Ahhhh! I was just reading someone elses thread about STD's and just about everyone's responses were to send the STD's as early as possible (about 1 year ahead) and then a few months ahead, follow with the formal invitation. Now I am freaking out, cuz I thought the STD would function as the invitation for the DW part of it and the invitation would be for the reception at home! [panic attack] What do you all think?!

Do I need to send STD and invitations for the DW and then another invite for the receptionhuh.gif

Well, it's really up to you. With a DW all rules are thrown out the window. If you are going to supply enough information on the STD that people are going to book and RSVP to you using that, then it should be fine. The actual invite is more of a formality.

Carly, I think it just depends on timing and how much information you give your guests. For example, my Save the Date had the date, the venue, the American Airlines discount code and our website, so not a ton of information. But it also said "Invitation to Follow" so guests were aware we would be sending an actual wedding invitation like normal with a chance to RSVP.

It also depends on your guest list...do you think your guests need a friendly reminder closer to time...will they RSVP to a Save the Date, etc. Chances are, if you only send a Save the Date early, you will be following up a lot with your guests closer to the wedding date...most say "YES!" I'll be there early, and then closer to time they might realize they can't make the trip, etc.

So it all depends. But I would definitely do a separate invitation for the reception.

Totally depends on what information you're giving with the STD. And for us we only had a couple people book with the STD's, once we sent out the invites people actually got their acts together and started booking.

How were you able to get a discount code? Did you have to have a certain group size? And what % did they offer you?

This is a nice thing to be able to offer guests!

fogdog, I made a new post about this topic under the "Travel" section of the website...didn't want to hijack!

Let me know if you have any questions about it though!