Dress shopping alone?

I think you should definitely go by yourself!

I brought an entourage at first and ended up buying a dress I ended up not liking at all. I went shopping by myself a few months later and became a two-dress bride!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. I went dress shopping with my MOH and it was not a helpful experience. Anytime something looked bad (and most of them did) she would bust out laughing. That's just her personality and one of the 39204320497 reasons she is my best friend. Decidedly NOT helpful for wedding dress shopping though. I got so discouraged that I didn't look at a bridal dress for 6 months.

When I got "back in the game" I knew I was going to do it alone and it was overall a much more pleasurable experience. I've been living with my body for 27 years, I know in my gut when something looks good, and I trust my gut. Nobody else's opinions matter anyway, as long as you feel beautiful in the dress, it is the one for you!

Reasons why dress shopping alone is way better than taking your entourage:

1. Less chatter and you can listen to your inner voice.

2. You can take as much time as you want and visit as many stores as you want.

3. Take up less real estate at the crowded bridal salons on Saturdays. It is like a zoo at peak hours.

I am in a similar situation because I too have relocated and do not have any close friends or family to shop with in my new location. While I was initially nervous about this, it ultimately proved to be a great thing for me. I have a tendency to be a picky shopper and hate when people "fuss" over me. Dress shopping alone allowed me to browse without people insisting that I try styles that I'm not so interested in. It gave me a chance to narrow down dresses/stores that fit my style without so much attention on me. Once I found a dress that I really liked (found it quickly) I brought a good friend who was in town visiting to check it out. It really worked out great for me and I think you will find a lot of freedom with some solo shopping.

I got engaged a little over a year after arriving in Houston. All my family is in France, as well as my friends. I do have 2 or 3 friends here in Houston, but not so close as to come with me dress shopping. And I had only 6 months anyway ! So I went dress-shopping alone. Each time, I asked the sales person to take pics of me, or even mini-videos with my camera for the ones I liked best. If pics were not allowed, I was taking them in the changing cabin. But even in these places the vendors were sensitive to the fact that my mom could nto be there with me - and I must say, because my name is Muriel, I felt a lot like Muriel's wedding - that poor chick taking pics or herself in wedding dresses even though she was not going to get married, saying it was for her mom that was sick ! Lol. It made me laugh.

Anyway, I posted the pics and the videos on a share site and sent the link to my BM and my mom to see. Once I narrowed it down to 5 dresses, one of the girls (the wife of DH's best man) came with me to see them in person. We narrowed it down to 2. Then I chose myself.

I enjoyed the experience even though I felt sad at times. But I liked trying on dresses, and being able to make my own selection without being influenced by others. The shared site allowed me to share anyway !

what you could do is start by yourself, and once you have narrowed it down to 5 or 10, plan a fun week-end where you have your mom/friends come over...

I prefer to shop for clothes alone. Im a pretty big tomboy and so is my Mom. Neither of us really care about all the girly shit that goes along with weddings. I went to the little bridal shop in the town I live in one day because I was bored. Tried on 3 dresses and in less than 20 minutes had my dress bought. I dont think its a big deal if you dress shop alone - personally I wouldnt have done it any other way.

I would take shopping alone over shopping in a group any day!!

My first experience was in a boutique (by appointment only) and my group was my daughter, mom, sister, and best friend. I felt there was way too much fuss made over me and felt a bit ridiculous.

The following week I went to the local dress shops and tried on a few here and there...and always had the salesperson take a picture so I could send it to my mom for her opinion. I did take my daughter with me another day and she was pretty excited and gave me an honest review.

Nothing really popped out at me though...except for this dress that I kept seeing online. So I called all over the province and it turns out they had one sample dress in this style in a city 1.5 hours away from me. That Friday night after work, my FI and I hopped in the car and drove to the city...and with 10 minutes to spare before the store closed...I went in (alone) and tried on the dress...and decided that it was the one for me!!

I agree with this as well!! When I was shopping for a dress the sales woman told me that it is often better to come alone or with just one person because sometimes people will sway you to a dress that they would like if they were shopping for themselves rather than you! The sales people are so helpful, and if you feel that you need a second opinion you could take some pictures. I think that you do know when you find "the dress"! Good luck with this... I was nervous about the experience...but it turned out to be so much fun!