***Melia Las Dunas Brides***

ashey063009

Hey MLD brides and grooms!

I thought it was about time that there was an MLD thread. It's a great way to collect information, and ask questions -- all in one specific place.

My DH and I just returned from MLD last week, and I would be more than happy to answer any questions anybody has for me. Also-- I PROMISE to post my review muy pronto! :)

I hope this works out as a great space for us all to keep in touch!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that is a great idea!

There are a lot of MLD brides and it will be helpful. (I'm getting married there in 14 days! I can't believe it...)

Ash - First, congrats! Hope everything went as you wished.

Can you tell me if the new gazebo is ready? Gina (same as Melissa) told me it was inaugurated in June, but I would like to have confirmation that it's true from someone who just went to the resort. I hope you'll post your review before I leave! (Will you? smile159.gif)

Thanks Virg! And congrats to you too!!!

Do you have a picture with your guest in the gazebo, if you don't mind to share? cheesy.gif

We are 15 going + the cuban trio + WC + notary = 20 so it will fit, yeah!

Are the chairs an option or is it impossible to have some in the gazebo? With the bridal party and me & my FI, we would only need 8 chairs...

Ok, I will try to get all my questions in one post!

1. How about thefts? I read on TripAdvisor the scary reviews... I asked the same in the FB group, but how about your experiences?

2. Did you have problems doing your personalized ceremony? (Virg, I read yours - beautiful!)

3. Is their a possibility to have a private area in the Italian restaurant, or is it a open concept?

4. How about mosquitos at this time of the year? And did it rain a lot?

5. What was the best thing the resort did for your wedding, and what were they not good at doing?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryyy View Post
Ok, I will try to get all my questions in one post!

1. How about thefts? I read on TripAdvisor the scary reviews... I asked the same in the FB group, but how about your experiences?

We had no issues with theft whil we were there-- it seems as though it was an isolated incident. As long as you are a smart traveller (don't flaunt excessive wealth, and never be rude to the staff) you should be just fine. :)

2. Did you have problems doing your personalized ceremony? (Virg, I read yours - beautiful!)

DH and I had mocked up a more personalized ceremony, but in the end opted not to do it-- we were a little concerned with time constraints as our ceremony was at 6pm. However, they are DEFINITELY open to accomodate you in any way you need-- the WC will read whatever you ask her to. My recommendation-- do someting personal. I wish we would have actually incorporated our vows. sad.gif

3. Is their a possibility to have a private area in the Italian restaurant, or is it a open concept?

It totally depends on how many ppl you are having. If your group is smaller they will put you into an a la carte automatically for your reception dinner. However, larger groups can have their receptions at the poolside restaurants. We had 31 ppl and had our reception at the poolside by the adult pool, it was AMAZING!
If you choose to do it at an a la carte there isn't really a private area. The only one that seems to have a separate area was "El Romantico" which has two wings on either side that can accomodate up to 20ppl. I would recommend El Romantico before the Italian restaurant, as we preferred the food there. But it's totally personal preference.

4. How about mosquitos at this time of the year? And did it rain a lot?

The mosquitoes were HORRIBLE!! Bring a TON of spray. Virg, I'm not sure how your group did, but we were all eaten alive by the end of the week. They actually default groups to the a la carte restaurant because the mosquitoes aren't as crazy there-- while they are nutty at the poolside.
We didn't have much rain, only one day was "rainy" the rest had about 10 minutes really late at night (11pm - ish) But for the most part, our week was very sunny.

5. What was the best thing the resort did for your wedding, and what were they not good at doing?

In my opinion the resort's organization really stood-out to me. I felt more than confident in trusting Maria Elena (OUr WC) once we had our meeting. They are great at decorating for the ceremony and reception sites. Also, our reception service was OUTSTANDING! The wait-staff was top notch, and really took care of our guests on the big day.

The only point that was a little sticky was the hair app't timing-- which I should have changed in advance. My app't was at 4pm and the ceremony was at 6. They finished my disaster at 5:30, and I was left bawling in my room with my phenomenal sister fixing my coif. Other than that, it was smooth sailing!

Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance!
Never, ever apologize for questions. That's why this form is sooooo great! Happy to help smile03.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virg View Post
Hi Maryy! We were married at the new Gazeboon June 30th. we had 26 guest in all + 3 in the cuban trio + WC + notary. so 31 people fit in there, BUT eveyone had to stand, no sitting room.

HEy Virg!! So happy you're back. I LOVED the gazbo-- so glad you and Mike were able to fit everyone in. Took some TTD photos there, it was so gorgeous-- and the weather that day was phenomenal. Can't wait to hear how everything went. Hope you had a wicked honeymoon. :)

Thanks for the info Ash, it's much appreciated, glad to here you had a mostly positive experience...I wish I had a hair stylist friend/relative :P, I will just leave lots of time and hope for the best. Are you planning to do a reviewhuh.gif (hint hint), plus I would love to see pics!! Congrats! I'm getting excited already and it's 10 months away still...sigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmacphe View Post
Are you planning to do a reviewhuh.gif (hint hint), plus I would love to see pics!! Congrats! I'm getting excited already and it's 10 months away still...sigh
Hey Ladies-- My review is up! I hope it helps-- I've never written a review before. blush2.gif

http://bestdestinationwedding.com/forum/t45890

Please feel free to let me know about any questions or concerns. I'd be happy to answer anything you may need to know. :)

Sj, it'll be here before you know girl! 10 months will quickly fade into a week or two-- I'm excited for you!