Sign in to follow this  
whitechocolate

Birthday proposal (his - not mine!)

Saturday, May 2 was Tony's 28th birthday. It was a nice day, and he suggested going for a bike ride. Before we left, he asked if I was bringing my camera with me. I'm thinking, "What in the world am I going to take pictures of? It's a bike ride!" But he just said, "What, I can't have pictures of my birthday?" This made perfect sense to me and I suspected NOTHING! Little did I know...

We rode for quite awhile and I was getting increasingly annoyed because he kept trying to talk to me and you just can't hear someone when they're riding in front of you! Somewhere on the way back, he wanted to follow a little path that branched off the trail. I thought, "Oh lord, now we're going off-roading?!" Still not suspecting a thing, too busy being annoyed.

At the end of this path was a river that was flooded from all the rain we'd had recently. We stood and looked at the river...watched a couple ducks think about getting in the river and then change their minds...looked at the river some more... This was pretty unlike Tony to spend so much time quietly observing nature (he's a much more on-the-go kind of person), but I thought he was trying to be nice by letting me rest and enjoy the surroundings. Ha!

After a bit, he said he was tired and wanted to sit down. I sat in front of him and leaned back against his knees. He said, "Tell me a story," and whenever he says that I launch into the story of how we met and everything that's happened since then, so I began the story: "Once upon a time I met this boy and he called me and I was too afraid to answer the phone so I let it go to voicemail..." Etc., etc.

I was reaching the end of the story when Tony said... "And then we got married." I turned around and gave him a look like 'knock it off, you know how sensitive I am about that subject, don't even start with me.' Instead of making a smarta$$ comment like he normally would, he just kept looking at me expectantly. I wondered why he wasn't saying anything but still didn't suspect anything. I just thought he was trying to mess with me.

I felt the tiniest nudge at my side, looked down, and literally jumped off the ground. My brain couldn't even register why I had done that, but then it started to sink in...he was holding a ring!! I stared and stared at it, trying to tell myself to pay attention, this is really happening!! After what seemed like quite awhile but probably wasn't very long, Tony said, "..You didn't answer me...?" I shot back, "You didn't ask me anything!" with a huge smile on my face. He grinned sheepishly. "Oh yeah...will you marry me?"

YES! woot.gif

(And then we took lots of "birthday" pictures... What a sly boots he was!)