Sign in to follow this  

Ok, so this actually pertains to all Mexico, however my friend was married in Riviera Maya. Anywho, one of my friends was married in RM...do not remember what resort but pics were gorgeous! So they got down there to take the blood test and get all of their documentation in order. Wedding went off beautifully. She waited the said amount of time to receive their legal marriage license in the states. Well when she got it...it was in Spanish! She took it to the court house to file it in preparation for all the other fun name changing activities. Well they said it had to be translated to English for them to file it...cost was $500!!! So they decided to get married at the court house, it was cheaper!

Not sure if this was a fluke or if others had a similar issue, but wanted to make others aware.

Even though we are going to Jamaica I decided we will do the legal marriage before we leave. smile72.gif

maureen,

i don,t know if you could answer me a question please.i spoke to the translations department as advised by my ta to confirm what we needed to translate into spanish prior to travel i,e birth certificate etc.she said because we are both single and have never changed our names we don,t need to translate anything.is this the case as far as you are aware?

Hi shellk,

I just got married legally in Mexico and only had to email a copy of my passport to our wedding coordinator at the resort. Nothing needed to be translated! I asked many times if we needed to bring our birth certificates and the answer was no b/c neither of us had changed our names previously.

We received our marriage cert/license in Spanish before we left the resort. We were told that we should receive a translated copy in 1-3 months! I plan to wait to change my name once the English version arrives.

$500 to translate sounds CRAZY. There was an "option" at our resort to have the spanish version translated for $40. I got both before we left our resort. And I took both with me to change my name the very next day we got back to the US.

Just to clarify, I wanted to make those who are getting married in Mexico aware of my friends' situation so it could be avoided in the future. I thought that was crazy.

I personally have been debating on legal marriage prior to wedding because of the wait to change everything over. We plan on buying a house shortly after we get married and my realtor said it would be much easier and less paperwork in the future if our last names were legally the same. Mine was a different reason, sorry if it didn't sound like that...

I received my apostilled certificate from Mexico in Spanish and was expecting to receive it that way. Unless the resort specifically states that they are going to send it to you in English, I think it is pretty safe to say that it will almost always be in Spanish. I changed my name on almost all my stuff (just a few things left) but most places didn't even ask for the certificate, let alone a translation...but I will get it translated if required. $500 seems pretty expensive for that kind of service.

We weren't required to translate anything into Spanish but after some confusion we decided to do it anyways just in case. We found an official translator who translated our birth certificates for $90. $500 seems crazy expensive!

Maybe this is a little off-topic, but are we supposed to register our marriage once we are back in the US? I'm not changing my name so I don't need to do it for that reason, but I would like our wedding to be "official"... I got married in the Bahamas, so our marriage is supposed to legal in the US - what I don't understand how would the US even know we did this thoughhuh.gif

I've tried searching online but the best I could find was to consult the attorney general of your state - I couldn't find how to do that though..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy View Post
$500 to translate sounds CRAZY. There was an "option" at our resort to have the spanish version translated for $40. I got both before we left our resort. And I took both with me to change my name the very next day we got back to the US.
Thanks for posting this Betsy! I'm also getting married at MP and am happy to hear that the translated copy you got at the resort worked out for you here. I'm definitely going to be make sure I have this done before we leave to come back home!

I am beginning to think that a WC is a must in order to get things like this covered as our wedding will be the real deal in Cozumel. I want to avoid any hassles like a $500 translation fee...