• Please log in to reply
563 replies to this topic

#191 amyrot

amyrot
  • 188 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 08:05 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Emmers
    How are people getting stuff down there? We are flying Air Mexicana, so we get 2 bags each, although DH would like one of his bags to be his golf clubs. Even without clubs, it seems like getting 75 OOTs and menus/placecards/programs plus all the other necessary items (we had a destination engagement and DH used a fake ring....this time we need to use the real ones ha) is going to be tricky. Ideas? Other than giving what we can to other people travelling, which may be hard since my family is in Indiana and his family is in NY and FL?
    Emmers- I think I"m scrapping OOT bags or making them very tiny- I might actually only do the travel mugs and a 'welcome' letter. I'm not sure- most airlines are now $25-$30 a bag extra. I'm going to really pack as light as possible, although I say that now....... Luckily my fiance hasn't mentioned bringing his clubs!

Shannon- I think maybe Tiger lily's were what I was trying to think of! They're white but pink kind of in the middle? Since you are having it in the chapel I can see wanting to really get the flowers 'right'! I'd be the same way!

#192 finleys7

finleys7
    • 703 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 12:45 PM

Emmers - It's hard when you have family everywhere. We are lucky that my whole family is coming down and has volunteered to take stuff. My dad and FI will have their clubs as their 2nd $50 bag. Jet Blue only allows 1 checked. So we are paying for the extra. But my sister is taking her daughter and even though she'll be 13 months, she had to buy a whole seat, so that's another bag =)

Mom will have 1
      Sister will have 1
      Niece will have 1

And I am hoping that is it. Plus the in-laws are coming the next day...so whatever we don't fit, they can take. The bulkiest thing for us will be the t-shirts. All others are small.

****We registered for a luggage scale. It's a device you hook to the top of your bag and lift and it will tell you the weight. That way no one will be over 50 lbs.****

Amy, tiger lillies are pretty...lots of pictures on the web. What color are the girls again?
      Shannon

YEAH---We Did It! **May 1st, 2010**
      Our Wedding SlideShowMy Wedding Review - Iberostar Paraiso Del Mar http://bestdestinati....-2010-a-58966/My Planning Threadhttp://bestdestinati...ding.com/fo....

#193 amyrot

amyrot
      • 188 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 04:12 PM

Quote:
        Originally Posted by finleys7
        Amy, tiger lillies are pretty...lots of pictures on the web. What color are the girls again?
        The girls are a bright green/turqoise....TOTALLY not something I thought I'd ever pick. I love more subtle subdued colors. But, Kevin's sister is only 14, and we saw this cool Jr bridesmaid dress that was this green color. So then we kind of went with it!I can't believe I picked it. I think a little pink paired with the green/turqouise would be cool. I can't really think of another color besides white. Of course my monogram is a blue.... maybe I could have Rebecca change the color if I use it for luggage tags!

#194 amyrot

amyrot
        • 188 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 04:19 PM

Shannon, Ok so I just looked up Tiger lily and thats not it....I got the idea from what Lily the WC sent me in some pics. If I can figure out how to post the pic I will!

#195 LDeeken

LDeeken
          • 200 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 11:21 AM

Emmers - We are flying USA3000 with Apple Vacations. Our first bag is free, but we will most definitely have to pay for at least 1 or 2 more. In regards to the golf clubs I think all the guys are going to just rent them at the course. When we went this summer my all the guys raved about how the clubs they rented were the best they had ever used! I think it will also save them from the hassle of toting those to the airport.

I'm kind of with Amy when it comes to the OOT bags. I have been to wedding out of town where they put so many great things in the bags, but you never end up using them. We are just going to try and be VERY practical. Maybe a mug, inflattable rafts (got these at another wedding and they were amazing), and maybe a lanyard to hold their room keys.

An idea my mom came up with was sending our guests a few things beforehand like luggage tags, a travel case for their passports, etc, and a spanish for dummies mini book so they can practice on the plane. Just a suggestion!

Also, I think the less decorations you bring down the better. If you just use what the resort has then you don't have to worry about packing more items. We are also thinking of getting our favors from a place in Playa del Carmen. There is a chocolate place called Ah Cacao that another bride used and had brownies for all of the guests. We are going to do that and make a donation to a charity.

Anyhow, hope that was helpful!!

Shannon - GREAT idea to register for a luggage scale!!

