My Engagement **long**

Guess it's about time I wrote this :)

FI got engaged on January 13th, 2009 in Mexico.

FI and I have been dating for over 8 years (will be just about 9 by the time we say our I Do's). By this time I'm thinking that the proposal will never come. We had started talking about getting married after about 2 years of dating - so many times I had thought "I just know this is going to happen soon". But no.

My friend owns a jewellery store and I was telling FI about a ring she had gotten in recently. I told him that I wanted to take him to see it and he agreed!!! Unbeknownst to me, he had already bought it! He had to call the store while I waited in the car and ask them to take it out of the safe and put it back in the display. I imagine the sales ladies were all laughing while I went into the store, all excited that the ring was still there, and even tried it on (a bonus, FI says, as he knew for sure that it fit!!)

So in December FI suggests looking into a vacation. This should have been my first clue. This was our first real vacation together. People would say to me "Oh you guys are going to get engaged". I just laughed. After all this time I had quit expecting anything.

We went to the Mayan Rivieria in early January. Everything was great! The second night we were there, our concierge left a bottle of champagne in our room with a letter that said Congratulations! I thought this was weird, but FI said maybe they just did that for everyone.

Our 3rd night there we had planned a candle light supper on the beach. Originally, FI was going to propose this night. He talked with our concierge who convinced him to wait the next night and they would do something special. Thank goodness, cuz the beach dinner was a bust! It started to rain and the wind was whipping stuff all around! They moved us inside, but forgot FI's meal! Not impressive at all! After the supper I went back to the room to change while he went to get us a table at the bar. I get to the room, and there are candles all around the tub, which is filled with bubble bath and rose petals. Again, you think I would have caught on by this point, but no. I go back and tell FI that he needs to go and talk with the concierge as I think we ended up with someone's romance package.

The next day FI goes and talks with the concierge. He tells me that they're going to redo our candle light supper since it went so badly. So that night one of the staff comes and picks us up at our room in a golf cart and takes us to a private gazebo. FI explains that they didn't have any tables left on the beach. Once we get to the gazebo, there is a waiter waiting with a bottle of champagne - I'm thinking, wow, they must have felt bad about our supper! We had a fabulous supper served by our own private wait staff. At the end of the supper, FI stands up and tells me that there's another reason he wanted to come on this trip. It wasn't until he started bending down on one knee that I figured it out!!! While I stood there blubbering like a baby, our waiters brought out cake while humming the wedding march. After supper, we went back to the room to find a trail of rose petals and candles leading to the tub, filled with more rose petals and bubbles. There's also balloons and flowers everywhere!! It was fabulous and well worth the wait!!!