04 PM

AHHHH...NYC prices! Luckily I'm in Jersey... I think the last time I got highlights and cut/blow out it was $150. I gave my hair stylist $40 and 6 to the girl that washed my hair.

I think you're supposed to tip 20-30% to the stylist. I'm never sure how much to give the hair washer - sometimes they do more, like take out my foils, and wash it several times, so I give extra.

#8 YoursTruly

YoursTruly
                • 1,097 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 04:45 PM

I usually tip between 15% and 20%.

#9 frazali

frazali
                  • 245 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 09:40 PM

Oh boy, so my fears are confirmed - I did undertip!

I guess no matter what the bill you really should tip at 15-20%. My fault for going to such a pricey place - but $45-$50 tip seemed like a lot!

#10 Vikki

Vikki
                    • 807 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 09:58 PM

My service is usually around $80 or so and I tip about $10. Maybe it's too low. I've always wondered and never asked. I know they get 45% of the service + 10% on product.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users