#196 amyrot

amyrot
            • 188 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 11:20 PM

Hey Leah yeah I'm just being on the very practical side as well. I really like the idea of the luggage tags. I'd like to make them myself if possible and I like the lanyard idea as well. Then I'm thinking the mug for each person and possibly a raft per ROOM. Even if I have 40 people, just the mugs ALONE will take up a ton of space! I really want to do the mugs, so anything beyond that is going to be minimal! I am not paying $30 a bag for too much of this extra stuff. Not to mention carrying the dress! Also I'm definitely using whatever the resort can provide in terms of flowers and not bringing any decorations. I just want this to be stress free. I just feel like when we really don't know what exactly the set up is...its hard to plan for things until you get there.
              For my AHR, I have to make 25 centerpieces....so that is enough assembly for me!
              I was thinking of doing name tags for the reception, but I think I'm just keeping it fun and informal in Mexico and people can sit where they want!

Now that I've chosen to stay at the Lindo, I'm realizing the website is SO vague with what restaurants are there. There are FEW pics with no real description. I also don't know- do the Maya and Lindo share restaurants?

#197 LDeeken

LDeeken
              • 200 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 12:51 AM

Amy - I was thinking of doing 1 raft per couple and then little tubes for each of the kids. I actually already picked up some of these up at Walmart a few months ago for like $1.00 a piece.

For the tables at the reception I think you can purchase flower centerpieces and maybe rose petals for the table.

The Maya and the Lindo do share restaurants. There are 2 restaurants that are exclusive to the Maya (Japanese and Gourmet) however the Lindo has each of those as well. I think I mentioned before that our friends had their reception at the Gourmet restaurant at the Lindo. We had one long table and they sat at the head of the table. It was very intimate and we were actually in a back room that was separate from the rest of the restaurant. There was even a sliding door that closed.

#198 Emmers

Emmers
                • 178 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 01:06 AM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by LDeeken

I'm kind of with Amy when it comes to the OOT bags. I have been to wedding out of town where they put so many great things in the bags, but you never end up using them. We are just going to try and be VERY practical. Maybe a mug, inflattable rafts (got these at another wedding and they were amazing), and maybe a lanyard to hold their room keys.

An idea my mom came up with was sending our guests a few things beforehand like luggage tags, a travel case for their passports, etc, and a spanish for dummies mini book so they can practice on the plane. Just a suggestion!

Also, I think the less decorations you bring down the better. If you just use what the resort has then you don't have to worry about packing more items. We are also thinking of getting our favors from a place in Playa del Carmen. There is a chocolate place called Ah Cacao that another bride used and had brownies for all of the guests. We are going to do that and make a donation to a charity.

Thank you everyone for the great OOT ideas. I had heard about the mugs (I think my mom first mentioned it) and it seemed like a very practical item for the guests. The rafts are a cute idea, too, especially since you can collapse them for packing. I really like the idea of sending items in advance, especially the passport cover and spanish-for-dummies. You are absolutely right about the hassle in bringing too much down with us. The wedding dress alone will be quite a feat. We were trying to think on a smaller scale as well when it came to OOT bags - knowing that the mugs will take up a lot of room, we were thinking of things they may need that week, like chapstick with spf, ibuprofin, aloe, etc.

Thanks again to all for the great ideas!

Emily

#199 Barefoot in the Sand

Barefoot in the Sand
                  • 43 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 02:17 AM

Hi Everyone,
                    I read the OOT bag thread and ended up taking items out of my OOT bag because others said that they did not use them. I would suggest this. I have heard some people mention chapstick so I am going to put a link to personalized chapstick on here.

Quality Lip Care Company in Ohio | Lip Balm Express

Mandee

#200 Barefoot in the Sand

Barefoot in the Sand
                    • 43 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 02:23 AM

I was there in July and saw the flowers they were gorgeous. She told me that you could choose from any array of flowers but some will cost more. I know that orchids cost more. However, the arrangemet that I saw had gerber daisies, lilies, roses, and cala lilie.There were orange and pink and breath taking.

Mandee

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by amyrot
                      I guess I"m not too worried about the flowers. I don't have any sample pics of bouquets, not surprising since she won't STILL write me back.

I do have sample pics of flowers around the actual wedding set up- the Arch. I have two different examples. I thought they were both very pretty. I can't really think about flowers at the dinner because I have no idea where its going to be or if it will even be private!

I will feel better once I start looking for ideas and if I can go down there with what I want , and a back up plan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users