Canadian groups with Sunquest

Hey All,

So awhile back I remember posting some pros and cons of booking your wedding so far in advance. Ugh--Im facing the cons!

We booked with Sunquest back In March for our May 2010 wedding....I wanted to get it done, and relax and be happy its done! I even booked our reception, photographer, you name it......

So, Im online today browsing around on Sunquest...and I see that they have flights out for next May from Halifax. Our group of 27 is booked to fly from Toronto ( Most of the group is from Newfoundland, and of course...they don't offer direct flight from NL) Also, back when we booked, they said they wouldnt be offering flights out of Halifax, so Sunquest advised us to book and have the group meet in Toronto. So a few weeks ago we called and inquired as to when the flights would be out...we knew there was a chance we could leave a day early or day late...but had tentatively booked for May3rd to depart. They said it wouldnt be for another few months cause May is part of their summer schedule....so ok.

Then I go online and see flights from Halifax for May 2nd. I immediately called my travel agent.......she called up Sunquest, now they say May is part of their winter schedules, and that flight info is not 100% out, but is being scheduled...and as of right now--they leave Toronto May 8th. TOO LATE, MY WEDDING IS MAY 6TH. Changing the date is nto something I want to do, people have already scheduled vacation, including my bf who works out of the province...anyways---Sunquest said not to panic...there may be a flight added, "may".....but who knows really.....maybe there won't be a flight added.....and I cant wait too long to figure it all out , can I?

So now we're looking at the group leaving Halifax, May 2nd....is sucks, because now I have to tell everyone, "sorry--not toronto..now its halifax" people were looking forward to hanging out in toronto for a few days etc etc...and what if the new group quote comes back higher? I just feel like people will start to question me now---Im so stressed about it.

Has anyone ever had an experience like this? Does it all work out? Do you think i should keep toronto as the departure city--and hope they add a flight? This is prob why booking early is NOT a good idea.....*sigh*

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, to add to my vent....I just spoke with a friend of another friend who is a travel agent......turns out both flights available from toronto the first week of May (the 1st and the 8th), one is sold out, the other on the 8th has 10 seats left! So right now---there are no options leaving toronto for us...I dont get it--how are we "booked" since March--but we have no flight?

Hi Marie,

I totally feel for you... I am also getting married in early May 2010 and I originally wanted to pre-book back in March/April as well, but because the prices I was quoted was much more than I wanted to pay, I am deciding to wait until the "posted/contracted" package prices come out... which kind of sucks because my guests want to know ASAP when to book time off but I don't want everyone to book at a higher price than they should have to.

I hope everything works out okay

I try telling myself that Dmitri_Markine. But I think it's easier said then done when you aren't the bride or groom....people say the same thing to me, but I cant relax til I have a plan again..it would be different if it was myself and fi, I wouldnt worry so much.......but it's us, and 27 guests booked, and deposits paid.

I think thats what gets me most? Where the hell did our deposits go? Just what exactly am I booked for? Im booked on a non existant flighthuh.gif May1st was put out online, and booked up fast by the public...now May 8th has 10 seats left? I dont understand where or how a group of 29 people have NO flight, yet Sunquest are offering up other flights to everyone else? Its frustrating. And of course, being on here--I know Im no the only bride looking to get married in May! lol...we're all booking up dates and stuff......Id like to know if I can get a flight--so that I can arrange dets with the resort, ALL over again if need be.

I'm not sure about booking land and air seperately.....it always just seemed easier booking the all inclusive....something we have to check into I guess.

I feel your pain!! We booked with Sunwing 20 ppl Winnipeg - Holguin a few months back and just found out last week that Sunwing will not be flying that route anymore!! So we are back at square one!! How can they book something that doesn't existhuh.gif? Yes we got our deposits back for the Canadian group but we have people already booked seperately from the UK with non refundable deposits!! grrr...... The only other tour operator that goes there from Winnipeg is Air Canada vacations - we are still waiting for our quote back.

Let's both just keep positive and hopefully it will all work out!

I don't really have the greatest advice, but I can tell you that we, too, endured A LOT of stress because of our Sunquest booking!

We booked our Nov. 2009 wedding back in March 2009. At first it was no problem, and we got a decent price confirmed for our group. Then ALL OF A SUDDEN, we were told that there were only 14 seats left on our flight, with no other flights leaving that day OR THAT WEEK. We totally freaked out! And we felt like idiots because we then had to scramble and put pressure on our guests to book (even though the RSVP date was really far away). So we harassed a bunch of guests who agreed to book immediately.

Then, about a month later, our TA notified us that there were now 73 more seats added. We were so frustrated because we had totally stressed out thinking that our guests wouldn't be able to come due to lack of seats on flights. And we felt sooo bad for putting pressure on our guests to book so quickly...

All in all, we were really lucky that it worked out. And it seems like Sunquest really does add seats/flights as the date gets closer. It's an extremely frustrating process, and I sincerely hope it all works out for you...there's nothing worse than having to keep telling your guests different things...we thought they were all going to start thinking that we were being sketchy about things...good luck to you!