jawedding

Are you paying for your bridesmaids dresses?

I haven't entirely decided, but I know we will be paying at least a portion of it. I agree with others -- figure they are spending all this money to come celebrate with us, it's the least I can do to. 

I have 7 bridesmaids and am only paying for 2 of them. Finding a dress that everyone liked was  tricky and also at a reasonable price, but we did it. To be honest I didn't really want to have 7 bridesmaids but i felt obligated, so I do not really feel bad about not paying for all at all. I am happy that I do now as it will be a wonderful family event. But it just wasn't in the plan! we only have 3 groomsmen lol. The cost of the flowers and stuff is almost as much as the dresses! everything just adds up. None of my bridesmaids had a problem with paying and they all loved the dress and can definitely wear them again. In an ideal world I would of loved to be able to have bought them all.

I have this problem with my BM too.  I ordered the dress and now she's making a lot of excuses about why she can't come.  It's quite annoying to have bought a custom made dress and now I'm stuck with it.  I can't even think of anyone else that can wear it so it was a waste of money.

Originally Posted by Amiep603 View Post

Well i have 3 sisters and before my fi and I set anything in stone we asked our familys if they would be willing and able to go to mexico for our wedding and they all said yes :) so I asked my 3 sisters to be in my wedding and he asked his 2 brothers to be in our wedding and everyone said YES :) so my fi and I bought all the cloths for the boys including fathers and the dresses for the girls including mothers......arent we nice lol! the wedding is 4 months away and 2 of my sisters just told me they can no longer come WTF!!! I totaly understand it is expensive but dont say you can swing it then change your mind!! so now I have 2 extra dresses SWEET!  Oh and to top it all off one of my sisters is getting married in 2 weeks in another state and we are all traveling for that and he hotel is over $350 a night!!!! My one sister that IS still coming to my wedding is paying more for the 2 nights fo rmy older sisters wedding in RI then she is paying for 5 nights in MEXICO!!!!! AGH just needed to vent a bit sorry ladies!!

I plan on buying or at least contributing.  I found the BM dresses I love at davids' bridal for only $99.  I figured it would be one less burden on them.  I only have 4 girls so its not too big of a hit on me.

I paid for my BM's dresses and ordered them and shipped them to them. They needed slight alterations so they paid for them. Originally I told them to just pick any dress in a certain color but they were struggling with it so I just went ahead and sent them!

I keep going back and forth on this. I haven't picked my dresses so I don't know how expensive they will be. But I might just pick a dollar amount and give that to each BM's for the dress rather than paying for the whole thing.

I think it depends on how far the wedding is away from the bridesmaids. That can be a big expense right there. Since ours is so far away, I am paying for the dresses. But my mom said that is not the norm. I just think its the right thing to do