Calling Canadian/Winnipeg brides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn&Kraig View Post
Hey KPEG!!!

We are Winnipeg as well!!...although we are not quite engaged yet...we are planing for a destination wedding Feb 2011...lol, we are thinking of Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe or the Majestic Elegance, we went to Sell Of Vacations, south st. vital, and spoke with Melissa, she advised if we have a min of 10 people we can get a group rate, and once we come to Jan/Feb 2010 she an check on group rates, as they will not become available until that time for Feb 2011.

Have you thought of any resorts yet, or a date?

Congrats by the way!!!
Hi Jenn&Kraig,

No, I have no clue where to go (resorts), I feel totally lost. I know I wanted to go to Punta Cana in May and have the ceremony in a gazebo with a beach view for around $1500 from Wpg. But it seems like I'm having some real difficulties. Maybe I'm being unrealistic. At least you're decided!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Calchik, congrats on the wedding! You looked beautiful. Tell me about the experience. That was one resort I sort of sat on for awhile. I know you're from Cgy, but can I ask about the pricing you got from there? I'm on a budget and so are my guests. thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzeekitty View Post
congrats and welcome.......... I am a fellow pegger but getting married in Cuba. Happy Planning!
Krayzeekitty, congrats on everything. How did you do?? All the planning? Where did you start and how did you decide on Cuba?

Thanks KPEG. We decided on Cuba because no one that will be joining us has been there before. Seems like everyone has been to Mexico, Jamaica and DR. We also have family coming from the UK and they can fly into the same airport as us. The legal requirements are easier than Mexico (from what I heard) and we also wanted to be on an Island.

The planning has been going slowly........ once we decided on a resort/location we contacted a few travel agents and got quotes and the great thing about having a few travel agents working with you is they will price match each other back and forth-as long as you let them you that you are getting quotes elsewhere.

We still have SO MUCH to do but it does seem less stressy than having a city wedding!

If you have any questions don't be shy!

All the best!

Hey there KPEG....I am originally from MB, but now live in Edmonton. We just got married June 9 at the Paradisus Punta Cana....obviously I'm biased but I believe this is THE Place to get married!!!! Look into it atleast. Half of our guests travelled from Winnipeg (Air Canada) and their trip for one week in June was approximately $1700.00. From the research I did planning our wedding May and June prices are quite similar. When we were booking we wanted our trip to be less than $2000.00 and figured those who want to come will come, and obviously those who matter will come too. This resort is definatly worth the "extra" dollars, and our wedding was amazing. Feel free to message me for more info! Chow!

Hey KPEG!!!

Well it is actually official, we are now engaged!! He proposed a week ago, after the bomber game!!

Now this planning is official!! However I really wont be able to narrow my choice until the pricing comes out in January.

We wanted to keep our pricing to under 2 grand for one week if possible. What Kraig actually suggested...and any of the winnipeg brides will understand this....we are going to have a wedding social, and whatever money is left over from our costs of putting on the social will go towards our family and closests friends costs to attend our destination wedding. So that should hopefully help them out!!

We have contacted Melissa at Sell of Vacations on St. Annes, spoke with her once, and she seemed very knowledgeable (sp) ,and very accomodating and friendly, we plan to work with her once the rates come out in Jan 2010. So I would recommend speaking with her, but only her...lol the other girls there were not as friendly! lol!!

You can mention we are the couple with the little pom puppy that visited her!! lol...keep me posted on what you guys decide!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn&Kraig View Post
Hey KPEG!!!

Well it is actually official, we are now engaged!! He proposed a week ago, after the bomber game!!

Now this planning is official!! However I really wont be able to narrow my choice until the pricing comes out in January.

We wanted to keep our pricing to under 2 grand for one week if possible. What Kraig actually suggested...and any of the winnipeg brides will understand this....we are going to have a wedding social, and whatever money is left over from our costs of putting on the social will go towards our family and closests friends costs to attend our destination wedding. So that should hopefully help them out!!

We have contacted Melissa at Sell of Vacations on St. Annes, spoke with her once, and she seemed very knowledgeable (sp) ,and very accomodating and friendly, we plan to work with her once the rates come out in Jan 2010. So I would recommend speaking with her, but only her...lol the other girls there were not as friendly! lol!!

You can mention we are the couple with the little pom puppy that visited her!! lol...keep me posted on what you guys decide!!
That's so awesome! Congrats to both of you!! I was kind of like you, in that we were "planning" our wedding before we were engaged too! We were thinking of having a social but after thinking about it, it sounds like a lot of extra work and expenses that we were trying to avoid. Maybe it's because we'd be doing it all ourselves (trying to sell tickets to the few people we know, getting prizes and food together, etc). We are not planning on having a wedding party, just the two of us and our immediate families.

But yes, having a social is ideal for a DW too! Afterall it's still fundraising for the wedding! All the best, congrats again and keep me posted!

Hey ladies - I am a relatively new Winnipeger (am originally from Halifax), we too decided to go with Cuba! I have never been but friends who have been to our resort say the beach is just amazing, and it's quite affordable from here. I have so far just sent out invites, decided on my dress and that's about it - I have more to do obviously but it should be really manageable (that's why I wanted a DW)! If you need any help/ideas let me know! PS- We are not going to do a social or an AHR, I am just too busy to plan it all and we have no family here, but it's a good way to make some extra cash if you have help :).

Congrats sjmacphe. Cuba was a second choice to me. I have never been either but hear it's wonderful. I have been to the DR a couple of times for me but always to the north side. This time I'm venturing south for the caribbean sea. keep us posted on your wedding planning progress! I'm finding it really helpful to hear from other Winnipegers planning a DW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPEG View Post
That's so awesome! Congrats to both of you!! I was kind of like you, in that we were "planning" our wedding before we were engaged too! We were thinking of having a social but after thinking about it, it sounds like a lot of extra work and expenses that we were trying to avoid. Maybe it's because we'd be doing it all ourselves (trying to sell tickets to the few people we know, getting prizes and food together, etc). We are not planning on having a wedding party, just the two of us and our immediate families.

But yes, having a social is ideal for a DW too! Afterall it's still fundraising for the wedding! All the best, congrats again and keep me posted!
KPEG,

We are not really having a wedding party either, a maid of honor and best man, as for planning a social, pm your email and I will send you a break down of a to do list for it, I was the maid if honor at my bf's wedding this summer, and did the whole social planning thing, its really not that difficult, you just have to be organized, and have some friends that are willing to help you out, taking a shift at the door, selling booze, prize tix....

If you don't know a lot of people you may want to consider doing a social around a theme to draw crowds!...like St patty's day...halloween...etc..more people go to those types of socials!!...Sending out an invite through Facebook should help as well!

For prizes,..I can also email you a template for printing out letters to hand out to companies requesting donations, etc, it is a bit work, but if you are determined you can do it!!!

I just thought I would through it out there!! In case you change your mind on having a social!!

What resorts are you considering for Punta? Another option that may be more cost effective would be the Mayan Riviera in Mexico..Playa Del Carmen? We were considering that one, but Kraig had already been there, so we decided to go somewhere neither of us had been!

Do keep me posted on what you decide!! Its so nice to have someone from the same city planning a DW in the same destination that you are!! lol

What area of the city are you in if you dont mind me asking? We are in South St Vital!