A Puerto Rican Wedding Completed! Vendor Reviews

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 rachiecakes

rachiecakes
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 03:16 AM

Hey gals!

The "PR Brides" thread was getting a big long, so I thought I would make my own little thread here.

I just got back from my wedding/honeymoon in PR and I was so happy with just about everything related to the wedding that I wanted to share some reviews and pass on recommendations for the vendors I used. It's all about web2.0 feedback these days :).

So I'll be making separate posts under this thread for each vendor that I used. I know that I really wanted to find a post like this while I was in my planning stages, so I figured I would give a little back to the community. Plus I get to relive my wedding memories a bit longer!

#2 rachiecakes

rachiecakes
    • 11 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 03:36 AM

So alright, I figured that I would have to start with the woman who made it all possible-- my wedding planner!

This is the basic info:

Name- Lisa Rodriguez
      Website- Click the image to open in full size.

#3 rachiecakes

rachiecakes
      • 11 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 04:02 AM

When Adam and I were looking for a location on the island, we didn't want something opulent. We had a budget, and we needed to try to stick within it. That meant that the Ritz Carlton, El Convento, and the El Conquistador were out, as lovely as those venues were. We just couldn't afford them.

We ended up deciding on having the wedding at the Caribe Hilton, specifically the Hilton Atlantic Gardens.

The room that we got was one of the Lagoon Villas. It had an ocean view, and it was very nice. From the other rooms of the guests that stayed at the hotel, the rooms range from very basic (and a little dingy, to be honest) to really nice.

The problems I had with the hotel:

The bedding smelled like fish when we first went into our room. That was quickly changed.

The maid service showed up late on the day of my wedding.

The hotel was very family friendly. That might be a plus for some, but it was frustrating for us. We are a young couple, and we are also night owls. Our neighbors, however, were not. They called in two noise complaints one night when it was just the groom and I in our room talking to one another. Combine this with the fact that the neighbors kids loved to wake up yelling and making a lot of noise at 6am did not help our relations to say the least.

They do not have laundry services on site. This means that if you need to steam your wedding dress, you will have to do it with an old fashioned iron yourself or you can use the bathroom shower to steam up the bathroom.

The staff switches around a lot. I had three different banquet coordinators in between October to June. No joke.

You pretty much need to take a taxi or drive yourself to get into the historic district of San Juan.

Nonetheless, there were things that I really loved about the hotel:

The ceremony site was absolutely.gorgeous. No ifs ands or buts. It was also just what we wanted--- something ocean side, but NOT on a beach. I have a father who is in a wheelchair, and he needed some terra firma to get around. This, really, was the most important aspect of the hotel for my purposes. I was not disappointed.

The fort at the location (yeah, the hotel has its own historical fort) is great for taking pictures. You cannot go inside the fort, but it makes a nice backdrop.

The lobby area is also really beautiful.

And I did not do this, but according to my new hubby the hotel has great snorkeling.

I loved the pool area and the staff overall was very accommodating. We sometimes tried to 'bend the rules' a little bit (like staying in the hot tub after nine pm), and our behavior was mostly tolerated by the staff. They didn't want the hotel to be held liable for anything, but they didn't want to ruin our fun either.

Oh-- and the hammocks on the grounds were to die for.

So overall, I would give the hotel a 3.5 out of 5 stars. If I were just to rate the ceremony site itself and nothing else, it would get 5 out of 5.

#4 DRod0214

DRod0214
        • 173 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:17 AM

wow, great infor for future brides. You handled all the hiccups very well. Congrats
          Diane

#5 rachiecakes

rachiecakes
          • 11 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 11:30 PM

So we had the planner, and the ceremony location. The next vendor we booked was the photographer.

Name: Glen Weisgerber

We were lucky enough to get Glen for our wedding. Let me just say that Glen was a total pro. He was easy to communicate with online and quick to respond to emails, and he was also on time! He was also very friendly in person.

He would give direction when we needed it but he made sure to be unobtrusive when needed as well. I was shocked when I saw the type of images he got during the ceremony because I had no idea he moved around so much! He was also very flexible and open to different ideas for the pictures. We also just loved his photographic style. He really captured the emotion of the moment.

I would give Glen a 4.75 out of 5 stars.

Below is a link to one of my favorite photos from the wedding.

Picasa Web Albums - rachel.w.lilly

#6 rachiecakes

rachiecakes
            • 11 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 11:39 PM

Since we were having a destination wedding that many loved one would not be able to attend, Adam and I knew early on that we would need a videographer.

Name: Ian from Blink and Sin Pictures

What we really loved about our wedding video was that it wasn't a traditional video. It was more a video that captured the emotion and the feel of the ceremony without simply filming it. They created what was almost like a beautiful music video. I also loved though that they made sure to preserve the wedding vows and the ring exchange as simply a straight recording, because that moment was perfect enough that it shouldn't be touched.

We also had an afternoon with Ian shooting what they call a "Lovebirds Story" where we walked around Historic San Juan and Ian filmed Adam and I bonding. It really was a lot of fun-- we got to fly a kite at the fort, and I got drenched in a fountain. Ian was there to capture it all. I found it helpful that Ian had some ideas ready for us to film, because I feel awkward around cameras. He helped put me at ease.

I was also worried that having a separate photographer and videographer would lead to 'creative differences' as I had been warned about this by other brides. But Ian and Glen got along very well, and they consulted one another to make sure that both got the shots that they felt they needed.

I would give Blink and Sin Pictures (despite their weird name, lol) a 4.5 out of 5 stars.

#7 rachiecakes

rachiecakes
              • 11 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 11:42 PM

So those were the main vendors that Adam and I were concerned with. We worked with a lot of other professionals such as a florist and a guitarist who did lovely jobs as well. If you want reviews of those vendors I will post them, but I am now at the point where I am wedding fatigued!

#8 Soon To Be Mrs. Gomez

Soon To Be Mrs. Gomez
                • 1,326 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 03:08 PM

Very good review. Congrats! You looked like a very happy bride!!!!

#9 BlakleyBrideToBe

BlakleyBrideToBe
                  • 2,115 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 09:47 AM

Great Review! Congrats and a beautiful Wedding! You look amazaing!

#10 MsSunshine

MsSunshine
                    • 415 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 02:10 PM

Congrats! Thanks for sharing your review :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users