Calling Canadian/Winnipeg brides

Krayzeekitty,

My best friend bought her dress from Stella's and was very happy with it. The designer was behind on production so she didn't actually get her dress until like 2 weeks prior to her wedding, which was back in June, so it took almost 7.5 months, Stella's reasurred they would get everything done before her wedding and they did! Alterations were done up to the day before her wedding! lol My friend was a bit picky, but Stella's held to their word and had her dress done before her wedding!!

The mirror on the cieling is really nice!! It is crazy hot back there with all the lights though! Gotta love the free hot chocoloate, and specialty coffees too! lol

Did you go with a lighter dress for the tropical weather? When I briefly looked there, they had a very small section for destination weddings, but I only briefly looked while my best friend was pickeing her dress, my priorities were to her!

Are you going to do a trash the dress photo session? I want to do one, so I am hesitant on spending a lot of cash on my dress!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jenn

The dress I chose is not too heavy - have a look it is Alfred Angelo style 2007 with the sash in sage (ivory). Let me know what you think.

Yes we are doing trash the dress. Very excited. Most dresses do not get ruined from what I have read. If mine does - that is a sacrifice I am willing to make to have those pictures!!! I will never wear that dress again but the pictures I will use over and over again!! I definately understand though about spending the money on the dress and being hesitant!! Just try on lots and lots! Or you could get a seperate dress for trash the dress. One of the cheapest ways to do that is to buy a bridesmaid dress in white/ivory.

I do remember Stella's being hot now that you mention that! I am glad that you have good things to say about them! Seems every salon in Winnipeg has a bad reputation from somebody!!

Have a great evening!

Krayzeekitty,

That dress is beautifull!!! Perfect for a tropical climate!! what are you going to wear for shoes, I would lie to do heels, but I`m not about to sink in the sand on my walk down the aisle! Was thinking barefoot, but that seems kinda wierd to me... Out of curiousity, was that dress in their destination section?

This is the style that I am interested in, I'll have to see if anyone has it, or something similar. I`m not about to fly to New York to check out this store! lol

White Beaded Waist Evening Dresses by Gigi

Hi Jenn

LOVE LOVE that dress! Perfect for a DW. The back is hot! You should print a picture and bring it to the salons with you. That is what I did with a different dress I liked and Labelles actually had it!

My dress I am pretty sure was on this round rack that had destination/less dressy dresses.

For shoes - I am planning to make bare foot sandals to wear at the ceremony but it would be great to wear wedges for pictures but that might not work because of the different length the dress will need to be. I am going to talk to Stella's (just found out yest that my dress is in!!!! eek) It is a tough decision. My FI is 6'3 and I am 5'1 so I don't want to look so tiny in all the pictures! Heels might sink in the sand. If you are having an indoor reception you could always switch shoes afterwards? Have a look through some threads on here - see what some other brides have done.

I will keep my fingers and toes crossed that you find your dress!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Joss!
We totally have the same bags. Do they have a little blue button to hook them closed? Our colors are kiwi green, aqua and brown, so they worked perfectly for us too!
Great idea on finding some different ones for the bridal party. I'm going to keep that in mind.
Haha, yup, those are the bags i got. I'm super stoked to have found such cute, cheap bags, as now i can focus on some fun / useful things to put in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn&Kraig View Post
I was just thinking about the oot bags, I heard Dollarama and Michael's are good places to go. As for filling them, what are you guys using? I have heard people doing an eng to spanish phase book, apparently you can pring one online at this address:

bottled water, flip flops, little signature bottle of local alcohol, are some thoer ideas.

How do you guys plan on giving everyone their oot bag? For my group we will all more than likely be flying on the same charter, so we will be arriving at the same time. So it doesnt give me time to have them set up in their rooms.
I found Michael's to be pricier than dollarama, but definitely keep your eyes out for sales and print off their 40 - 50% coupon online, it will save you lots.
I spoke with the wedding coordinator and she said once everyone gets their hotel room assignments, the hotel will distribute them for a "small fee." I figured we might just do the rounds to say hello to everyone who might not be on our flight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn&Kraig View Post
Are you doing a wedding website? I have started one at Wedding Venues, Wedding Cakes, Dresses, Invitations, Planning, Advice for Perfect Weddings!, I haven't sent it to friends or family yet as I haven't confirmed a resort...lol..but I have at least started it! I wanted to get the hard part out of the way.
Nice site! Wedding websites are such an awesome way to keep people up-to-date and informed. We put updates on there, and then just call people who are internet inclined. Here's our website: Sean & Jocelyn - Our Wedding Website

Lots of beautiful dresses ladies. I am pleased to report that i finally found my dress! I ended going to David's Bridal in Fargo, and they were great there.

I couldn't narrow it down between 2: one was v-neck strapped with a deep v-back (but it was a heavy satin! Hello sweat and awkward TTD session),

David's Bridal - Satin A-line gown with twist strap detail, ruched waist, and bow in back.

the other a chiffon, floaty strapless dress.

David's Bridal - Chiffon soft A-line with beaded lace on empire waist and back train

In the end it was the strapless. Not quite as classic and formal the strapped one, but more beachy. If the first had been a light satin, taffeta or chiffon, it would have won hand down.

Joss,

Love the dress! Great choice :) I checked out your website too, you've done a wonderful job. I've had trouble b/c people are not going to ours! It is the best way to communicate with everyone, but people check it out once and then don't go back to see the updates. Frustrating, but what can you do.

Thanks for starting the social thread too. You are on top of it today!

Krayzeekitty,

I actually emailed the dress to Stella's as apparently they are the only store in wpg that carries GiGi. They unfortunatly do not have that dress though, I asked about having it ordered in, and they said that evening gowns are a bit different than wedding dresses. Designers only make a certian amount of a evening gown, once they are sold out, thats it, kaput! Where as with wedding dresses, you order them in.

So I'm not too sure what to do. Katrina from Stella's suggest that I wait until dec-feb as that is when they get all their grad/evening gowns..which is the catagory my dress woul fall under. That is when they get all their GiGi dresses.

So I will just have to see, I do have time on my side right now, but I don't it to pass me by either!

I will keep you posted!