Are you paying for your bridesmaids dresses?

I have one bridesmaid. She is paying for her own dress, about $200, but I am paying for the alterations, I bought her jewelry and a gift and I am paying for her hair, her pedicure the day of and a massage her day of...

We are providing our best mans shirt too.

I'm planning on doing what my best friend did for me when she asked me to be here MOH (by sending me on a scavenger hunt! haha) She gave me a $100 to get a dress for her wedding in Thailand. Since I only plan on having 2 BM I will do the same for them and they cover any extra cost, plus pay to have their hair done for the big day.

I have 3 bridesmaids and I fully intended to pay for their dresses since they are already spending a lot of money just to attend the wedding. One of my bridesmaids found some awesome dresses from J.Crew online and ordered them for everyone. The girls absolutely love them and they look amazing but with the exchange rate, taxes and shipping, the cost came to just over $300 a piece! Yikes! I was expecting to pay that much for all 3! Not sure what I'll do now...maybe offer to pay for half?

Since I only have a MOH, i bought her dress, jewelry, a beach bag with her monogram, and I plan on paying for her hair to get done. Her dress was only $40 though (super cute) so I've spent about a total of $150 on her so far. If I had more girls, I wouldn't have spent that much though.

I did make and send out wishbone charm necklaces I made from Michaels (cost me about $4 each) to 6 of my best girlfriends with a letter saying how much they mean to me as "unofficial bridesmaids" but I'm not getting them anything other than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRama View Post
I have 3 bridesmaids and I fully intended to pay for their dresses since they are already spending a lot of money just to attend the wedding. One of my bridesmaids found some awesome dresses from J.Crew online and ordered them for everyone. The girls absolutely love them and they look amazing but with the exchange rate, taxes and shipping, the cost came to just over $300 a piece! Yikes! I was expecting to pay that much for all 3! Not sure what I'll do now...maybe offer to pay for half?
Ouch...

Did your bridesmaid confirm the price with you before ordering?? If not, that is pretty forward of her to just order dresses that she was not paying for. I want to pay for my bridesmaids' dresses too but I also intend to keep the reigns on what I am buying and how much I am spending (with their input of course, but I get final say). If my BMs insist on a more expensive dress, then I will ask them to chip in for it. If you did give the okay to order them and didn't confirm the price AND offered to pay for them, then it may be difficult to get out of paying for them without it looking bad. If you didn't communicate paying for the dresses, then I would think you are okay to either offer to offset the cost or let them buy it and you can buy something else for them as an appreciation.

Hi everyone! I have paid for my 3 bridemaids dresses and also all of the shirts for the men and I only spent a total of about $200 (that is for 3 girls and 6 guys including the two fathers). I went to Carson Pirie Scott and found amazing dresses on the clearance racks! Right now most major department stores have AMESOME sales on their dresses. For a destination wedding you can get a great deal right now. I had to do some searching at a few Carsons to find the right sizes but I save A LOT of money. The dresses were all originally $150+!!! There are some really cute Calvin Klein dresses on clearance as well. So, for those of you looking to save some cash, definitely check it out soon!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSNM View Post
Ouch...

Did your bridesmaid confirm the price with you before ordering?? If not, that is pretty forward of her to just order dresses that she was not paying for. I want to pay for my bridesmaids' dresses too but I also intend to keep the reigns on what I am buying and how much I am spending (with their input of course, but I get final say). If my BMs insist on a more expensive dress, then I will ask them to chip in for it. If you did give the okay to order them and didn't confirm the price AND offered to pay for them, then it may be difficult to get out of paying for them without it looking bad. If you didn't communicate paying for the dresses, then I would think you are okay to either offer to offset the cost or let them buy it and you can buy something else for them as an appreciation.
I think we just got carried away. We really loved the dresses but no one really did the math. Rookie mistake! We've since discussed it and decided that they're just not worth the price (they're J.Crew cotton dresses) so we're sending them back. The good news is, we found the same dresses in an "end of season" color that are a fraction of the price! Crisis averted. :)